“Horrible location, overpriced rooms”

St Augustine Hotel & Suites
Ranked #61 of 79 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed here over Memorial Day weekend for my son's baseball tournament being held at Rivertown Park. I had read reviews on Trip Advisor and was reluctant to stay here as a result. But the rest of the team was staying here, so I succumbed. The reviews don't lie. The lobby has a dank smell to it, as do the rooms. Fortunately, you kind of get used to it. The worst thing is the location. It's a 25 min drive to the ball park and 25 min to the historic district. The only other thing on that exit is a tiny Subway and the Golf Hall of Fame. It's literally in the middle of nowhere. The breakfast offered a decent selection but was crowded every morning. It felt like we were cattle trying to find a place at the trough. The room (which had 2 double beds) cost us $119/night, and that was a "special rate" for our team. I feel that is highway robbery given the location, etc. in addition, there is only wi-fi on the first floor. And there is shoddy phone/data service there and in that entire area, making an Internet connection more necessary. We will absolutely NOT stay here again.

Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank sqdurham

Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

What hotel doesn't have wi-fi? Really? They do have wi-fi "conviently located on the first floor". And they have "an ethernet cable in the room that you can plug right in". That really doesn't work for me, my husband, and two teenage boys to get on iPads and iPhones! My data plan is blown for this weekend! In addition to that, my room is really damp and moldy smelling. Great for the allergies!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank 15-24-Mom
Reviewed May 21, 2013

This was my third time staying at this property. Sadly it will be my last. There are simply too many other choices around the area to settle for a property that has the issues we experienced. As usual I will present the pros, the cons, and a summary.

Pros:
The location is wonderful. Nice and close to I-95, close to the World Golf Hall of Fame, and close to fuel and food. The pool area is incredible as is the landscaping. The breakfast is ok. The rooms are fairly quiet.

Cons:
When we arrived we entered our first room and it smelled. It was a mix of a musty odor and what smelled like cigarette smoke. It was nasty enough that we called down and asked for another room. Shannon, the front desk clerk, gladly obliged and we tried to leave the first room when we encountered a really odd problem. The bolt lock would stay in the locked position; this despite turning the knob from the inside to open it. In order to close the door we had to use the card key - something I have never encountered at any other hotel I have ever stayed at. Literally hundreds over the years.
So we get downstairs and Shannon gives us the new key. I thank her and then decide to mention that the odor wasn't the only issue; we had also had a problem with the lock. At this point she opted to provide me with hotel door exiting class 101. This even though I attempted to explain to her that when you turned the knob from the inside the bolt would shut back into the locked position and you could not close the door without using the card key. The proof that Shannon was full of herself as well as something else that should not be mentioned in a public forum was the fact that our second room's door worked just fine. Shannon could use two classes herself; first a refresher course in customer relations. And secondly it would not hurt for her to become more familiar with the locks in her hotel. She was young and immature and one could only hope that with time will come wisdom.
So we arrive in our room and are greeted by a slightly less prevailing nasty smell. We decided that we would just have to deal with this one. The TV in this room was a nice large circa 1990 TV that lost a great deal of the picture meant for a high def capable unit. (our first room had a large flat screen - not sure why room 412 was so out of date) The bed was ok but the pillows were worn and horribly flat. The AC unit was LOUD. Each time it came on it let you know it was working hard to cool the room and rid it of that nasty smell. The toilet would not flush unless you held the flusher - and even then it took two flushes to completely cleanse the toilet of the waste.

Summary:
There are too many other places to stay and next time I am in the area I will try the nearby Renaissance or Hyatt. Why should I settle for a musty odor, a discordial staff, a loud AC, outdated entertainment, and mediocre plumbing? Sad to see this place go this direction; I myself gave it a good review in the past. But after this experience I cannot recommend this property nor can I imagine staying there again. There are simply too many other options.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel nearby. Best advice I could possibly offer. This suggestion courtesy of Shannon...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JWils0n
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I was there 2 nights for a car show held over a very stormy weekend. The hotel is in a nicely landscaped setting just off I-95, just outside the World Golf Village. It is an excellent location for golfers and for those traveling through, but at ~15 miles is rather remote from historical St. Augustine. The staff and management of the hotel is friendly and excellent, and bent over backwards to help us have a successful show in spite of the adverse weather. My king room was spacious with excellent flat screen TV, digital climate control, and good bed ... but the cabinetry and carpet are noticeably worn and could use some sprucing up. The bar served good, generous drinks and the full hot buffet breakfast was excellent for a hotel of this class. I would be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank SurfOrlando
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We have stayed here on three different occasions. This was not as good as the first two. Our tub leaked onto floor from rust. Room Key did not work well. Staff was nice. Wifi only available in lobby. Breakfast was ok

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We are staying right now and we are here sitting wondering why a beautifully landsacaped hotel, with waterfalls, killer views of the pool, beautiful building...and roomy rooms is not a place we want to come back. We don't underatand why the doors of the rooms have a gap and they are scratched and dirty. The nice jetted tub is moldy and rusted. The kitchenette looks cheap and dirty. And we could have looked over all that but the worst is THERE IS NO WIFI in the rooms! What hotel does not have wifi these days? I don't understand why such a beautiful place is not better taken care of. We are not coming back.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank sharaegirl
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The hotel looks nice in the lobby an exterior but the room was a let down. The hotel served its purpose. We were visiting St. Augustine and stayed here overnight. The room that we were in smelled of mold. It had a very strong odor and the linens were dingy. Just thankful I was only there overnight.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family