“No longer worth the walk.”

Days Inn St Augustine/Historic Downtown
Ranked #67 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Florida
“No longer worth the walk.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

I have reviewed this hotel twice before and been disappointed in it the quality both times. The only saving grace was the value considering its location to downtown St. Augustine. That is no longer the case as the negatives finally outweigh any benefit; a few extra bucks and you can stay at a very nice alternative. For ease, I will list the negatives: the toilet required that you hold the handle down the entire flush plus some to complete the disposal (waste of water is an understatement), the carpet is unbelievably disgusting, five swipes with a wet wash cloth on the carpet turned the washcloth from white to pitch black (no exaggeration), the bed cover had what I will politely describe as a "brown stain" on the underside, the closet consists of a wood dowel for hanging and a piece of plain wood for a shelf, only 2!! drawers for clothes (yep 2!!!).
Do yourself a favor and pass on this one, try the Ramada right behind it which is priced similarly and is currently undergoing a renovation.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Jane P, Manager at Days Inn St Augustine/Historic Downtown, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
I am sorry to learn that your stay with us was not pleasant. I would also like to let you know that we have done some upgrades and also changed toilets in the rooms. We are still working on upgrading our rooms. Hope you will give us another chance to show we try and work hard to keep our guests happy.

Thanks,
Jane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

Yes, I know it's a Days Inn, but we often stay in a Days Inn Suites in Savannah historic district (Inn at Ellis Square) and it is very nice so i was expecting a similar Wyndham property - not even close.I normally post pros and cons but I honestly cannot think of a single positive thing to say so here goes.

The room was simply nasty. Our white socks were black on the bottom from walking on the filthy carpet. I won't detail the condition of the bathroom, but suffice it to say, it was disgusting. The white bath mat looked like someone had used it to work on their car. The washcloths were so threadbare, they had holes in them. The bottom sheet (sandpaper) was too small for the mattress and I woke up to find I was sleeping on bare mattress because the sheet kept coming off the bed. So why did we stay? It was a holiday weekend and there wasn't much else available. I don't know what the maids do at this place, but they certainly don't clean the rooms.

Also, this was not an issue for us, but this place is on the far outer edge of the historic district- a good 25-30 minute walk, and one you wouldn't want to do at night. And you are automatically charged a fee for the safe. Ours had no door. That part did give us a good laugh.

Bottom line, unless it's last minute and a holiday weekend, there are many nicer places in St Augustine in that price range.

Oh I almost forgot. We had an upgraded room lol! I can't imagine what a standard room must look like.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Jane P, Manager at Days Inn St Augustine/Historic Downtown, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
I would like to thank you for staying with us and letting us know about your stay. I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay at our property. I will make sure that your concerns are addressed with our staff and taken care of. I hope you will give us another chance to when you come back.

Thanks,