“Perfect Location to enjoy downtown St. Augustine”

Casa Monica Resort & Spa, Autograph Collection
Ranked #17 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
titusville
“Perfect Location to enjoy downtown St. Augustine”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Casa Monica in HIstoric Downtown St. Augustine. St. Augustine is a special city for us and we travel there often. Because the room rates are often around $300, we never were inclined to stay there. But I stumbled on a bargain rate and booked a room for two nights. First let me say the location is great. If you want to get around the historic downtown on foot - and you do - then Casa Monica is an ideal location. Close enough to walk to all the sights, yet far enough away from the bars and the bands to get a good night sleep. The art exhibit continually on display in the lobby is just one of the nice features. They also have a welcoming piano bar and a decent restaurant. The friendly wait and hotel staff demonstrated first class customer service skills. Early check-in was no problem. Room was on the small side and there was no refrigerator, but those ammenities are not important if you don't plan on spending a lot of time cooped up in the room. Would be delighted to stay there again - if I stumbled on another bargain rate. Overall great experience, but I certainly would not pay $300 a night for it!

Room Tip: You can pay a bit more for a nicer view, but my less expensive view of the street wasn't noisy o...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank s k

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Polish first
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Perfect place for a girlfriend's weekend!!!! Shopping and wine within walking distance and so much charm around. Private pool away from the hassle and bustle of downtown but right in the heart. Staff treats you well and is polite and accommodating. Lovely thick sheets to make you feel like a princess! So much history in this hotel.

Room Tip: The expensive ones are not worth the added price unless you are there for a special occasion.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Christine M
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I have to say that I was quite disappointed in our room shortly after I entered it. It's large enough for a king size bed, but don't be looking for that nice chair, where you can sit and watch TV. Well, ok, I didn't pay for the bigger room. I'll lay uncomfortably on the feather pillows I asked not to have and check my email. Oh sorry, that will be $10 extra per day. What? I could have stayed at the Holiday Express, had a chair to sit in and WiFi all for $50 less per day. Granted, I wouldn't have that fancy lobby or people always telling me to enjoy my stay, but I would have had a chair and WiFi - included for less. I like very nice hotels as much as the next guy, but this one just feels cheap. Location is good and the lobby is nice. If that's worth the extra cost to you, enjoy the Casa Monica.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jeanne H
The Villages, Florida
Reviewed May 15, 2013

While driving back to Miami from Asheville, we decided to stay here on Mother's Day. The hotel lobby and rooms are stunning. However, we ended up eating in the hotel restaurant, something that I typically avoid. They had a special menu for Mother's day, and the food was truly exceptional, the waitstaff was knowledgeable, and the entire experience was wonderful. I respectfully disagree with those who complained about the room cost -- I found the pricing to be very reasonable for this type of hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank John M
Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

We arrived at Casa Monica in the wee hours of the morning after driving from home. There was no valet outside but the front desk staff were extremely helpful in getting our car unloaded and parking the car. The hotel is in a great location within walking distance to historic sites, shops, restaurants, the fort, and hop-on hop-off trolley. Our room was huge with a view of the pool. Although the hotel was older there were plenty of updates that made it seem modern. At some older hotels the bathroom has needed updates but this bathroom was updated and spacious. We would stay at casa Monica again.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Willowvacay
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Kind of disappointed. Because it is a historic hotel in a convenient location, I was willing to pay $300/night for the experience, but honestly, I've stayed in "cheaper" hotels that were better.The location is nice, and the rooms are ok, but I don't think it was worth it. I think I'll find a hotel down by the river next time.

Room Tip: Bring your own pillow (slept horribly on the overstuffed pillow).
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Ardsley on Hudson, NY
Reviewed May 10, 2013

This is an old style hotel with classic decorative charm right in the heart of nations oldest city, St Augustine- it is now part of the "Autograph" Collection owned by Marriott. We were there week after Christmas and before New Years so they still had Holiday decorations which added to the charm. Pianist in Lobby bar (I assume all year) also added to the quality of the experience. Great location to do walking tours of coty and fort etc. use valet parking much better.

Room Tip: West side probably more sun because of open park in front
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple