“Needs a Good Housekeeper”

Magnuson Hotel Historic St. Augustine
Ranked #59 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Little River
“Needs a Good Housekeeper”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Was very suprised that this Quality Inn in Historic St. Augustine was very dirty. Had to stand on a towel in the shower because I didn't want my feet touching the tub. NASTY. Was put on the backside of the hotel where the train was going by - nice suprise. I think that they should have warned about this. Front Desk staff needs to learn how to communicate with guests at check-in. Not welcoming at all.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank SC037

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

When we booked this room at 1 800 Choice Hotels we thought we were booking for the property on State Road 16. When we went to check in we discovered that we were booked at the Quality Inn historic district. We just drove the 5 miles over without checking the reviews. It was after midnight and the outside of the hotel did not look too bad. The check in was made to a teller box standing on the outside of the hotel. All rooms were entered from the outside and the entrance way were in need of cleaning and repairs. The room was outdated and dirty. I always check our bed before we sleep in it and that is when we discovered we were unable to stay there. The mattress and mattress pad both had blood on them. The pillows were stained with who knows what and the sheets were dirty. Too much for us to handle so we went down told the manager the room was unacceptable and we would like a refund. He gave it to us with no questions asked which tells me he knew what the problem was. If you are thinking about staying here please turn around go back to State Road 16 and have a nice clean bed to sleep in. The funny thing is the hotel on State Road is less expensive than the historic one. I took pictures I will see if I can post them.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Karen M

Travelers are raving about these St. Augustine hotels

Ontario Canada
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I am writing this review part way into our stay here because I want to give some balance to the reviews on the site. I booked this hotel before reading the reviews because I had stayed here 4 years ago and liked it. When I read the reviews, I almost cancelled but I did not, and I am glad I did not. The hotel is a 2 star level and as such has been very good. If you want a 3 to 5 star hotel, pay more and find one-there are many here in St. Augustine. We checked in at 2:30 pm and were given a nice room on the 2nd floor. The bedding is all white and very clean, and the room was also bright and clean. We slept well as the bed was very comfortable too. The furniture has a few nicks here and there but still is attractive. We used the pool and hot tub and they were also clean. The morning breakfast was much better than most free continental breakfasts. The exterior of the hotel is in need of cleaning and paint to bring it up to standard. The location is fairly close to the old historic area and we walked there and back easily. The only problem was the very busy Ponce de Leon Blvd which we had to cross without any lights to help. There is a railway line right behind the motel but we were facing the other way and did not hear anything at all. All in all, for a short 3 day stay , this suits our needs and our budget.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Downey, California
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Hotel is not safe cameras dont work my room was burglaries. Think befor goin to this hotel. the area facing the river is not secure. Cameras where not working in this area. I was charged for my stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: go to Best western
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Antonio P
Lakeland, Florida
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Big pluses and big minuses. Great complimentary breakfast, especially the cooked to order waffles. Expansive view from west facing room to the waterway. Sometimes a train will go by there. Negatives: room cleaners came at 4:00 PM to freshen up room; we exchanged towels. Dirty exterior. Will try another hotel next time.

Room Tip: West facing, back of hotel, rooms have an expansive view towards the waterway.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank EDWARD M
Tampa, Florida, United States
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Me and my fiancee took a trip to St. Augustine,FL during the long weekend of labor day ( 9/3---9/5/2012). Made reservations through priceline.com for a 1 non smoking queen bedroom. when i reached there at 12:30 pm afternoon, front desk (Mr Garry) informed me that its extra 20dollars to check in early before 3 pm which is actual chedck in time, which i read thoroughly during reserving the rooom, but was curious if they let me check in early if room was ready. We decide to check in later in the evening as we had planned to go around the historic city. In the evening when we returned back to hotel at 7 PM we got our room keys to room # 120. The moment i opened the door to my room,i see the comforter was piled up on the bed, trash was in room, bed was unprepared. I immediately went to the front desk who upgraded me to a king bedroom at upper level apologising for the inconveniency. The king bedroom had a used sock lying by the bed frame on the side, which meant house-keeping didnt do a good job. Also the room did not have a micro-wave which i informed about to the front desk. Apart from that the TVs are so old it only telecasted 5 channels repeatedly. Bathroom hold bar was all rusty. Our trip was terrific except our stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Indianwithdeo
Naples, Florida
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I have been a Choice Privaleges member since 2000, and have never stayed in such a DISGUSTING Choice property!
We were originally going to stay 3 nights...I wanted to leave immediately after checking in (first room key I was given,was unlocked and had wet dirty rags + an open bar of soap on the counter, and no clean towels. After getting a very unconcerned attitude from Paula I was given another room. 2nd room had broken chain lock on the floor when we went in, and was not vacuumed, there were empty grocery bags on the armoire and old food in the refrigerator. I returned the chain to the front desk and reported this and the condition of the room to the front desk clerk (Paula), and was not offered another room or a maint person to fix/clean it. Instead I felt as if I were being a "problem Guest") I was very sunburned and felt ill, and my daughter wanted to swim, is the only reason we stayed. We had a QQ room, and were unable to use one of the beds, as the sheets were FILTHY and the Comforter had what appeared to be VOMIT on it...unuseable...the alarm clock, remote control and telephone were also UNTOUCHABLE as they were FILTHY and STICKY :( My daughter enjoyed the pool, even though She was unable to use the pool restroom, the toilet was stopped up and the floor was NASTY DIRTY! Breakfast was good. When I voiced my concerns about the condition of the room at checkout, I was given a 10% discount by the clerk, but no apology from her. I will NEVER return to this place or recommend it. What a shame such a Beautiful city has such a disgusting/careless property w/ a CHOICE rateing.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family