“Icky smell, cheap, good location”

Days Inn St Augustine/Historic Downtown
Ranked #68 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed May 5, 2008

We were on a school trip and the room was pre-booked and I had no choice but to stay. I wore shoes the entire time in the room and was there to sleep and shower only. The major complaint is the smell of the room. They must use a very powerful room deodorizer which instantly gave me a headache. I left the door open for while and turned the noisy a/c on/up. We lost a phone and while looking for it found a few things that were left behind by others which is a clear indication that the rooms are not cleaned very well at all (ick).
Sheets were clean, t.v. worked and I think there was a little fridge and microwave....didn't use, look at or even touch either one. Coffee maker was dirty and water from the sink was yellow. Not sure why...but it was dark in color.

Since we had to walk for everything, the location was conveniently located to the historic district and the Fountain of Youth. So, if you just need a place to sleep...perfect. If you are looking for anything more then that, I would recommend another hotel. The Holiday Inn is literally next door...and gets much better reviews! :)

• Stayed: April 2008
1  Thank Fauner1
There are newer reviews for Days Inn St Augustine/Historic Downtown

Reviewed April 29, 2008

Days Inn Historic - Terrible
April 22,2008
Frequent traveler, Toms River, NJ
My granddaughter's feet were as black as coal from the rug. The management argued that the rugs were cleaned the week before. All I asked was that someone come in and give the rug a good vacuuming. The rug is black in color so I guess they felt it wouldn't show the dirt. The smell in the room was horrible.
I had booked for 3 nights and stayed 1.

Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed April 19, 2008

We were surprised at how expensive lodging was priced in St Augustine. We wanted something fairly central, without paying too much, and this place fit the bill. It does sit on a busy highway, but all the rooms are well away from the traffic. It's less than a 10-minute walk to the city gate at the north end of the old town area. St Augustine is such a delight to walk around, it was good leaving the car behind for the day.

Check-in was efficient. Apparently they offer a discount with the restaurant next door, but the town itself has far more better options.

The decor of the place is a bit tired, but that has no impact on the comfort now does it? The room was clean, with a good shower. I noticed the door was a bit loose on its hinges, which let in a draft (Florida was having a chilly spring, with a strong north wind that night) but it was only a slight inconvenience and by no means a security issue. The fridge rattled a bit, so we unplugged it.

I couldn't get an outside line on the phone which may have been a fault or maybe outside calls are blocked until you ask reception. I didn't ask because I had my mobile anyway.

I can't say if the place offered breakfast. We went back into the old town for coffee and pastries at a wonderful cafe instead, beating the midday crowds.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank Redbeard_Travels
Reviewed April 12, 2008

We were so looking forward to our visit in St Augustine. Several hotels we inquired about were booked so after much searching, we decided on Days Inn.
When we arrived the receptionist was friendly and checked us in.
Upon going up to our room ... that is where the disappointment began. The room smelled with some strange odor that did not go away the entire time we were there.
The room was dark and dreary, not a room you would want to relax in. We were looking for places to go so that we didn't have to hang out in the room.
The air conditioner was LOUD.
There was about a inch crack under the doorway.
The bathroom was extremely small and no vent.
The cleaniness needed a lot of TLC from someone, dust was everywhere.
The carpet was only vacumned in the open areas, corners and baseboards were dirty.
Behind the door in the bathroom needed a good sweeping and mopping.
They say you get what you pay for ... and I am beginning to believe it.
But when you hire a cleaning crew to clean they should at least do the basics....
When we checked out we were not asked how was your stay or anything, so that tells me they know and just don't want to hear it
I would not go back to this hotel and will probably never stay in a Days Inn anywhere.

• Stayed: April 2008
2  Thank resecup
Reviewed April 10, 2008

This property is the best organized of any that we have stayed in with a motor coach full of Middleton Place volunteers and staff. On first contact the handicap room was not available however we were assured it would be completed in time for our arrival and it was. We faxed a list of occupants and roommates pre our arrival. On arrival the rooms were all assigned as per our list with a master list for me. 40 people were checked in, within minutes. While the office processed my charge card my assistant handed out the keys. It took longer to get the luggage off the bus than to check in. Our rooms were all in the same vicinity and the bus was able to park directly in front of our rooms. We were originally disappointed that this property did not offer breakfast, but the Denny's on property took good care of us who rise early, even though they were a little understaffed at 6:30 AM. The Old Towne Trolley picked us up at the hotel for a prearranged private tour of the city. Coming from Charleston where hospitality is abundant, our hats are off to Days Inn on Ponce de Leon, Old Towne Trolley, Casa Monica, Barnacle Bills, A1A and St Augustine!
Virginia Mizel, Museum Director, Edmondston-Alston House
Middleton Place Charleston SC

Stayed: February 2008
Reviewed December 27, 2007

We stayed at this hotel for one night. We were pleasantly surprised with the hotel. Our room was located on the first floor and it was spacious. The especially liked the location. It is within walking distance to Castillo san Marco. Would definitely stay there if we visit St Augustine again.

Stayed: November 2007
Reviewed July 12, 2007

We spent one night here as we were traveling through Florida.
Our double room was clean and attractive. We didn't use the pool but it looked very nice. The staff was friendly and helpful.
The motel provides a free shuttle to the Old Jail/Trolley area. The onsite Denny's was good for breakfast. We enjoyed our stay and would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family