“Pricy YES! Worth it? Maybe”

Casa Monica Resort & Spa, Autograph Collection
Ranked #16 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Stuart, Florida
“Pricy YES! Worth it? Maybe”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Ok, so read through all the other reviews and you’ll see that this place is historic, charming, etc., and also pricy! At over $300 per night for St. Augustine, you bet cha, although some B&Bs will get close to this price. $24 per night to park is a bit up there too, but then again there is little place to park near downtown St. Augustine. As others have mentioned I did find the room noisy hearing everyone around me talking, laughing and of course all the toilet flushing. But, it is a historic hotel right? The one great thing it has going for it is the location. I can’t complain, I got my room on Marriott points but I have to say next time I go back to St. Augustine I’ll probably stay on the outskirts of town and save $200 per night.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Polish first
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed April 14, 2013

It was our first stay in St Augustine, and we really loved this historic city.
The Casa Monica is also a great architectoral juwel, and the location is excellent, every thing being within walking distance. As it is a historic building, the rooms are not very large, and our room had no opening windows...a little frustrating...and rather small and high ......
I think choosing a higher room category would be an excellent choice...caution in the Restaurant !! It may be rather noisy when greater parties are there, and not all the tables are good.....service was ok in general, but in the restaurant, it was a little like " I would like to, but I can't "

Room Tip: choose a higher room category, maybe checking on internet will help to find the right category !
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Marietta, Georgia, USA
Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

At almost $300/night, expectations are high. The lobby is absolutely gorgeous and looks as good as any fine hotel you'll ever be in. The rooms, though, are not great and are in need of updating...as is the plumbing. You could hear every one around you shutting off their shower in the morning with a very loud "thud". Carpet is pulling way from the wall, no mini fridge in the room, and a severe shortage of plugs -- which is an absolute necessity nowadays.

Luckily, I got this room with rewards points. If I had paid out of pocket, I would not have been a very happy guest.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Jeremy F
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 12, 2013

The Casa Monica has a terrific location in the heart of St. Augustine, close to all the sights and shopping this charming city has to offer. Our room overlooked the park on King Street but was still very quiet. The decor is Old World Spanish which is heavy and dark but very comfortable. We had lunch in the main dining room twice and the food and service were excellent although the decor here was a little worn and tired.
I've saved my favourite part of the hotel for last. The pool is right out of a 1940's movie with all the charm and glamour you'd expect. Palm trees, lion's head fountains spouting water and on one afternoon, a guitarist playing, while dancers practised the tango. Thinking they may have disturbed the sunbathers and swimmers they bought a round of drinks for everyone which was such a lovely gesture.
This is the second Kessler Hotel we've stayed in. The Mansion on Forsyth Park in Savannah is the other one and I'm going to try to get to all their properties over the next few years.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view onto King Street and the park and don't worry about being disturbed by...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
KesslerCorporate, Manager at Casa Monica Resort & Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Hi Patricia,

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us at The Casa Monica and at the Mansion. Thank you for taking the time to write such a vivid review. We're looking forward to seeing you at many more Kessler Collection hotels in the future.

Safe travels,

Laura D.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Our room was spacious and very comfortable plus had a great street side view of King Street! The restaurant was superb, great steak, sides and dessert. Fantastic location as well, right in the middle of old historic St. Augustine. Most everything we wanted to visit was right within walking distance. The service was outstanding as well, they were extremely helpful on several occasions. Defintely the place to stay while in St. Augustine!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi Thunderfan7777,

We're happy to hear you had the full Casa Monica experience from the view of King Street to 95 Cordova Restaurant. We hope to see you back in St. Augustine again soon.

Yours in art and music,
Laura D.
United States
Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

Like other hotels in the Kessler collection, the Casa Monica has a unique, eclectic vibe that I appreciate - this is not your cookie-cutter hotel. The rooms have fabulous one of a kind furniture in rich, dark palettes. The linens, bed and pillow are comfortable but not über luxurious. The room and bathroom were spotless. Soft jazz music played on the Bose speakers, the single serve coffee for the coffeepot was Starbucks, and the bath products were nice and well sized (no micro-mini shampoo bottles here!). The hotel is centrally located in the city's historic center, allowing for easy walks to all points of interest and restaurants. Unfortunately, the insulation between rooms doesn't seem to be great because we could hear everything in the room next door... and I mean everything!!! To dull out the noise, I turned the A/C air from "auto" to "on". I was disappointed that the bathroom in my "premium" room only had a walk-in shower. This is the first hotel I've been to in the $400+ per night price-point that did not have both a separate shower and tub. Traveling with small children and not having a tub was a bit of a nuisance but we managed. The gentleman who checked us in was anything but friendly- not good for first impressions. Fortunately everyone else at the hotel - from valet to housekeeping - were great. Breakfast and dinner at the hotel restaurant, 95 Cordova, was excellent. All being said, we had an enjoyable stay.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank kenscoff
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I know, 4 stars and I'm saying disappointing sounds contradictory, but I'll explain. The room was nice and the location was very good, but we had a few issues with our room and the service was just OK. Its still a good hotel, but I can't give it 5 stars. If I was back, I may try another place. To me, 5 stars is a place I'd want to return to without question.

Room - good size, a bit older building, but with character so not exactly in a bad way. Beds were comfortable. TV was in an odd location in our room but we didn't use it. Internet was good.

Service - we had 2 problems with our room, one sort of serious (toilet overflowing, and tub filling with water during a shower). They responded to the toilet issue quickly and cleaned it all up, but when I mentioned these at check out, they response was disappointing. Check in was not exactly slow, but I waited a while while both ladies gave directions or instructions to another couple. Couldn't one of them have helped me sooner? Not a big deal, but considering the category of the hotel, I thought it could have been better.

Exercise room - good, but a bit small. Didn't use it, but went in to check it out. Pool is a nice one, but its outside so some times of year it may not be a good place to be.

No concierge lounge and breakfast coupons (depends on your rate/status), but the restaurant is pretty expensive so the coupons don't go far.

Location - great for walking around St. Augustine. Its a way off 95 if you're just looking for a place to spend the night, but if you want to be IN St. Augustine, its very nice. There is a ton of places to walk to in 1-10 minutes.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family