“Very nice place, but some concerns”

Casa Monica Resort & Spa, Autograph Collection
Ranked #16 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We spend the past weekend at Casa Monica in St. Augustine.

The valet parking area is interesting, with a couple of classic cars on display. The valets were polite and attentive. I left my cell phone in the car, they were happy to run and retrieve it after they parked the car. The check-in was easy and polite. The room was clean and comfortable. The bar was intimate, with a nice jazz trio playing.

I do have a few concerns, however. We called housekeeping before leaving in the morning to ask for more towels. None were delivered, so when we went out for the evening, we stopped at the desk on the way out and asked them to have more delivered - again, nothing. More concerning, they charge $24 per day for parking. I assumed, incorrectly that they kept the car somewhere protected - I was wrong. We were out walking and passed a public outdoor lot and saw my car there. They charge $9.95 per day for internet. This on top of more than $250 per night for the room. Come on - internet access costs nothing, just provide it. Finally, be careful in the bar - they add 20% as a service charge and don't tell you when they present the bill.

The above notwithstanding, the place is classic, it's beautiful and the staff does try to make your visit enjoyable.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank LLJay
Anthony L, General Manager at Casa Monica Resort & Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2013

Thank you so much for sharing. I want to thank you for the very kind overall comments and pleased that your overall experience meet with your approval. We do offer a package and for one price the parking, internet and other services are bundled for one attractive price. This is a relatively new benefit and has provent to be very well received by our guests. I will ensure out desk staff is offering this at every registration upon arrival. I will also review your comments about the automatic gratuity charge. I do appreciate you bringing this to my attention as it is not a normal practice unless there is a large party. Thank you again.

There are newer reviews for Casa Monica Resort & Spa, Autograph Collection

Reviewed March 11, 2013

I stayed 3 nights during a business meeting held here. The facility is both "old world" and updated. The room size was appropriate to the setting with a generous bath room and those great Marriott beds. All utilities and supporting electonics worked but there was no easy location to charge my phone/IPad. Just had to hunt around a bit. I ate dinner in the restaurant on one night with friends. Impeccable service and great food. Very accommodating even when we asked for some additional folks to join our table late. Be aware that there is no realistic alternative to valet parking since the hotel is in the middle of the historic district and the area is blanketed with 3 hour parking meters. So add $25.00 per day to your hotel rate when estimating the cost of your stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Norsekid
Anthony L, General Manager at Casa Monica Resort & Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2013

It is nice to read that you could take time from your meetings to enjoy more of the Casa Monica, espeically your dining expereince in our 95 Cordova restaurant . Thank you for sharing with our trip advisor readers and hope you can visit from Denver in the near future.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

We booked this hotel on a Travel Zoo special so the price/value ratio was very good. The location is super: blocks to the water, shopping and attractions next door. The hotel is beautiful and there is a lot of history.
We were able to get a mini-fridge in the room at no charge & you might get free Wi-Fi in the lobby if you ask. In my opinion, no hotel should be charging for Wi-Fi in 2013: it costs virtually nothing to provide the service to guests. Valet parking is $24/day so we opted to park outside the hotel on the street (free between 5pm and 10am). If you look, you can find free parking on nearby streets (within 1K).
There is a café in the lobby serving Starbucks coffee and treats. The pool is small, but great for kids (3ft 6in deep on all sides). There was a hot tub available too.

The only thing I wasn't impressed with was the service. The check-in was ok, but the clerk wasn't incredibly welcoming. We were not given any information about the services at the hotel, etc. The gentlemen working for the valet service were worse: we asked about a luggage cart and were pointed in the direction. Not one of the 3 men asked if we would like help with our luggage (yes, we may have declined, but it would have been nice to have the offer!) Our two girls pushed the filled luggage cart into the driveway and had to maneuver the cart between two parked cars. Instead of helping direct the cart between the cars, the employees just watched them. Very odd, given that they almost clipped the back of one of the cars!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank CM Family

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. While you indicated that your overall expereince was satisfactory I am nonetheless disappointed that we fell short or expectations on several points of service. I have taken your words and met with the appropriate team leaders to properly address. I do apologize for the less than stellar service that you certainly can expect from us.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

My sister invited me on a weekend. The hotel is beautiful. From the min. you drive in for valet parking your experiance is wonderful everyone was so nice. Our room was just lovely I sleep like a Queen. The food is awesome, breakfast every morning was my favorite the best omlet ever. It was right in the perfect place to walk to just about anywhere you wanted to go. The Staff is so helpful and kind. would love to go again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Adelia M

So wonderful to read that you and your sister had such a fabulous experience. "Girls' getaways" or retreats are becoming more and more popular. Such a great way to share memories, explore the city, or just relax and indulge in great cuisine. Thank you for the very kind words about Casa Monica, the dining, and the service. Please come back again soon and do it again.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

In Nov 2012 I wrote a review regarding what I encountered when I was making reservations for this hotel. Anthony, the General Manager, responded to my review and the confusion was cleared up and I made the reservation for our end of Feb stay at St Augustine. Thank you Anthony. As far as location--I don't think you can beat it. Last time we stayed in St Augustine we stayed by the water. That was nice but I really do think this location is more centrally located. As far as the hotel--We stayed in room 403 and it was very convenient to the elevators. We never heard a sound outside our room so don't feel you have to stay away from the elevators. We had a lunch and breakfast at the restaurant. Both were very enjoyable for both the quality of the food and the staff. We also found these meals reasonably priced. The hotel public areas and the rooms are beautiful. Our room had 2 beds with a very comfortable chair and ottoman. Although I must admit I preferred the "desk chair". I want one for my home! Sorry, got off track. The bathroom has plenty of counter space with a large shower. There is a fee for valet parking that is high especially since I never took my car out until the time I checked out. There are cheaper hotels and B&Bs in St Augustine so you have to decide what you want. I travel about once a year and I like convenience with a bit of pampering. The Casa Monica does that.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Thank you very much for sharing and I sincerely appreciate your comments. While we love for all to go perfectly I am happy that I was able to address your reservation issues and the end result was a wonderful experience. My wife would never forgive me if I didnt take care of our visitors from Maryland (she is a native). I want to thank you for allowing our trip advisor readers to share in your experience. Please visit again soon.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Just spent three nights here and could find absolutely nothing to complain about, from the valet parking to the helpful front desk to the barman (PJ) the service was excellent, friendly and spot on. One small suggestion include wifi as a courtesy to your guests....at nearly a thousand dollars for the three nights including valet car service I thought it poor form to nickle and dime us for an extra fee for not so fast Internet service....On a happier note the Lightner Museum next door is a treat!

• Stayed: March 2013

Thank you so much for your review and kind words. A special note of appreciation for the mention of the service extended to you by our Grand Performers and expecially the personal mention of PJ' in our lounge. I hope you plan to visit again very soon.