“Beach location”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #64 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Room was very damp - I would think if air conditioner was good, the room would be comfortable. Room was a little dirty, no hot water at night, but water was hot in the morning - could they be cheap and have it on a timer? Breakfast was nothing to brag about. On the plus side - you could walk to the beach and the staff was very friendly.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 18, 2012

The hotel is as basic as they come. Even smelled old. My room was musty smelling and the front desk "made a note of it". Pool had stuff floating in it, hallways dark, room dark, breakfast grim. Go to another exit, pay 1/2 the price and get a better room.

Not the hotels fault, but the surrounding interstate exit stuff is nasty as well. Not a good meal to be found, confusing turns and driveways to businesses in the area. I did not go to the outlet mall, but perhaps that is this area's positive.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We arrived in FL on Friday, September 21, 2012 and our condo wasn't available until Saturday so we needed a place to stay for one night. On our way down in Georgia when we decided we were going to drive all the way to St. Augustine I got online and booked a room with Choice Hotels at this comfort inn, having always had great experiences with choice hotels!!! We arrived and I checked in, the lady at the desk was very nice and yes the place looked a bit outdated but who cares it was a one night stay and as long as it was clean that is all I worry about. Our daughter had already fallen asleep so I promptly carried her in to our first floor room and put her into bed, my husband and son came in after gathering up the bags and right away my husband saw a roach crawling down the wall, I assumed he was mistaken and said I was sure it wasn't a roach but when I turned around there was one crawling down the dresser!!!! My husband pulled the dresser away from the wall only to find at least 5 visible roaches crawling around on the wall, we immediately grabbed everything and got out of the room. When my husband went to the desk and asked for a refund he was told that she was not authorized to give refunds and we should see a room on the second floor, when he refused she kept trying to insist we see a room on the second floor. She then explained to my husband that roaches are just a part of FL because of the water and moisture and that there are far worse things than roaches!!!!! My husband then told her that they didn't advertise roaches in the brochure and that where we come from roaches are a bad thing, she then looked at our information and said oh yes in MD you aren't used to roaches I should have put you in a room on the second floor to start with!!!! I guess in her mind roaches can't climb to the second floor but I wasn't staying on the second floor or any floor in this hotel. I have vacationed in FL numerous times and have never had a roach in my accommodations and they have ranged from cheesy motels to condos, town homes, trailers, and even my family's homes!!!! My husband then insisted that we were leaving and was told that a manager would contact him in the morning to see about a refund. We then got back in the car and started to search for a new hotel and ended up driving back 25 minutes to the Comfort Suites at the World Golf Village which was wonderful to us after such a horrible experience.
The next morning my husband called the hotel and was told that a refund had already been issued as they had emailed Phoenix. He then called Choice Hotels and was told that they had lied to us about the night staff not being able to issue refunds and that there is no reason to email Phoenix and there is no record of a refund or an email. 5 days later we still had no refund so my husband called Choice Hotels again and was told that it was being issued and that they would be taking care of it.
I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone and the only reason I gave it one star is because I had to it really was a horrible place and I can't believe they tried to not refund our money and lied to us about it all. After reading the reviews, which I always do but didn't as we were in the car I would never have chosen this place and the fact that the room was $89.00 and only $99.00 at the World Golf Village I will stay there next time I go on vacation!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank mickey71193
Reviewed September 24, 2012

A few weeks before my birthday, as a surprise, my hunny reserved a room at a comfortable, decent, clean place, in St. Augustine, FL, with a few little "extras" like a wet bar and a pull out couch (in case we wanted to... I don't know, sit on something other than the bed, have a little drink, play cards, and otherwise be WILD and CRAZY like that), for my birthday weekend. Anticipating a well deserved break; we run our own business and have three kids, we packed up and went on a "holiday" to celebrate our combined birthdays. UNBEKNOWNST to us, our reservation was CHANGED by the general manager of the hotel, the MORNING before we arrived, from that slightly plushier room, to the bare bones version with basically a bed, a tv, and the standard coffee maker/microwave/fridge. My hunny had hoped to surprise me with something a little "extra" whether we USED the wet bar or not - (we basically had no designs on the booze, but we DID pay a little extra for the privilege of it being a POSSIBILITY), because HE felt I do that extra all darn year and deserve one or two special days being treated EXTRA nice. Imagine his disgust when we asked the woman behind the counter WHY we did not have the room that we had reserved, only to be told a LIE, "We do not know why Expedia.com puts that on there, we don't HAVE rooms with a wet bar and a couch. Only these standard rooms.". 1) A later anonymous call netted us the following info... they do INDEED have rooms with a wet bar and couch but for a HIGHER rate than the internet/early reservation discounted rate we had taken advantage of. 2) We did NOT reserve through Expedia.com, we reserved through Choicehotels.com. 3) We are not the sort to take this lying down - we called Choicehotels.com who CONFIRMED that the hotel does indeed HAVE these rooms, that our reservation was manually changed 12 hours before we arrived, BY the general manager. I was told that unfortunately, hotels do this; they either OVERBOOK that sort of room, or get a call from someone ready to pay FULL price, looking for the room YOU got for a discounted rate, and they BUMP you down to get the extra money. Had we been ASKED via a phone call or email, if we would accept a different room, at a deep discount, so they could use OUR room for someone else, we may very well have taken that. Had we been offered an apology and a discount when we ASKED what happened (rather than a lie), we may have been mollified... but to be LIED to over roughly $36??? Well... we will never get that weekend back and my hunny will have to remember the disappointment of his surprise being yanked out from under us, forever. Choicehotels WAS nice and credited our account a BUNCH of points towards a free night elsewhere if we would like even though it was not THEIR mistake, and a complaint has been lodged against the hotel. While they may think that it was WORTH it, bumping us "bargain hunters" out so they could get a little extra cash for the room, for those 2 nights, I would like to make it LESS worth it. If anyone wants to stay in that area, I hope they remember this. You are NOT a person they are interested in, you are a wallet, and if they gain access to a fatter wallet, it is a risk they are willing to take. Take your business elsewhere as an INFORMED consumer. There are other lovely and reasonable places just as close to the beautiful historic district, that think you are PEOPLE.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Deborah M
Reviewed July 22, 2012

When booking the hotel I booked one room for one person. A few days after booking, three people decided to join me on my trip. I called the hotel and spoke with a staff person stating I would have 4 people in my party and I needed double beds. After getting to the hotel and telling them 4 people, I was informed I would be charged $10 per person. I told the hotel staff my frustrations and how I had previously called and was not informed of his extra charge. They insisted I had to pay. I did not appreciate the extra charge as it was not shared with me when I called and said four people. I will know next time to just say two people, no matter how many people are in my party!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 21, 2012

wow, where to start? in between days on beach house rentals with our dog, so we needed a dog friendly hotel for one night.........very few choices that would accept pets, so we chose the closest to our beach house rental the next day. Check in was fine, property looked ok, then the fun started. There was no shower curtain in the shower, towels were left on the bed and the room had a wonderful animal urine smell---nice to pay the extra $20 for a dog to boot! Ours took one sniff and turned around to leave. Then there's the pool -- hot tub sized with a whopping two tables, one with no working umbrella in St Augustine in July? c'mon folks, keep a spare! Granted this ain't the Ritz, but there is supposed to be a minimum standard for any hotel/motel -- no shower curtain? really? Receipt says "will become a Quality Inn in January, 2013" - hope the new chain can raise the bar of this pathetic wanna be motel -- at least to 2 star status. My advice? try the La Fiesta Inn up the road and sneak the pooch in!

Room Tip: get a no pet room or avoid altogether
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank capitollobbyist
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We made a sudden stop on our way to Disney..The room we stayed in was on the 3rd floor. The room was very clean, the beds were soooo nice for a good nights sleep, after the long drive.

Very nice and lovely breakfast ,enjoyed it very much .

Free coffee at the reception desk, at all times of the day, nice service. I would give the front desk and the Housekeep service A+

Thanks for making our stay as complete as possible.

We checked out at ten in de morning and left our bags in storage, and that was no problem. We came back for our bags at 2 in the afternoon and also that was not a problem.
All the staff was very helpfull.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family