“Historic Work of Art”

Ranked #16 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Atlanta, Georgia
“Historic Work of Art”
Reviewed August 1, 2014

This is St. Augustine, the oldest continually inhabited city in the US, so if you visit, you must stay in a historic landmark property. The Casa Monica continues to deliver an authentic, and updated, near-luxury hotel experience.

It is small and Boutique-y, though probably the largest property in downtown St. A. The entire hotel is adorned with local native and spanish-influenced art, with a near museum feel to it.

The rooms are spacious by modern standards, with very capable A/C to keep out the humid Florida air that so often haunts old Florida (or coastal southern) Hotels. It may be a little loud, but that's better than musty and moldy.

They have a nice bar, restaurant and cafe staffed by friendly locals, and the Valet/Bell service is helpful and efficient.

As a fan of class and charm, the Casa Monica stands out to me as a great place to stay and enjoy.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
KesslerCorporate, Manager at Casa Monica Resort & Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, September 4, 2014
CFRHallett,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your experience at the Casa Monica Hotel! We take a great deal of pride in our art and decor and I am glad to see that you enjoyed it. I was especially happy to see your comment about the staff being friendly, helpful, and efficient and I will be sure to pass this comment on to the respective departments.

We hope that you choose to stay with us again soon!

Ryan Paske
Front Desk Supervisor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Polish first
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed July 31, 2014

We went for two nights to celebrate my birthday. Our room was spacious and beautifully decorated. The location was great-everything within walking distance. There is a beautiful pool area with lots of comfortable couches. I even got a birthday card from the manager!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DJK0708
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Very nice hotel rich with history rooms were excellent and great breakfast. Room are spacious and the pool is nice, This hotels was built in the 1800's great art work and the elevator was a little slow ,Great location

Room Tip: i stayed in President Bill Clinton Room. I did not vote for him but compared to the "O" h...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank michael W
Pittsburgh
Reviewed July 29, 2014

I really wanted to love this hotel, situated in the heart of the historic district, within walking distance to everything St. Augustine. The hotel epitomizes everything the Kessler group is known for: historic buildings, art collections, brand wines,in room music compilations. I will start with pros and cons.
Pro: the hotel is magnificently restored. The rooms are period furnished with large window views of the street below. They are decadent with everything available to ensure you have a "Kessler" experience.the elevator is key card protected to ensure your safety, as well as the artwork that adorns the walls. Room not cleaned? A phone call will ensure it is done immediately and to perfection. The pool deck has a house phone with a food and beverage menu posted for service while you swim. The lounge offers a selection of signature drinks and comfortable seating, live entertainment on some evenings.there is a breakfast shop serving Starbuck's coffee, with both indoor and outdoor seating.
Cons: there was spa construction that included a jackhammering, that went on for two days. Unfortunately, it seemed the loudest in our room. The general manager did stop the noise at 6pm after multiple complaints, despite being told that it would cease at 4pm. After a day's respite, it started again.
There were multiple groups coming and going during our stay and when the lounge was full, the noise was unbearable due to the echoing in the cavernous area.
Having stayed at the Mansion and Bohemian in Savannah, it was no surprise when we received notice that one of the public areas would be closed for a private function. This did not have much impact this trip but in the past visits to Kessler hotels it was a concern.
There were alternatives to every con and the pros far out weighted any inconvenience. I would stay again, however, my suggestion is to have the construction schedule highlighted on the Marriott reservation page, as Marriott does for it's brand hotels.

Room Tip: Room 465 had a fabulous views with two windows at right angle to each other.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MAB2320
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed July 28, 2014

I have mixed feelings about this hotel, first it is beautiful and perfect location. The prices are VERY high so I expect the level of service and amenities to match that.

Rooms- just a standard was a good size, bad view but who cares we were outside almost the entire stay. The air is VERY loud as someone else mentioned but I liked it, I need that white noise to fall asleep when I am not at home.
Pool- Again someone mentioned small, YEAH very and no service on the pool deck you have to call.....booo there is a huge space that no one uses build a bar!
Parking- Valet only which should be included with the price they charge.
Service everyone was very helpful but we were site-seeing most of the time so we only spent on night there and didn't eat at the hotel.
This is a great hotel for couples that wants to site see I would go back without the kids, not many activities for them on site.

Room Tip: I would choose a city view if view is important, otherwise you will be looking at people in the tiny...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank RJ823
Medford, New York
Reviewed July 27, 2014

I visited St. Augustine numerous times with family members and have always passed by the Casa Monica hotel. I knew it was a luxury hotel and on this vacation I chose to go with a friend of mine and we decided to spend the $375 for the standard room. I was expecting great things from this hotel for the price I paid. I was shocked to find that upon my arrival I had to pay a $25 parking fee and that it wasn't included in the cost of room. (That's like buying a 7 series BMW and charging you for the floor mats!) When we got the room it was the very last room on an unimpressive 2nd floor facing the courtyard of the swimming pool. Our view was literally of other people sun tanning instead of something more scenic like Flagler College or the town square. To make matters worse, nearly everything on the room had a price tag on it and wasn't included in the cost of the room (water, wine, robes, etc....keep in mind you are spending almost $400 on this room) And to add insult to injury, the room wasn't even all that clean. There was a wadded up piece of dental floss from the person's visit before us still in the bathroom under the sink. The glass surfaces of the desk and tv stand were smudged and didn't look like they were wiped down at all. And wait, it actually does get worse, the air conditioning is terrible in this place! IT IS LOUD ENOUGH TO WAKE THE DEAD! The whole night we had to endure this antiquated air conditioning for which we had to blast the tv just to hear what was going on. This was just an overall disappointment. I expected a lot more from this hotel and I couldn't have been more let down. I'd pick somewhere else to go if you want to stay somewhere in St. Augustine and save your money.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank James E
KesslerCorporate, Executive Admin at Casa Monica Resort & Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent experience at the Casa Monica Hotel. We regret to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. We sincerely apologize for the lack of cleanliness that you described. We did not meet your—or our own—standards. I will address this issue as well as the noise from the air conditioning with our team. We hope that you will return to our hotel for another opportunity to provide you with outstanding experiences.

Amanda Gay
Exectuive Admin
Casa Monica Hotel
West Palm Beach
Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

What a delightful experience our stay was. The location of Casa Monica is perfect for Saint Augustine. So many sights and activities are within waking distance. The room was extremely clean. The staff always greeted us and asked if we needed anything at all at any time. My only disappointment was with the morning breakfast service at the restaurant. While the food was good, the service was very slow and servers were inattentive. Dinner at the restaurant was delicious and fresh; the dinner servers were perfect, very attentive and friendly. Casa Monica was not a disappointment. I definitely recommend staying here.

Stayed July 2014