“After reading so many terrible/bad reviews I chose to go anyway”

Howard Johnson St. Augustine/ I-95
Ranked #69 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Sebastian, Florida
“After reading so many terrible/bad reviews I chose to go anyway”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I am an easily pleased person and have read many bad reviews but chosen to go anyway and had great experiences. I searched for a hotel during race weekend at Daytona and couldn't find another cheep hotel with vacancy, so I went. While I am still glad I went and had a wonderful time exploring the town, However............

The hotel is the most run down, unclean hotel I have ever stayed in in my life!

Pros:

~I got there at 2 to see if the room was ready and a girl from Brooklyn was at the counter. She was awesome!!!

~No one cares what you do. The pool sign says closes at 11 but not enforced.

~The pool is 8 1/2 ft deep

~has smoking rooms/pool area

~Continental breakfast is awesome! make your own waffles ;-)

Cons:
~Check-in at 5 was crappy with another boring unfriendly clerk.

~Beds are listed as queen but clearly are much smaller than that because they dont align with
the headboards and I know how big a queen bed is, I have one.

~The room had a musty smell which I have had before, no big deal.

~The AC only went on freezing

~upon check in there was only 1 towel in the bathroom and the light was so faint it made the room a hazy orange. You could barely see.

~The floor behind the toilet was an 8 inch square missing with a hole going god knows where because I couldn't see with the orange light. I would pee quick out of fear something would crawl out!

~At one point the light stopped working and we had to use my phone flashlight to pee. It later came on when switching the switch on and off really quick.

~The room was way to small to be advertised for 5 people. there was a small table and 2 chairs that no one could walk by.

~Went to the office (not friendly in there, never smiled and was annoyed I was asking for towels) to get pool towels and they said they would bring them. I asked for 5 and got 3 when he came.

~Ice machine runs out fast

~By far the dirtiest hotel ever.
Hair on the toilet
Shower filthy, (stayed one night and showered at home the nest day)
hair out on the tiles by pool (big giant clumps like out of a hair brush randomly spewed)
pool was not properly vacuumed.

NOW THAT YOU READ THIS FAR!!
Let me suggest hotel 8 (cheapest)or days inn(same price as this dump) both right across the street from this dump)

If you have to go because there is no place else, then here are some tips:
Bring your own towels and blankets and a pair of slippers or flip flops to not be barefoot!

Inspect your room upon arrival, especially the bathroom!!

Do not leave any valuables when you leave, staff looks shady and I read a few people had kindles and laptops stolen when they were charging.

Good Luck!! Thanks for reading and rate if it was helpful or funny ;-)

Room Tip: I don't know where to stay if you do go but do NOT stay in 150!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Jordana H
YvetteAGM, General Manager at Howard Johnson St. Augustine/ I-95, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear Jordana - Although a tough one to read, we do Thank You for your comments. I am new to this hotel, but not new to this business. Older hotels take more work than others to maintain, but that has nothing to do with cleanliness or attitudes. I will apologize for the conditions that you experienced, and the attitudes you encountered. One is much easier to correct than the other. The property is to begin a renovation later this summer and we believe that many of the issues will be addressed at that time. In the mean time, we will address cleanliness, maintenance and the personnel issues you mentioned. (By the way, we're glad you liked the breakfast!)
Thank You, again, Jordana. Your comments have not been taken lightly. We appreciate your review. Terry Zwirn, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Alachua, Florida
Reviewed July 6, 2012

The rooms are nasty, some kind of stuff all over the walls...yuck! Seriously, I urinate with more pressure than the shower had, the not very clean shower...yuck! We had the pleasure of being greeted by the prostitute who was making her rounds to the rooms where the farm laborers were staying. That was nice, she was a lot more polite than the actual staff though. Oh and the pool, it looked nice until you got in and saw the slime on the walls...YUCK!!!!! You do not want to stay here, trust me.

Room Tip: Go down the road
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank shar0np301
, Manager at Howard Johnson St. Augustine/ I-95, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Dear sharOnp301 - Thank you for your comments - no matter how terse they were. While I have been at this hotel for a little less than a week, I know there are many challenges that come with an aging building, but issues about cleanliness and unwelcome visitors can, and will, be dealt with. We apologize for the condition of your room, shower pressure and the pool. Comments such as yours give us a place to start to give future guests a better product and environment in which to stay. Thank you, again, for your honest opinion. Terry Zwirn, General Manager

Travelers are raving about these St. Augustine hotels

Hagerstown
Reviewed July 2, 2012

This hotel was the worst we have ever stayed in. It was so dirty that we had black socks and feet from walking on the floor. The bathroom was filthy, there was no water pressure so we couldn't shower. And no way were we sitting in that dirty tub to get a bath! There was a LARGE crack all the way around our door so bugs could easily come and go. And boy did they. Our place had bugs in it everywhere. The smell in the room was very nasty and musty too! It was such a nightmare and I can't stress enough, DO NOT STAY HERE! The price looks like a deal, but really they should have to pay You to stay here. It is that bad.....BEWARE!!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank dink1012
, General Manager at Howard Johnson St. Augustine/ I-95, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Dear dink1012 - Thank you for your comments. They are appreciated. Although I have been here for a little less than a week, I have noted areas that will be addressed immediately to make this a better property to stay in. Cleanliness and maintenance are the building blocks to keeping this property competitive, and that is where we will have to begin. While I must apologize for our poor performance, please know that your comments have not gone on deaf ears. They are always appreciated. Thank you, again, for your honesty. Terry Zwirn, General Manager
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 26, 2012

As we were traveling through the area, my family and I stopped here to rest for the night. I must say this place is absolutuly disgusting!!!! When we got to our room, I notice the room smelled musty. The smoke detector that was supposed to be hung in the room, was ripped off the wall. When I went to get into bed for the night, I noticed the sheets were so worm that you could literally see through them! The pillows were gross and lumpy. The room was so dirty that I was afraid that we would be eaten alive by bed bugs or worse!!! I would never, never stay here again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Emily411
Dear Emily411 - Thank you for your recent comments about the hotel. Although I was not affiliated with the hotel when you stayed, I must apologize for your experience. Issues related to cleanliness, product quality and room maintenance are being dealt with daily in an effort to keep us competitive. While your comments are tough to see, they are valuable to us as we make decisions about how to approach our challenges. Thank you for your candidness.
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Crappy stinky room that was never cleaned sheets and pillow cases were not changed they were dirty with hair all over the bed had to change rooms went from a king to queen. They said sorry this is all we have left but I noticed the place was half empty I was disgusted.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank quebolaqba
Dear quebolaqba - Thank you for your recent review. Although I was not at this hotel when you stayed, I can understand your frustration. I can only apologize for the Housekeeping conditions you encountered and wanted you to know that they are being addressed with a more caring group of employees. We are glad that you were more impressed with the other areas of St. Augustine that you reviewed. Thank You, again, for your comments about our hotel. They will be helpful to us going forward. Terry Zwirn, General Manager
Reviewed June 5, 2012

This was one of the worst hotel experiences I have ever had in the United States, DO NOT stay at this hotel! My husband and I were traveling for our honeymoon and my father booked this hotel for us. We didn't do a lot of research on it, obviously, but the fact that it was a Ramada and the price range seemed decent enough. First of all, when he called to book it, the person who answered the phone cut him off before he even explained the dates required or the situation and told my father to fax him a copy of the front and back of his credit card before they would even continue the conversation. When my father asked of that was a Ramada policy or their policy, the clerk rudely told him he was too busy to talk about it right then and to call back and then HUNG UP on him.
Unfortunately, he did call back and got someone who seemed to know what he was talking about and made us reservations.
The staff when we arrived were friendly enough, despite the fact that the front desk clerk was on the phone with her son pretty much the whole time. Upon getting to our room, not only did we discover the place to be falling apart but there were several sketchy looking people hanging out outside their rooms, playing cards and watching us carry our luggage in. This was a little unsettling.
Basically, our stay was a nightmare. The remote didn't work, half of the channels on the tv didn't work. The shower/bathroom was filthy, the carpet turned our feet BLACK, there was an overwhelming odor when we walked in the room of what we assumed to be bug spray. If it was it didn't work because we were eaten alive during the night. A fight broke out right outside of our room at three o'clock in the morning with the people we assume are living there, obviously there is no security. And to top it all of the next morning, there was NO HOT WATER.
So basically all of the things you pay for when you get a hotel room (clean place to sleep/tv/hot shower) we didn't get.
When we complained in the morning the front desk clerk didn't want to hear any of it, he just cut us off, told us to sign the receipt and walked away.
I have never complained at a hotel in my life, but I have also never been treated so disrespectfully and with so little regard for our well being or our money. Just because we don't have $200 to spend a night doesn't mean we should be treated like garbage, but that's exactly how we were treated.
I called corporate but I have yet to hear back from them, but I want my money back and if I have to call every day to get it, I will.
We cancelled our second night and found an AMAZING little hotel right on the water in St. Augustine for $20 more a night than this rat hole in the ghetto!
DO NOT stay here unless you enjoy getting ripped off, disrespected and covered in bug bites to boot.
Like I said, at least we didn't get robbed at gunpoint or murdered in our beds, we just FELT like we were going to.

• Stayed June 2012
5 Thank bensonparty
Dear bensonparty - Although I was not affiliated with the hotel when you stayed, I will apologize for what must have been a frustrating experience. Your comments about cleanliness and the general condition of the hotel have been noted and are being addressed. We thank you for your comments and will use them to create a better product and environment for our future guests. Terry Zwirn, General Manager
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I have never written a bad hotel review before. This is the type of place where the staff running it doesn't take responsibility for the mistakes they make. They messed up my reservation, gave me the wrong confirmation number, said I didnt have a room, and then after the date had passed, charged me for it! The front desk guy was rude, accused me of lying, and the manager refused to return my calls. I was ripped off by them and my credit card company was useless in helping me resolve the problem. If you ever have a problem at this hotel, good luck getting it resolved...at least by the manager, Scott. Won't happen.

Room Tip: Perhaps go to the Ramada Historic down the street...their staff is professional.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank jcb954
Dear jcb954 - When they happen, billing issues at hotels are always a source of annoyance. Although I wasn't affiliated with the hotel when the issue occurred, I will apologize for it happening. Hopefully is has been resolved. Thank You, for your comments. They are always helpful in determining areas of needed attention. Terry Zwirn, General Manager