“A GOOD HOTEL”

Ranked #60 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Sydney
“A GOOD HOTEL”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2010

We had stayed at the Quality Inn Cocoa Beach so we were biased. Though the room was no way as big as in Cocoa Beach it was still roomy and clean. We had our Room Saver coupon so the price was good. We stayed 2 nights in a back room, and no the trains didn't worry us. The staff told us of the possible train noise before we chose the room. The breakfast was the usual we experienced in other Hotels. Not like an Aussie breakfast!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Miami Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2010

This hotel was in the listing for the best hotel in st augustine. This was my 5yrs anniversity present, what i dirty place . First the room was with one bed non smoker, they gave us two bed and smoker room. Complained in the reception are and they told me that they didn't have one bed avalible. We took non smoker with two bed for are honeymoon.,GREAT
Second, when we enter the room we notice that the refrigetator had mold in the door wedge, not too clean.
Third, the Bathroom shower curtin had also MOLD , it only cost $5.00 dollars to replace a showercurtin, that was just discussting.
Fourth, the BLaket was all burn by cigarette thank god I took my own covers, I went to the store and bought LYSOL.
Fifth the wall in the hallway dirty .
SIxth, Towels with black stain and some with holes.

Please Don't stay at this hotel, I'll not recommend it to any one.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
e. brunswick, NJ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2010

Keep driving past this place!!! it looks new from the outside, and the lobby is refurbished, but the room was so dated and scuzzy. We rented the room for one night, and upon entering the room there was this distinct odor of either some strong disinfectant or cat urine- not sure which one. The shower had mold in the grout- i mean spray some TILEX or something! the tub had soap scum all around it and the toilet didn't flush. The towels were literally gray, no longer white. Thinking it was just for the night, we went out on a ghost tour of st. augustine, returning well after midnight. Trying to sleep in that odor was impossible. The smelll came up out of the sheets, pillows, mattress, carpeting! It was in our mouths and I was gagging upon waking around 4am, and stayed awake the rest of the night. I could not wait to leave this place, and made sure paula at the front desk knew of our situation. I was practically in tears telling her and one of the housekeeping people of the conditions. The only sympathy we got was from the housekeeper, who said she was not in for the last three days, and someone else must have sprayed something. At this point, Paula told me that she was sorry, and presented me with my bill in its entirety!!! I had to ask her to take something off the bill, which she gave us a 20 dollar credit, gee thanks! Amazing customer service skills! If you're desperate for a place to stay, I would rather sleep in my car. We stayed at the comfort inn & suites the next night, and for a few dollars more, it was new, clean and bright...a much better bargain, considering how much does a lost night of sleep cost?

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2010

I had the misfortune of staying one night in this hotel....a complete waste of money! I requested and confirmed a nonsmoking room, was given a smoke-smelly room. Was locked out of my own room since the battery-operated door lock failed and had to wait for a man to arrive with a "fishhook" to open the door.
The room is VERY worn, does not feel clean, and does not feel secure..
I left the next day and stayed at the Marriot for only $20 more!
It was a true waste of my money!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Eleni1911
southern ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2010

I know everyone sees things different but as far as I am concerned this motel is a good place to stay. We have stayed here three times and have reservations for a stay in December. Everyone was great and the view was very good. The swamp everyone talks about is the San Sebastian River and I go out back and watch the wildlife on the river every evening and it is very beautiful. The trains never bothered us and we were in the back right near the tracks. This motel is just a fine place to stay.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Tampa, FL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2010

Benefits:
- Excellent location
- Acceptable complimentary breakfast
Con's:
- Very loud trains going by the hotel all night, every night.
- Shower temperature is not consistent, one sec it's freezing cold, next it's scorching hot.
- Dirty
- We overhead some thug like guys asking the cleaning maids if they can "check out a persons room today" When reported to front staff only reply was, "oh that's the cleaning ladies friends".
- Very small king bed room

Be prepared to bring a gun incase someone tries to break-in to your room. Very shady place.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shauny2k3
Melbourne, FL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2010

I'll start with the positives. I was pleasantly surprised at check-in. The girl at the front desk was VERY sweet and gave lots of information about the dining in the area and all our tourist options. The reception area was very inviting. The one big plus for this hotel is the free continental breakfast. The dining area is much larger than any I had ever been to before and they had lots of options. Hot food such as eggs, sausage, and self-serve waffles were offered along with the usual bagels, fruit, yogurt, etc.

It's location is pretty convenient to the downtown historic areas, but we chose to drive to the trolley pick-up area about 3/4 mile away. They do offer a free shuttle pick-up service right from the hotel though.

Now on to the minuses! First off, the rooms had not been updated in quite a while. The carpet had to be from the 70's and the decor was just as dated. While it seemed clean, I couldn't help but feel like it was germy. The TV did not offer a lot of stations. Some of the popular stations were unavailable for some reason. My biggest complaint was the noise! The train that runs less than a hundred yards from the rooms was really cool during the daytime. My kids thought it was neat to see the train and waved to the conducter each time. BUT, the first night we were there, there were 7 trains throughout the night (from 10pm until 6am). 7. Let's just say that even though my kids slept through it, my husband and I could not. The second night there were not as many trains but still a couple. Also, this hotel is pet-friendly so we had a howling dog in a room below us with no owners present to remedy the situation. That went on for at least an hour.

If you are going to stay at this location definitely ask for a room on the front side of the hotel. The view is NOT worth the noise of the train!!!! Our next trip to St. Augustine will not be in this hotel. Spend the extra money and stay downtown.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family