“Looks are deceiving”

Howard Johnson St. Augustine/ I-95
Ranked #71 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed October 17, 2006

Driving to our vacation in Southern Florida, we stopped at St. Augustine for there were many hotels conviently off of Interstate 95. Disappointed that our first choice hotel had no vacancies, we went to the Ramada. Our first room given had stains on the ceiling and the carpeting was soaking wet. No problem getting another room. The second room was also stained (ceiling and carpeting) and the bathroom fixtures were rusty and leaking. The exterior look of the hotel was very nice but the rooms needed updating. Blanket on bed felt dirty and very stained though the sheets were crisp and clean.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank 5burgers
monacomontecarlo, Manager at Howard Johnson St. Augustine/ I-95, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2007

In the fall and winter of 2006 we did many renovations. We changed all the carpet in all the rooms and we also changed the leaking acs in the rooms to prevent wet carpets. Furthermore, we replaced all the vanities, sinks and sink fixtures in the bathroom area.

Reviewed November 28, 2005

We stayed at this hotel over the Thanksgiving holidays. We were gouged at other hotels. This hotel however was reasonably priced and was clean and although it says its downtown in the historic district it was too far to walk to all the shopping areas. I thought this was a good deal.

• Stayed: November 2005
4  Thank Aprilbar
Orlando, FL
Reviewed July 11, 2005

To start off, we had to insist on a different room due to the first having a serious mold problem in the bathroom. Although this is a 2 Star hotel, it is no reason for it to be filty, both rooms were musty and stinky. The outside of the hotel is very nice looking until you are up close where you can see the dirt, cobwebs, and dead bugs all over the place.
The mattress was very uncomfortable. I would not stay here again! For the price (which is not that inexpensive), it is not worth having an unpleasant stay at.
I must admit, the staff was very accomodating when we complained. Too bad they don't resolve their problems before guests arrive.

• Stayed: July 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Germany
Reviewed May 3, 2005

I found this hotel very nice!! After having a bad night in Orlando (Days Inn Int'l Dr) this was like heaven for me.
In several other hotels in the neighboorhood I asked for the rates but most of them were too expensive for me (one person).
Although this is not the cheapest hotel it was a great pleasure to stay there.
They gave me a room in the upper floor, the other guests I met on the way to visit my room made me feel safe. The staff was very friendly, everything was clean. The location was nice, too.
After I spent a very well night I deceided to stay longer for one more night.

I would recommend this hotel to everybody.

• Stayed: September 2004
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 3, 2005

In all my travel experiences, I have never encountered such an awful place. As a single, female traveler this was the first time I felt completely unsafe. Being tired I decided to stop for a few hours rest before continuing with my trip. After checking into my filthy, cockroach infested room, I wanted to leave. However, a number of drunken individuals congregated right outside my door (outside doors - never again!), and were actually sitting on my car. Their language was horrible and they were screaming at each other for hours. I was afraid to leave my disgusting room. All of a sudden the filth and the cockroaches seemed like a very small problem. The group finally disbanded at 3:30 AM when apparently their beer ran out.

On check out I asked to speak to the Manager who was "Unavailable". I repeatedly have called to speak to the management and left messages that went unanswered. I paid $88 for the priviledge of being terrified to leave a disgusting room. Please travelers, BEWARE when stopping at a hotel you have not previously checked out on TripAdvisor. I never will again.......

• Stayed: March 2005
7  Thank zpam03
Florida
Reviewed March 14, 2005

Very dirty place, a shame for a nice hotel. Staff was unreasonable, but eventually I got a credit check sent in the mail. Stay away... checked into the Hampton,, and it was GREAT.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed December 22, 2004

This had to be the worst place that we have ever been to. It was filthy, dirty, we did not even take our shoes off the entire time. Vending machines did not work, 4 light bulbs out, comforters had cigerette burns on both beds,the floor in the bath was absolutely grose... all hbo channels in spanish...was told a full breakfast when reserving on online.haha.....not so. I took my whole family own vacation from Myrtle Beach,SC,,,,I was totally embarrassed. Had it not have been so late, we would have left and demanded my money back...Let's just say...it was the Bates Hotel.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member