“Needs much improvement!!!”

Howard Johnson Inn - Historic ST. Augustine FL
Ranked #61 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed March 4, 2008

The owners of this hotel need to take into consideration the location of where it is and improve the room's conditions in all aspects. Everything news to be remodeled or new ownership.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Inn - Historic ST. Augustine FL

Reviewed January 29, 2008

My son and I needed a place to stay for the night before flying out on Skybus the next morning. This hotel was inexpensive and did the trick- nothing spectacular, but we only paid 49.99 for the night. It was clean, the bathroom looked newly remodeled, they had the toiletries on the sink, and a heating lamp in the bathroom. If you go, don't eat at the place across the street- absolutely terrible. This isn't the Hilton and I wouldn't recommend it as a destination, but if you're on a budget and need a place to sleep, this was just fine.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank aNHFamily
Reviewed January 21, 2008

my wife and I stayed here on jan 19, 2008 we got the jacuzzi suite for 150.00 dollars the room smelled like wet dog and was poorly lit.. Mind you I picked this place b/c it was my anniversary. after spending time in the room the roof of the hotel over the bed fell down and also on the bed.. It was horrible.. also, they check us out of the room and give us a complimentary downgraded room that smelled even more awful.. Ruined our whole trip and would advize anyone not to stay here.. It looks at a glance but once you enter its the hell zone.. unsafe and stank..

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank edwinrdiaz
Reviewed January 18, 2008

We stayed in this hotel on a trip to St Augustine. We thought it would be nice due to location and price. We were wrong, we paid 90 dollars for "honeymoon" kinda of suite with jacuzzi inside room. Room was very dark, bathroom a hole in the wall with ants crawling all in sink and on floor. Also, the jacuzzi stopped working a few minutes after turning it on! We complained to management and got nowhere. We even offered to just pay for the cost of a regular room but we didnt feel we should pay the extra cost for the room due to the jacuzzi not working. They would not budge or even go to the room with me so I could prove the hottub didnt even work and there were ants in the bathroom. We got nowhere with the manager. I then called their corporate office and all I got for my efforts was a 50% off coupon for a stay AT THAT SAME HOTEL that EXPIRED IN ONE YEAR. PLease, how is that customer service?

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bellegsd
Reviewed October 16, 2007

I picked up one of the coupon books at the interstate rest center, and got a real low rate. It looked a little worn, but had new paint job. Room was as could be expected based on age of hotel The hotel staff was so friendly though, that they knew my car and placed my forgotten cell phone charger on my car while I had breakfast...saved my butt on my vacation. Very good location for visiting Fountain of Youth. Long walk to rest of historic St Augustine though...suggest tram which picks you up in the parking lot.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Tom L
Reviewed August 12, 2007

The hotel is not really near where you want to go.... a little too far to park your car and walk to the historic district. The hotel looks nice outside, the room is okey, but the bathroom.... it was disgusting!!! It smells of urine, dirty... the floor.... i have to wear my slippers in the tub, because i don't want to go barefoot, too afraid to even touch the walls. The towels are not white... didn't use them. Bought new ones to use while staying there.
I can say that the clerks are very nice, just can't stand a dirty bathroom.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank biyahe_lagi
Reviewed May 25, 2007

Beautiful exterior; Great oak tree- ate supper under it twice. Good location, ample parking. Had smoke free, pet free room. Beds were tired, but not uncomfortable. Lighting not very light. Room cleaned well except for urine smell in bath; stale, old, probably soaked into tiles. Breakfast OK for this type of motel.

Stayed: May 2007