“Most Disgusting Night of Our Lives!”

Howard Johnson St. Augustine/ I-95
Ranked #71 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Fairfax, Virginia
“Most Disgusting Night of Our Lives!”
Reviewed August 10, 2011

My fiance and I are VERY disappointed that this hotel has the Ramada name on it. We have stayed in a lot of hotels over the years and this is BY FAR the nastiest one that we've ever seen. For starters, we were tricked into booking a night there with an outdated promotion that was supposed to give us a $50 gift certificate for the nearby outlet mall. We arrived and were told that the Website just hadn't updated to remove the promotion, which had ended long ago. The clerk was nice enough and reduced the bill by $50, which was okay. They didn't have any gift cards available, but we went ahead and stayed anyhow since we were on our way to Disney World. The first room we went in was an embarrassment to the Ramada name. The bed didn't even have clean sheets. Someone just had apparently thrown the comforter over the slept in bed. The bathroom was filthy and coated in soap scum. The toilet in that one seemed to just run perpetually. There were what appeared to be blood and semen stains on the pillowcases! We were horrified. We went to the front desk and said we'd like at least to get clean linens. The clerk handed us two other room keys and told us to go look at them by ourselves and pick one we wanted. The second room we looked in smelled so rancid when we opened the door that we just closed it and walked away. It smelled like days old trash. The third room, which we kept since it was the lesser evil of the three, was not acceptable either. If it weren't so late at night and we hadn't made a reservation ahead of time that could not be canceled we would not have stayed at all. The shower was coated in filth and grime as if it hadn't been cleaned in years. The toilet hadn't been cleaned because there were urine spots all over the seat. The bedsheets looked cleaner than the other two rooms, but the pillowcases had blood stains on them too. Used tissues littered the room from a previous guest. We were so scared of catching diseases that we skipped showering, didn't use the toilet at all, slept fully dressed with hats on our heads, and checked out after a couple of hours of napping. We took photos of the third room because we wanted to be able to prove how horrible the room was for the price. We honestly think we'd have felt safer and cleaner sleeping in a Motel 8. If this is what it is like to stay in a Ramada, we will not be returning any time soon. I only regret that we didn't photograph the first one, which was even grosser! Honestly, we deserve a full refund for the price of this room since we couldn't bathe or even sleep comfortably in that room. If hotels could get zero stars, this one should get 0.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor and RUN away from here.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank MrFoxy888
YvetteAGM, General Manager at Howard Johnson St. Augustine/ I-95, responded to this review, August 23, 2011
We absolutely want to extend our most sincere apologies to you, our valued guest, for the issues you experienced during your stay. We do hope that the discount to compensate for the promotion helped you enjoy your stay, and want to let you know that the website has been updated and the outdated information removed. It was simply an oversight as our new sales director was settling in, and we again hope you will accept our apologies for the inconvenience. The issues you experienced with your rooms are something that we take very seriously and want to assure you that we find this unacceptable. We have reviewed the photographs you provided with our housekeeping staff, and implemented more stringent guidelines during our room checks, to ensure that our guests will have a pleasant experience while staying here. We do hope that you found the front desk staff helpful and courteous while they worked to resolve these issues. While we never like to see this happen, we do try our very best to rectify the situation quickly. Again, we hope you will accept our apologies and do hope that you will give our location another try in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Titusville, Florida
Reviewed August 10, 2011

I must say that I was a little worried after reading some of the reviews for this hotel, but read some really good ones too. We live in Florida and wanted to have a getaway with the kids without the hassles of traveling too far. This hotel is aged and worn, but is far cleaner than some of the reviews state. The hotel is past it's glory days and is not a Hampton or a Courtyard, but the price was right and it's close to the outlet malls, beaches and sights downtown. The kids loved the large deep pool and the breakfast was what we expected (waffles and such). The staff is what makes this property special...to mention a few that stood out: Wendy at breakfast was exceptional at customer service, Ryan was always running, but always took the time to say hello, the manager Scot made sure we knew what sights to see where to eat...even took the time to print us out a mapquest without our asking and wanda in housekeeping was sweet.

Not a bad place for the money, location and staff.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Naples, Florida
Reviewed August 9, 2011

The lobby was the only decent place in the whole hotel. We booked the room as a walk in because of the name of Ramada. We walked out of the lobby and walked to our room. Saw garbage in the hallways, Roaches in the hallway. The room was moldy smelling, there was mold growing in the bathroom. The wall in the bathroom was peeling away. The towels were so worn and gross I felt dirtier after the shower than before. The pool was not clean. There was cigerette burns in the comforter in a non smoking room. The door didnt close correctly.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank jenniferowens7776
Pinellas Park
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We booked a single king smoking room. We have stayed in smoking rooms before. We know they can have a lingering smoky smell, however, I have never smelled anything as dirty as this room. Not only could you smell old smoke the heavy odor of mildew, must, and dust was overwhelming. We thought maybe if we left the air running while we were out it might get better. Ahhhh, NO!!!! I couldn't even sleep the odor was so strong. Thank God I brought my own pillows. I had to stick my head in my pillow to block out the smell. By the morning, everything was damp. I went to take a shower only to find the shower curtain covered in mildew. Even my husband who hates to complain had to admit this place was gross. He took a wash cloth and dragged it across the carpet. The whole wash cloth was black with dirt. I don't think that carpet had been cleaned since the day it was installed. Of course we asked for a different room, non smoking this time. At first, one girl told us she could move us to a single king non smoking, then she called out her boss who told us he didn't have any single kings and that we would have to settle for a single two double bed room. I think he was giving us the business. He said the hotel was sold out. Come on . . . 148+ rooms sold out. We walked around and looked in windows. There were open single kings. Before we moved everything, we checked out a few rooms. Even non smoking rooms reeked of dust and mildew and every room was damp. This whole hotel needs a complete renovation or at least a deep, deep down cleaning. Ironically, while we were checking out rooms, so was another couple. They too were trying to find a decent room. There is nothing, and I mean nothing to recommend about this hotel. It was one of the worst experiences I have ever had. I never even took my shoes off. I can't believe the rack rate is $79.00 a night. At $41.00 this place isn't worth it. We will never, ever stay at or recommend this hotel EVER!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Kathy H
YvetteAGM, General Manager at Howard Johnson St. Augustine/ I-95, responded to this review, August 3, 2011
We would like to extend a sincere apology to you, our valued customer, regarding the issues you experienced during your recent stay at our hotel. It is certainly unfortunate, however we are glad that you took the time to let us know about your experience so that we can take steps to correct these issues. We do hope that our staff was courteous and efficient while trying to make things right. We would like you to know that we are in the process of steam cleaning our carpets again. We are also currently implementing a more efficient process for the housekeeping department that should help to eliminate issues such as this. It's unfortunate that we were unable to find another room for you with matching accomodations, and we do apologize for that. It is possible that we simply had standing reservations for the other rooms of that type, but we always will do our best to find a solution that is agreeable for our guests. We want to assure you that your business is very important to us and we will always provide our guests any accomodation or amenity possible at that time. We are here to make sure our guests are pleased and would never knowingly overlook a solution to a problem. That said, you again have our most sincere apologies. We will always try our best to provide you with a pleasant stay at an affordable price and do sincerely hope you will reconsider and give us another try in the future.
Rose Hill, Virginia
Reviewed July 20, 2011

It was as expected that if you go cheap, I expected that it wouldn't be a great hotel. However. The showers were dirty as I found long black hairs in the tub. The worst was when the comforter was pulled back and a bloody band aid was revealed. Housekeeping needs fired! The front desk people were nice but housekeeping sucks. I won't be staying there again, my lesson is learned.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank conductor76
YvetteAGM, General Manager at Howard Johnson St. Augustine/ I-95, responded to this review, July 25, 2011
We would like to extend our sincerest apologies for the issues you encountered during your stay at our hotel. We want you to know that we view these types of incidents as unacceptable and will be taking actions to ensure that this does not happen again. We do hope that our front desk staff was able to assist you with some or all of your issues. We have someone on duty 24 hours a day to be sure that if a problem arrises, there will be someone there to provide a solution and is just a phone call away. It may be of little consolation for you that we have undergone some recent staffing changes and hope that this will result in a better experience for our guests. We again would like to extend our apologies and would like to welcome you to try us again in the future.
Blackshear, Georgia
Reviewed July 16, 2011

Booked a 3 night stay and ended up staying a extra night. The hotel was great and the Staff were very exremely nice and very helpful. The pool was wonderful and the hotel is in a Great location. We were extremely happy and look forward to staying there again. We will be back!!! Thanks to everyone that we met while we vacationed there!

Room Tip: The room was very clean and perfect for our 4 night stay
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
We always find it rewarding when our guests enjoy their stay at the Ramada Limited so much that they don't want to leave! We are glad that you had a great time and thank you for your review of our property. We are also happy to hear that you found our location convenient. Being just a 7 mile drive to the historic district downtown certainly helps, but it's also nice to be conveniently located near I95 the next morning when it is time to head home! Wether you want to visit the St. Augustine Beaches, the Intercoastal Waterway, Historic St. Augustine, or just want to enjoy some shopping at the two Outlet Malls, it is hard to go wrong at the Ramada Limited. We are also a nice out of the way option for anyone traveling to an event in Daytona, or Jacksonville. During your next stay be sure to take advantage of our FREE Continental Breakfast, complimentary wi-fi, outdoor swimming pool, and last but not least, the smiling faces of our attentive staff that will be happy to see you again. Thanks again.
St. Augustine Florida
Reviewed July 2, 2011

No toliet paper, door didnt lock without closing without messing with it,, no towels second day, asked for roll out bed, remote control didnt work fo 2 days and people living her full time next to me hanging outside smoking in a non smoking room.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank wisher76
Valued Customer,
We would like to extend our apologies to you for the problems you experienced during your last stay. We do sincerely hope that the front desk staff was able to assist you with some of the issues. While it is unfortunate when things are overlooked, we will be happy to go out of our way to make things right for you! With a courteous staff on hand 24 hours a day, we want to be certain that things like this do not happen again. And while we do offer both smoking and non-smoking rooms at our hotel, we apologize for any inconvenience you encountered. We do sincerely hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future, so we can show you just how committed we are to serving our customers. Again, thank you for your honest and candid review of the hotel and all the best in your future travels.