“Old world feel in US oldest city” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Monica Resort & Spa, Autograph Collection

Casa Monica Resort & Spa, Autograph Collection
Ranked #12 of 77 Hotels in Saint Augustine
West Chester, Pennsylvania
“Old world feel in US oldest city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We stayed here while attending the Gentlemen of the Road tour. Needless to say there were 30,000 people in town that weekend. Despite the hotel being full, the bar being filled to overflowing, the service was impeccable. There was live music in the lobby, but our room was quiet, cozy and the bed extremely comfortable. It's hard to find anything old in Florida. St Augustine is celebrating its 450th anniversary. The hotel reflects the time at the turn of the 20th century when the wealthy were lured to Florida in the winter on the railroad. This history is evident everywhere in the hotel. But, at the same time it has all the modern conveniences and it is in the center of town, so park your car and walk everywhere!

• 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Polish first
Largo, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I had debated on which property to stay in while in St. Augustine, after reading other reviews it seemed apparent. I am so happy I went with Casa Monica. It was an absolutely relaxing pleasant stay. We stayed in the Premium King Room. The room and hotel very clean. Everything stated would be in room was there such as robes which I always find I have to ask for not here. Nice size rooms and bathroom very nice as well. Plenty of room for us both. All the staff very friendly and helpful. Bonus the hotel has excellent restaurant, nice lounge and plenty of things to do at your disposal. The hotel itself is historical to boot. The location is accessible to everything you will want to do while in St. Augustine. Hesitate no more this is THE PLACE to stay!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in Premium King room on second floor. If you want to have easy access to gym and pool its...
Green Features: You have environmental choice to have linens changed every second day if you choose.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank CJW1928
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

This hotel is gorgeous! No detail was left undone. Location is everything and this place has it hands down. Across the street from Flagler College and within a short walks' distance to everything...shopping, dining, the riverfront, St George Street and all the great historical sights of St. Augustine. Our room was clean and very comfortable. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank stormy1208
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

My husband and I had been through a stressful time, so he surprised me with a night at the Casa Monica. I have always wanted to stay here because of its reputation, history, location and beauty. The hotel met my expectations and proved to be a wonderful weekend escape. We happened to be there for the First Fridays Art Walk, which was fantastic. I highly recommend planning a weekend trip around the first Friday of the month if you can. Galleries around town are open with free wine sampling and light food, and the Lightner Museum has free admission for the first floor at this time as well.

Our room was very clean. The only small issue was the nightstand lamp did not work. My husband requested a higher room with the reservation, so we were on 3rd floor with a partial view of the pool. Our room (344) overlooked a roof, then the pool. You may want to request the other side of the pool if you prefer not to overlook the roof.
We did continuous play of the Kessler Collection CD in the nightstand clock radio to get the full Kessler effect when we would come back to our room each time ;)
The room had a wine bottle opener - it's like they knew we always forget to bring one. Buy a bottle while you're out for the day, and enjoy later in your room when your feet are tired. There is a wine shop just up King St with unique, small batch selections.
The bed was extremely comfortable, and the room was pretty quiet so we had a very restful sleep.

We made good use of the pool and loved the poolside daybeds. Use the phone near the towels to call for drink service. We wish we had known! Pool is on the 2nd floor, same floor as the gym.

Staff was friendly, attentive and courteous. We used the valet service and the lobby bar. We hung out in the comfortable Lobby seating area for part of the night, relaxing and listening to the live music. Drinks are always great here, and reasonably priced compared to what we're used to in Orlando. The convenience of the location is bliss, and we were able to leave our car parked until 5pm the day of checkout, which is a very nice service. I will always remember it as a great stay.

Room Tip: Try requesting a higher room with accomodations on the reservation. Our room (344) overlooked a roof...
2 Thank amhdesign
Ponce Inlet, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Based soley on beauty, customer service and quality of room - I rate this hotel 5 star. However, we had 2 problems while we were there. 1. Marriott needs to work out its problems transferring points. Two couples in our party had difficulties in getting checked in. One lost their room all together and one was on the phone with Marriott for almost 2 hours trying to correct the problem (and their credit card had already been charged!). I had booked through the priority club as well, but thankfully I had an email confirmation and was able to prove the booking. It almost ruined the weekend. They lost the second night of my reservation. The whole thing was a total debacle! The staff at Casa Monica tried so hard to help us - it is clearly a Marriott problem - which needs fixed immediately. 2. A waiter at the pool charged both our credit card and room for the same rounds of drinks. We asked to have it removed and the lady working at the pool remembered that we had used our credit card. We still have not gotten this charge removed. Again, hotels fault or just shady employee? Despite the bad start and poor waiter everything else was fantiastic. We enjoyed lounging by the pool and entertaining in the lounge area of our suite. The hotel is centrally located and easy walking distance to all of the attractions. Have breakfast at La Herencia. It was wonderful! As for the hotel, I would definately stay again, however I will book directly with the hotel and bypass Marriott all together. Moral of the story - make sure you have email confirmation if booking through Marriott!

Room Tip: 5th floor is the suite floor.
Orlando, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Very clean rooms, nice staff, We did use the valet parking and that staff was exceptional. The café is really good to have breakfast ,lunch and dinner/late snack and seat outside for a beautiful view. You won't need to get your car out, as the location is right in the middle of the town. You can walk everywhere. We would stay at this property again.

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

This is the first Kessler collection I have stayed at the end of July to August 2. It was an amazing experience and a long time dream. I know that sounds corny but I didn't think I'd be able to stay here when I first saw it years and years ago. It is lovely and the attention to detail is outstanding. It was a celebration of our 5th year of marriage. The location is perfect in St Augustine for roaming around at any time of the day or evening. The room was so lovely and I just loved it. It was a standard room we got for $129/night through travel zoo...so, it was very affordable. We stayed 3 nights and paid one full rate which was still affordable at $160 something. Our room was 203. Second floor and looked out over the courtyard with the low fountain. I heard next to no traffic noise..especially when the A/C fan was on,and that A/C fan LOUD! (Room 203) We did use the valet parking and that staff was exceptional. They weren't concerned about the tip but providing great service. I was a little disappointed our car wasn't in covered parking or a locked garage but it was great service....$24 a day. There is a photo attached of our room. Again, it was lovely. There are very few minor things that could be updated due to wear but I believe overall, they do maintain the Kessler and Marriott brand well. My husband ordered flowers which were in the room when we arrived. There were amenities in the room - a bottle of red wine ($29), water ($5 or $6), original cd ($15), lovely bathroom soaps and hair products (free), Bose sound system to use, a wet bar and fridge, large desk, overhead fan...it was more than I expected. The grounds were fantastic. We did not use the pool but walked around the halls and the pool area. The cabanas on the pool deck seemed to be a nice touch. Next time, we will take time for lounging. There was a least one oblivious staff member who served us lunch that could use retraining...she spilled some fries in my husbands lap and just kept going. She was tall, blond, and kind of bull like...just shooting ahead without stopping. She didn't apologize. We didn't hold this against the hotel..she was just one staff delivering food. We both had a hamburger and fries. There was a very limited menu at mid afternoon. It was tasty but we could get that at several other places sooo...

The other staff was fun, professional, helpful, and friendly. The front desk staff attentive. We didn't make it to the art gallery but did press our noses against the window. :)
I believe everything about our experience was outstanding and exceeded our expectations...minus the ONE wait staff...
We didn't eat dinner but did eat breakfast. I had oatmeal. Husband had a full eggs, etc breakfast. Not fast cooking service but attentive staff.(If you are in a hurry).
The sleep quality rating is mid-range because of the A/C fan noise. It was reported but affected my husband more than me.
This is an experience...not an inexpensive one, but definitely a memorable one. We love St Augustine and the Casa Monica took up our favorite city to a different level I look forward to repeating.

Room Tip: the a/c in 203 was very loud. We had to run it at night (fan rather than auto) so the noise wasn'...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple