“Business visit to St. Augustine”

Ranked #15 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed June 29, 2014

I was on a business trip for a week (6 nights) and looked for an affordable deal for the extended stay. I had booked online at another hotel (name withheld) which offered a great deal (I have stayed at that chain previously at other cities so knew what to expect). But the experience was not pleasant. So after 2 nights, I booked at Best Western (historic district) at St. Augustine, (Main reason to book: COSTCO partners with this chain and I have immense faith in COSTCO quality!) Overall experience was good... Room: Clean and comfortable Amenities in the room: Good and in working condition (except the iron which seemed to warm up at best!). Staff: Courteous and helpful, Breakfast: OK - could be better I think Price: A bit on the higher side (i.e. does not feel like you got a great deal at the end of it)

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank 934smitaj
Tom L, General Manager at Best Western Historical Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2014

Thank you for your response. It is nice to hear you had a nice stay with us. It is our goal to make your stay a pleasurable one and we are glad it was.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Best Western Historical Inn for 3 nights. We booked this hotel because of it's location, free breakfast and wifi, and Best Western Rewards.

Pros:

THE STAFF: VERY friendly, and very accommodating. We arrived 3 hours prior to check-in and the lady behind the desk was able to pre-check-in and also gave us suggestions of things we could do in the area while we were waiting for our room to be available.

THE HOTEL: This hotel is very quiet, despite being located off a popular road. My husband and I also enjoyed the free wifi and breakfast every morning. The bed was extremely comfortable and the hotel offered a wide variety of TV channels.

Cons:

LOCATION: Despite being labeled in the "historic" part of St. Augustine, I would say this hotel is more on the outskirts of it. Everything we wanted to see (Fountain of Youth, Castillo de San Marcos, Vilano Beach) was at least a mile away. Please keep this in mind if you're traveling here and not renting a car. There is a trolley that will pick you up at the hotel and take you around to the sites for a fee.

THE HOTEL: It was very obvious that this is an old hotel. The room was clean but the outside of the hotel is very rundown. The door to our room was discolored and very scratched. The AC didn't work in the bathroom, so it was hot and smelled musty. The dining area was very small, so most mornings we took our food back to our room.

Overall, I appreciated the friendliness of the staff at Best Western Historical Inn, but next time I stay in St. Augustine, I will probably spend the extra money and stay at a different hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tina S
Tom L, General Manager at Best Western Historical Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

I hope you will give us another chance to win you business.

Reviewed June 14, 2014

I took a group of kids to stay at the Bet Western Historical Inn as part of our summer camp experience. The rooms were not in the best condition - I found a used condom next to my bed, some of the kids found clothing left behind by earlier guests in various drawers in their rooms, and the toilet in my room rocked back and forth whenever I tried to use it. One of my colleagues stated that his toilet would randomly flush every hour. In addition, one of my colleagues was locked out of his hotel room because the electronic lock system malfunctioned. This happened around 8 p.m. The hotel was unable to give him access to his room until around 9 a.m. the next morning. He did not have access to any of his belongings for over 12 hours!!! They were able to put him in another hotel room, but what if the hotel would've been full? Where would they have put him then? It was also a HUGE inconvenience for him to not have access to his belongings for the night as well. In addition, the next morning the "engineer" that came to troubleshoot the electronic lock appeared completely uneducated about what to do. It's definitely the blind leading the blind. Also, the entire hotel just appears sleepy and in desperate need of a renovation. The price was cheap though so I guess we go what we paid for? Finally, this hotel was also very far from major attractions in the city. I would not have stayed here unless it was for work.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Best Western Historical Inn I appreciate your taking the time to write this review. Your input is important to me and the staff here at Best Western. We are constantly looking at ways to improve our hotel to enhance our guest experience

Reviewed June 9, 2014

* Convenient location * Close to historic district * Friendly staff * Terrific price/value * Good continental breakfast with eggs, pancakes, cereal, yogurt, waffles, juice and more * We enjoyed our one-night stay at the Best Western Historical Inn in Saint Augustine, FL

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Sunny G

Reviewed June 8, 2014

My husband selected St. Augustine, Florida for a trip to celebrate our 49th wedding anniversary since I had never been there. We enjoyed all aspects of the trip. The weather was hot but beautiful. The room was a typical hotel room but was clean & had all we needed.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 6, 2014

Our family of 4 stayed here for a weekend trip to St Augustine. The rooms were good, no major complaints. It is an old building so they did the best they could space wise, I read a lot of reviews about how small the rooms were and it worried me. But we were fine, it was a tight space but nothing that would ruin your stay. Small rooms or not, you cant beat the location! PERFECT! Very close to at least 3-5 trolley stops, across the street from Ripley's and a 5 minute walk to the fort and city gates. We had dinner at the restaurant next door (which I will review as well) and made good use of the mini fridge & microwave in the room. Also they serve breakfast on certain days and it was great. My kids loved everything they offered and that was an added bonus!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed June 2, 2014

Very good property for its age. Well kept, clean. Friendly, courteous, and helpful staff. Well located as to access to the historical venues we wanted to visit. Recommendations for dining, etc., were excellent. Stay at this property was enjoyable primarily due to staff's involvement. The sightseeing company associated with the hotel was very professional, the equipment was in good order, and the drivers were knowledgeable. I would stay at this property if the opportunity to visit St. Augustine presents itself in the future.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Tom L, General Manager at Best Western Historical Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2014