“Didn't get what we paid for”

The Ponce St Augustine Hotel
Ranked #57 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed May 4, 2014

I got the AAA discount and paid $110.45. I haven't figure out how that was a discount because they advertised 89.99. I called and asked about rooms and they said they had plenty. Since I was en route, maybe 2 hours away and I wasn't completely sure of their location, I waited until I got there to actually get the room. We checked in around 4 and I was told they only had double bed rooms upstairs, facing the noisy traffic, on the opposite side of the hotel away from the pool. So basically, the only was the room could have been worse is if were next to the ice machine. There was a big stain on the carpet and it was very worn. The toilet seat looked like it was 20 years old and had been painted over and over. The only reason I didn't complain is that a nice couple that worked the breakfast area softened my demeanor. I'm use to making my own waffles but the nice lady was making them and serving them to us. And her partner (husband?) was helping keep up the stock, cleaning the tables. Both of them were so sweet. So, we saved $20 or so we may have had to spend at Denny's. The traffic there was horrible. Don't try to walk anywhere in this part of town. We only had to drive a few minutes to go to see the Fountain of Youth and downtown is just a few minutes away as well.

Room Tip: Make reservations and ask for a room where you want it. I would have asked for a room away from the...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Marielena S, Guest Relations Manager at The Ponce St Augustine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2014

Dear Guest,

I am sorry for failing to meet your expectations on your recent visit. I am not sure of the rate on your travel day but rates to change daily they do start at 89.99 and go higher at times on the weekends. I can tell you we are remodeling all of our bathrooms and hope you would come to see them as they are beautiful. I am glad you enjoyed our Free Hot Breakfast we do love to make each guest feel like family so we do try to impress the customer service attitude with a smile to each guest. Please feel free to email me direct on your next visit and I will be happy to make sure you have a great stay my email is marielena@qualityinnhistoric.com

Marielena Scibelli

There are newer reviews for The Ponce St Augustine Hotel

Reviewed April 30, 2014

Made reservation at this hotel on relatively short botice because it's advertised as being in the Saint Augustine Historic District. At best it's on the outskirts, not walking distance, about a 10-minute drive. That's the least of my complaints.

We had a queen suite with a jacuzzi.

The hotel is in desperate need of updating/renovation. The furnishings were very old, shabby and mismatched. The room smelled musty. The hotel has no elevator (only 2 levels, but still...)

Only 5 of the 10 lightbulbs about the double sinks were lit. Since we didn't want to be disturbed by maintenance, my husband went to the front desk to request replacement bulbs and was given 2. Seriously!! Hotel management actually rations light bulbs!

The door to our room was sticking horribly and required a great deal of force to open and close.

The bi-fold closet doors couldn't be closed because they were off-track.

The shower control was not working properly; my husband fixed it himself.

The hotel is seriously overpriced for its location; since we weren't familiar with the area, we made a reservation that was not in the part of town we wanted to be in. False advertising (historic district) as far as I'm concerned. Stay here at your own risk!

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel at all costs! If you can't avoid it, don't get a room near the pool unless...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GSimmons03
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Pretty much more than expected. Inexpensive motel, especially for its location, right in the historic St. Augustine area. Clean, friendly, great breakfast - the new standard of eggs, waffles, fruit, oatmeal, yogurt, juices, breads, . . . . and they were not pushing you out by cleaning up right at the end time of the breakfast like many motels do. Certainly not a 4-star, but a respectable 3-star. No crazy frills, but, then again, you're not here for the frills. Definitely worth the price. Workers were very friendly. Accommodated me with an early check-in, and a later check out. Nothing not to like. Fridge, microwave, heat lamp in room.

Room Tip: Based on previous reviews, I requested a room on the front side as there are train tracks along the...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 28, 2014

My family stayed at this hotel literally a 3 minute walk to the Historic District strip and extremely conveniently located...We usually stay at 4* or better but could not find accommodations as such. The rooms and carpets were ultra clean and fresh. The beds surprisingly comfortable and lush, bathrooms clean and contrary to the negative reviews, the trains were not an issue. There was 1 or 2 but it paled in comparison to the stunning sunsets. The water in the sinks and showers were a comfortable stream as well as quite hot. The pool and surrounding around was immaculate and there were ample people enjoying their visit. There were lovely roses and oranges in the main entrance, the staff was friendly and accommodating. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank HappyGuest042014
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

Its not in the historic district at all. Outside looks like its falling in. The staff lies about the location. Don't waste your money send a little more and stay somewhere nicer. Thankfully I was able to cancel. 125 a night what a rip off.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank curleyc862
Reviewed April 27, 2014

On the outskirts of 'historical city' but only a 15 min walk. Rooms are ok and clean. We were at riverside and there are freight trains every four hours. If you are a light sleeper, take a room on the other side.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Hotel's name carries "Historic District" in it - must be another historic district, because they're NOT in St Augustine's. Sort of a hotel in Brooklyn claiming they're in Manhattan. Receptionist seemed trained to convince guests otherwise In-room Safety deposit box broke twice. Friendly maintenance guy fixed it but nevertheless, delayed myself and my kids for dinner. Hot tub by pool was turned off and cold, and took a while to get hot (you wonder a dead cold whirlpool at 5:30 pm?). When it got going, the jets were pitiful. A pretty little girl worked with her mom in the laundry area. - is this even allowed? Breakfast was professional. There are other places to stay.

• Stayed: April 2014