“Very Professional Staff”

St Augustine Hotel & Suites
Ranked #58 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed October 15, 2013

On a recent stay at this hotel we had a great experience because the Manager and others working at the Front Desk were very helpful. Ashley,Jenie, Leon and Elizabeth all came through for us. It really made our trip all the better knowing anything we needed would be addressed in a professional way. The price was good for the large room with a view. We will be sure to stay here again on our next trip to St Augustine.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed September 29, 2013

I have had several positive experiences staying at Comfort Suites properties and have been satisfied with my room. This was not one of the positive experiences. First there was no hot water. I called the front desk and was told to let the water run for 10 or 15 minutes for it to get hot! Really?! This is apparently standard operating procedure here. Well we did that and still no hot water. A maintenance man was sent and when he wasn't able to get us our hot water we were moved to another room. In this room the air conditioner didn't work properly. The room was cool but dank and humid and it smelled musty. 3rd room was fine but none of the rooms were in great condition. Carpets and furniture were worn and and the rooms needed to be repainted. This was part of a group golf package, so I'm not sure what the price breakdown would be. The staff was helpful and as accommodating as possible, but overall I can not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 22, 2013

My wife and I came into town for the Mumford and Sons concert. It was the first time that we had a trip with just the two of us since our honeymoon three years prior. The room was booked for us by my parents as a gift. The day before we left I came on tripadvisor to see what everyone said about the hotel. Take seriously all the negative reviews because they are all real. It was too late to cancel so I decided to stay positive and believe that the pictures where what the hotel really looked like. It wasn't. At all. It looks like a St. Augustine haunted mansion. Everything outside is falling apart. Literally falling apart or just strait missing.The "professional" photos of the hotel have got to be really old because like I said before, this hotel looks nothing like it. The grounds were not taken care of at all. The weeds were really high and nothing was trimmed. Then when you enter the hotel, there is a dank old wet moldy smell. Like stated in other reviews, you do get used to this smell although it does still hit you every time you enter the hotel. The bedroom was absolutely horrible. I do not even know where to start. The carpet looked like it was as old as St. Augustine and looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years and years. We did not walk barefoot in our room for the duration on the trip. There were stains all over the floor from who knows what. The room smelled as dank as the hotel did. The sheets were wrinkled and the threading was coming apart. I slept fully clothed for two days. Neither my wife or I really believed that the sheets were cleaned and did not want to risk it. The walls are covered in scratches, dings, stains, and dirt. The bathroom door was all scratched up as well. Not the bathroom was amazing but not in a good was. I was floored. The grout around the toilet was a total different color from the grout in the rest of the bathroom from all the pee stains. The toilet itself had not been cleaned from the previous visit and had pee stains and pubic hairs. The shower curtain was all ripped to pieces at the top and bottom. The tub had a generic foot mat that had moldy mildew underneath due to a lack of good cleaning. The faucet was very tarnished and old as was the shower head. The televisions we very old tube televisions and the cable was scratchy and not great. The final thing was that our ceiling looked like it was falling in. Tried to get e picture but did not come out well. The only good thing about the hotel was that the rooms were really cold when we got in and stayed that way, which was probably to keep some form of mold from growing. The breakfast was not good at all either. We ate a waffle the first morning and a waffle the next. I had a bowl of cereal. I did not trust anything else. The gravy for the biscuits and gravy was chunky and had a bizarre taste. We avoided the rest. The hotel staff was ok. Not well kept or inviting but not pushy or rude. The location is in the middle of nowhere which I thought was going to be okay since the pictures looked nice. The 25 minute drive to downtown is not worth it to stay here. The stay as a whole was not even the one stay that I had to give it. I would never stay again and advise everyone to stay away.

Room Tip: The only tip is to not stay here
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bknoen
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We just got back from a 10 day stay here...our second year in a row. There are NO bed bugs here. What we heard is that Terminix comes on a monthly basis to spray the grounds. Genie at the front desk is wonderful as are all the staff that we came in contact with. Don't let the rumor of bed bugs prevent you from trying this hotel. For the price I think its really nice.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We were glad to find a room driving late at night. Price of 109 was reasonable. Room was smelly, shower curtain was torn, air condition was not working properly, lack of bed sheets and comforters in the room.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank spicefoods
Edrakeford, General Manager at St Augustine Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Hi Spicefoods,

I received your review on Trip Advisor and was hoping I could get a little more information from you to follow up on the problems you experienced. If you could please email me the date of stay and the room you were in so I can follow up with my Housekeeping department and find out how we ended up with a torn shower curtain in your room that would be great. You also commented on lack of bed sheets and comforters in the room and I wasn't sure what you meant by that. My email is E.drakeford@worldofgolfresort.com or you can call me at 904-940-9500. Thanks so much and thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

We spent three nights here, and it was lovely. The staff that we encountered was friendly, helpful, and accommodating. The breakfast was just perfect! We didn't use the pools or any of the other perks, but the grounds were nice. It's very quiet considering we were were set away from the downtown area... But the drive wasn't bad at all. The room was clean and comfortable. The only issue was that the room was stuffy be aide the air wasn't on. Once it was on, it was better. We were on the third floor, so no bed bugs. Overall, our stay was wonderful, and we will keep this place in mind the next time we come to the area.

Btw... There is an awesome Irish pub not far from the hotel that is awesome. I believe it's called Donavins... Or something like that.

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for staying with us. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

My friend thought I was crazy when I told him that I overheard people saying there were bed bugs on the 5th floor. I came on to write this review and I saw someone else had heard or seen the bed bugs. Thank Goodness. The only argument I had with my friend was I saw terminix truck there. I was only a guest of my friend and he was paying so I didn't say anything more. My review on the hotel is marginal at best. The rooms smelled like mold, the outside decks had mold, parking lot had trash. I say the only thing redeemable was the bar and the free breakfast. What is with the no Wi-Fi this day in age?

I would think twice about staying here. Bed Bugs will never go away no matter what you do. Good thing we were on the 3rd floor!!!

Room Tip: Ask for lakeview room
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank LadyG H

This is always a scarry topic. We did have a report of Bugs on the 5th floor. Terminix who provides us monthly service came out and inspected the 5th floor where we had a report. We did a preventative treatment of the room in question as well as the two adjacent rooms. Terminix has given us a report of NO ACTIVITY present. We are free and clear of bugs.