“It is what it is.....”

Howard Johnson St. Augustine/ I-95
Ranked #71 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed June 8, 2011

I got a good (cheap) deal through Travelocity and their "Secret Hotel" deals where they dont tell you what hotel you're staying at until you pay so I wasnt expecting much, especially for the price. Hubby and I decided to spend a night in St Augustine on our way up North. Its not too close to the center Historic side of town, but its not too far off, close to I-95 and outlet stores :).

The staff seemed friendly. The ambiance isnt that pleasant looking, but it is what it is. When we got to the room, the door didnt look like it closed all the way even though it was closed. the room was clean, the bathroom was clean (but tiny). The room didnt smell bad (which I was glad for). The Shower was small and the floor was a little dingy and chipped but the shower head was good and strong. ( we had packed flipflops for the shower either way since we didnt know what to expect). They offer free internet, which is always appreciated, but it was a little slow. The room had a tv, microwave (which we didn't use, so I cant review it), and a small fridge which fit our soda cans and chilled them rather quickly.

Dont be discouraged from other reviews, for the price you're paying, what more can you expect for a price so low? Its a room to sleep in, the rooms are clean and the beds are comfy.

If you're staying in St Augustine for a night and doing some shopping or visiting the Historic district (you have to drive about 10-15 minutes) its an alright place to stay. They offer continental breakfast in the morning in the lobby so get there early.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Panda122
YvetteAGM, General Manager at Howard Johnson St. Augustine/ I-95, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2011

We would like to thank you for your review of our Ramada Limited Hotel in St. Augustine Florida. We always like to hear how our guests enjoyed their stay, as well as find out if there are areas that we can improve, and we do appreciate you taking the time to voice your thoughts.
We are glad that you found our location convenient, being 10 minutes or so to the historic district gives you the access without all the crowds to deal with. We are also glad that you had pleasant interaction with our Customer Service Staff at the hotel. We pride ourselves in the fact that you will always find a smiling face on the other side of the counter.
We would like to take this time to apologize to you for the issues you experienced during your stay. We have alerted our Maintenance Staff to keep an eye out for any doors that may need repair. We apologize for the issue you experienced with the bathroom floor, and would welcome you to bring issues such as this to our attention during your next stay so that we may have an opportunity to rectify the situation. Our customers are our main focus and we want to be sure we do everything we can to provide you with a pleasant stay.
We are happy to hear that you were pleased with several other aspects of your stay, including the strong shower, micro/fridge combo provided at no cost if available, and our friendly and courteous staff. It's nice to know that you found the room to be clean, the bed to be comfy, and the room to be, "smell free". During your next visit, we do hope that you will take advantage of our free wireless tech support if you are still experiencing any issues there. You may also be interested in a free shuttle service that is provided in coordination with a local Trolley Tour company. And as always, we hope you will enjoy our complimentary Continental Breakfast, and free newspaper.
We look forward to seeing you during your next visit, and once again appreciate your honesty.

Reviewed May 24, 2011

Due to work I've stayed here several nights in the past two months, and my experiences have been all over the place. The only consistency is the friendliness of the staff.

When it's good, I'd give it a solid four stars. Only thing keeping it from a five is the obvious signs of age/wear.

When it's bad, it can be miserable. One visit both the Internet and hot water were on the fritz. Another time the mildew/mold was so bad I could barely see though the migraine and clouded contacts (I'm sure they would have moved us if I would have asked, but it was late and my kiddo had passed out cold for the night.). I've also run across a few housekeeping issues (mainly unclean linens and countertops).

All in all it's a bit of a gamble, but you've got a 75% chance of a good stay. Even if you land in the 25% population, the front desk will usually work with you to ratify the situation. Allergy sufferers, cover your bases and bring some antihistamines just in case. :)

• Stayed: April 2011
YvetteAGM, General Manager at Howard Johnson St. Augustine/ I-95, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2011

We would like to thank you for your candid review of our property and would like to assure you that we taking steps to ensure we can provide our guests with a great stay 100% of the time! We thank you for your understanding and continued patronidge as we get our new Housekeeping Manager settled into his role. We hope that this change will help to deliver a more pleasant experience for all of our guests. We also want to let you know that our internet vendor has been notified of some issues during the last few weeks and we have so far seen stellar performance, as well as having some repairs done water heater on the property.
Again, we appreciate your honesty and understanding in your review and hope you will come back to see us as we work our way closer and closer to the perfection that we want to provide our guests! And as always, please do notify our staff of any issues you are experiencing during your stay. It will always be our pleasure to do anything possible to make sure that you can relax and enjoy your visit! We feel that Customer Service, and Customer Satisfaction are very much connected and are always happy to accomodate our guests requests.
Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you next time.

Reviewed May 22, 2011

I live a few hours away and come to town to visit old friends and family every few months. I decided to go this time without a reservation and decided on exit 318 because the large variety of hotels at that exit. After entering into several of the options at the exit and hearing their prices of over 90.00 each. They all had the same to say we have a pool and a free breakfast. Ramada Limited was the only hotel I walked into and had a smile awaiting me on the other side of the desk. The staff was very helpful and offered me thier best rate and again the pool and breakfast was included. My room was clean, the breakfast was fullfilling and I didn't feel BROKE just from my hotel stay when I left. I will continue to stay here on all of my return home visists to see friends and family. When the staff stated it was "Their Pleasure" when I thanked them for everything I truely felt they were being honest and not just a repeated line they were fed.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family

We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyoed your stay at Ramada Limited St. Augustine and do sincerely hope to see you again on your next visit. It truly is "our pleasure" to serve our guests here and we do always try to deliver that promise with a smile. With so many options in today's market, we know that how far your dollar goes is just as important as where it goes. At the Ramada Limited, we are very pleased to offer our guests a wonderful experience at a competitive rate. We also enjoy throwing in free Wi-fi, complimentary Continental Breakfast with those tasty hot waffles, swimming pool and convenient access to the local sites, and toping it all off with that all important smile.

Reviewed May 20, 2011

The people who work there are great and very helpful. Ryan the Guy who worked the front desk during my stay helped me get to the places I came down there to see. Rooms are great very comfortable and the hotel is in a remote location close to everything.

• Stayed: May 2011
YvetteAGM, General Manager at Howard Johnson St. Augustine/ I-95, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2011

We thank you for your glowing review of our staff during your stay at the Ramada Limited St. Augustine. We pride ourselves in our "Customer Comes First" attitude, and you'll always find a courteous staff, very knowlegable of the local area. Please do come back and see us again on your next trip to HIstoric St. Augustine, the beaches, the World Golf VIllage, or just to do a little shopping at the Outlet Malls.

Reviewed May 16, 2011

I am in St. Augustine several times a month on business. My stay at the Ramada was both pleasant and a great value. The rooms were clean and the staff is very professional. The location is very convienient and close to I-95 for easy access. The hot breakfast was very good and was kept well stocked with a nice selection. I would recommend this place to anyone staying in the St. Augustine area.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank tylex9803

We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at Ramada Limited St. Augustine! We're glad you found our location convenient, with quick access to the Interstate, the St. Augustine Outlet Malls, downtown St. Augustine and the Beaches, you really can find a bargain when you stay with us. We are also pleased to announce that we have some new items on our complimentary continental breakfast to go along with those tasty make-your-own waffles, so be sure and come see us again soon!

Reviewed May 3, 2011

Where do I start? We stayed 4 days. Housekeeping only cleaned our room once, and a poor job at that. The wireless internet was worse that dial-up. Slllllooooooooowwwww. And we kept getting dropped.

Vending room was filthy for the whole time we stayed.

TV has a very poor selection of channels and the sound would go off and on.

Worst of all and I didn't notice it until we were ready to leave, 3 of the electrical outlets were loose in the wall and one was secured at all.

The guy at the desk was good and apologized up and down. He got us linens and toiletries and tried to make up for everyone else.

STAY SOMEWHERE else!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank rsr1953
YvetteAGM, General Manager at Howard Johnson St. Augustine/ I-95, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2011

We at the Ramada Limited want to extend our deepest apologies for any inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. We want you to know that this is not indicative of the experience that we are striving to provide our guests. We also want to assure you that proactive steps are being taken to ensure that the issues you experienced with housekeeping are corrected, including new management. We have notified our Maintenance staff of the issue with the electrical outlets, as well as alerted our wireless vendor of the issue.
We would also like to thank you for taking the time to make us aware of some of these maintenance issues. We always try to be accommodating when our guests experience an issue with any of our amenities. While our complimentary wireless internet service is designed to function with a very wide range of computers, we do have technical support available 24 hours a day to help resolve connection issues. Also, our Vending area has just recently been updated, and the refit may have been the cause of some mess, but we do apologize for the inconvenience during your stay. We strive to offer our customers a pleasant stay at a great value, and are always saddened when we fail to meet expectations. We truly do hope that you will visit us again in St. Augustine so that we can wow you with our newly re-fitted Vending room with key card access, and a strengthened commitment to providing our guests with a clean and well stocked room, serviced daily.

Reviewed May 1, 2011

The shower ran hat and cold, hot and cold. When I stepped out of the shower and walked across the carpeted bedroom floor, the bottoms of my feet were black from the filthy carpet. When I reported this to the desk clerk, he simply laughed and said the manager won't bein until Monday. DO NOT stay here. Its the worst place I ever stayed.

Room Tip: Stay any place else!!!!!!!!!!!!!