“Very nice hotel with great staff”

Casa Monica Resort & Spa, Autograph Collection
Ranked #17 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Minnesota
“Very nice hotel with great staff”
Reviewed July 3, 2009

Traveled to St. Augustine for business conference/vacation with family. The hotel was outstanding. The rooms were large, clean, and very comfortable. The hotel is in a historic building, but has been modernized very well. The location can't be beat. You are within walking distance of all things in historic downtown St. Augustine. We didn't need our car all week. We didn't try the hotel restaurant, which seemed a bit upscale for my small children. There is a coffee shop on the first floor and dozens of restaurants within walking distance. One of the best things about this hotel is the complementary use of a local beach club. The beach club had a private beach and very nice pools, one pool for adults only. Overall we enjoyed our stay very much, and the staff was excellent and always willing to assist; making sure our stay was great.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank sheacj

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
  • Polish first
Austin
Reviewed July 3, 2009

We bid on a room through priceline and got a reservation for a "European Room". The room was about the size of most American rooms, with a king bed and 4 star furnishing, just what we expected. We had done our research before bidding and knew there would be a $14 resort charge and $25 parking, and bid accordingly. We did not park at the hotel, just a block away on the street, which was fine. The staff was very friendly and the hotel was in nice shape.

The town however is undergoing construction and has many vacant businesses due to the economy. The Bridge of Lions is about completely torn down and being rebuilt, and there is a temporary bridge. The streets and walkways are blocked of in a few areas, so we wish we had known this before we went so we could have seen the town at a latter date when it looked nicer.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank earthtravel1
mattmgrant
Reviewed June 12, 2009

First the good, it is in a good location and it is a historic property. Now the rest... Though historic, the renovations are very tacky and akin to Disney World, so don't expect much in that department. As a caveat, I work in the hotel business and we own many upscale hotels throughout the US. I understand the importance of increasing revenue generating departments, but Kessler has gone overboard and I can assure you that I and anyone else I speak to never stays at one of their hotels.

When ordering just an entree for dinner, I was charged a $3 service fee PLUS a 'customary' 22% gratuity. Since when is 22% customary? They also charged $20 for parking. In New York or some other metropolitan city, sure this makes sense. This does not make sense here since parking is probably free to them. Then we have the $14 daily resort fee. This is a fee tacked on at the end your stay for use of the beach club and fitness center--even if you never used it. How disengenuous--just add it to the upfront cost. What are you... a low cost airline?? I'm surprised they didn't try to charge me for toilet and shower use.

Lastly, the service was mediocre at best. I felt like the staff didn't want to be there. I can't blame them though, they probably weren't hired at the Hilton.

• Stayed June 2009
5 Thank mattmgrant
Illinois
Reviewed June 9, 2009

If you are looking for the most upscale adult hotel in Saint Augistine, I would say this one is it. (we have stayed at the Hilton and the Casa Monica was more charming and had a better location) I would recommend this hotel, for business travelers, Couples looking for a romantic destination weekend, or singles. We traveled here with our 2 1/2 year old. This hotel has an amzazing location right down the street from Shopping on historic George Street, near the Basillica, Lightner museum, and Fort. The decor in this hotel is exceptional ( we must have taken a hundred photos) The rooms are "ok" but not 4 or 5 star quality. Beds are not very comfortable (hard) and sitting on large base boxes. The bathroom ( although updated) is missing a bathtub and has a small vanity area.
The pool is worthless (very very small and shallow)
The restaurant 95 Cordova is nice, but not for small children and pricey. They do not offer a children's menu. The hotel charges a $14 resort fee for the use of the Seranata Beach Club ( located 15 minutes away directly on the beach) If you choose not to use this facility you are still charged the resort fee.The Seranata is nice, but not worth the drive or the crowds of people. The parking is horrible in Saint Augustine. Either you need to feed a meter (hard to do overnight) or pay to valet your car at the hotel for $28 a day which is also overpriced. Of course the internet is also extra. It is a beautiful and historic town and hotel. Nice for the weekend but nothing more, and not a hotel for children. Would recommend driving 15 minutes out of downtown and staying at the Renaissance World Golf Resort if you have children.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Timbuktu, Mali
Reviewed June 9, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Casa Monica this past weekend for our wedding anniversary. Here are some observations that may be of assistance to you.

Valet is $20 a day but worth it because historic St. Augustine is a very walkable town. It was nice to just ditch the car for a few days! There is a pay lot ($9/day I believe) down the street if you want something a little less expensive, or of course there are meters on the street (bring quarters!).

The lobby and rooms of the hotel are handsomely decorated. The furniture and fabrics are amazing! Our room was on the 3rd floor with a king bed and a nice balcony, although the windows only opened to a tiny crack. We had a fabulous view of the Lightner Museum across the street. The bathroom was well stocked with nice bath products and it had been upgraded with the rounded shower curtain rod for more space and also had nice granite countertops. My only complaints about the room were the lack of an exhaust fan in the bathroom, the noisy A/C, the fact that the bathroom sink didn't drain quickly, and the spots of mildew on the shower curtain. If you are a light sleeper, the A/C might become an issue (when it comes on, watch out as it comes on with force!).

We only used the bar area twice to get drinks and we did not have any issues, in fact, the servers were very courteous. We did not eat at 95 Cordova but it looked very upscale. The pool area is really nice. There is also the use of a separate building that is on the beach if you prefer (I believe you would have to drive there). The workout room looked small but modern.

As for location, Casa Monica seemed to be in the heart of it all. It was within walking distance to everything there is to see in historic St. Augustine.

Overall, it was a romantic and fun weekend thanks to the Casa Monica. My complaints above are small compared to the service/ambiance.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hosalito
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed June 4, 2009

My recent experience at the Casa Monica Hotel was a total nightmare. I would not have believed the awful service if I did not see it for myself. My fiancé and I stayed at the Casa Monica on Saturday, May 30, 2009. This was our first overnight stay at the Casa Monica. We frequently dine at 95 Cordova, but usually stay at B&B’s for the weekend. We made the terrible mistake of choosing Casa Monica for our stay.
We were given Room 411. At 2:00am, pouring water from the ceiling abruptly awakened us. Apparently, the jacuzzi in the room above sprung a huge leak. After several unsuccessful attempts to call the front desk, we frantically got dressed and ran down to get help. A huge puddle had already formed at the foot of our bed. The representative was apologetic and handed me another room key. We were not offered any type of compensation. Upon entering our 2nd room, I was horrified to discover we had been downgraded. Our new room was the size of a closet. I honestly wanted to cry. How could this hotel have been awarded a 4 star diamond rating by AAA?
I could not believe my eyes when the bill was slipped under our door. We were charged FULL price. At 9:00am, we went down to the front desk to explain in detail our ordeal that night. The front desk representative offered to take $65 off the room rate. What a disgrace. We were completely insulted. I stated that this was not acceptable and asked to speak to a manager. The representative then offered to charge us $40 for the night. I found this still utterly ridiculous, but at that point we just wanted to get the hell out of the hotel. To add insult to injury, we spent $250 at 95 Cordova the night before. We will never return to the Casa Monica. The room and service were equivalent to a motel 6.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Cappy305
Orlando
Reviewed May 30, 2009

I had watched a T.V. travel program some time ago where the Casa Monica Hotel was one of the featured hotels for Florida travel. The hotel looked so beautiful. St. Augustine was soon to be one of our destinations.
I booked our hotel room thru Travel Zoo because of the good value and the additional resort fees waived.
My boyfriend and I had arrived on our Motorcycles with our luggage in tow. I waited patiently to check in as there was 1 woman attending to check-ins. I had asked for bellman service. The front desk clerk radio'd to the bellman to let him know our motorcycles were in front and needed help with the luggage, the bellman's radio'd reply was telling us to bring our luggage in to the lobby. I thought, great start! - so much for service. I told her we might as well bring the luggage up to our room. Her reply with a forced smile was- Alright then ...and off I went.
The room was clean but small and our bed was quite comfortable.
Started the evening in the beautiful bar/lounge that advertised Happy Hour / Hors D'oeuvres 4pm - 7pm. Hors D'oeuvres (cheese) were not brought out till 5:10pm. Also, advertised was the Wine Tasting that was supposed to start at 5pm We had left at 5:30pm and the Wine event had not yet begun. We had anticipated using the Jacuzzi, unfortunately it was under repairs and not available on our first night stay. Parking was an issue as you have 2 choices. Either pay for 2hr. timed parking meters or the Casa Monica valet at $20.00 per night. The price for valet wasn't an issue until the Hotel wanted to charge us $20.00 per motorcycle per night.
A nice looking Hotel, but not recommended if you are looking for a vacation hotel or knowledgeable staff.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple