“Excellent hotel!”

Best Western Historical Inn
Ranked #21 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed July 28, 2013

My father and I stayed at this hotel in September 2012. We had a great stay then, other than a few complaints:
-We couldn't figure out how to work the TV, so we called guest service, and they said they would send someone over. 30 minutes later, we call them back. We tell them we had asked for someone to come, but no one came. They sent someone over within five minutes after hanging up.
-No pool.
-Far away (four miles) from downtown St. Augustine, which I guess is our problem, since there are plenty of hotels closer.
-Not a complaint: Very clean!

That's it. Other than that, we had a great stay! :D

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor, which worked out good.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Bob K, General Manager at Best Western Historical Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I believe that you wrote your review for the wrong Best Western. We are only 1.5 miles from the center of the historical district, and we have a very nice outdoor pool and hot tub. The hotel you described sounds like the Best Western located near the interstate. In any event thanks for choosing Best Western.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Historical Inn

Reviewed July 20, 2013

This facility is quite close to historic St. Augustine, hence the name. This hotel can be accessed via two parallel streets, offering the traveler easy navigation in and out. The rooms are standard sized, appearing to been recently updated, with all the standard amenities. Our particualr room, just had the carpets cleaned, leaving a musty odor. The difficulties are parking arrangements; the collective lot is shared by a rival hotel, forcing late arriving tenants to park on the on-ramp to the facility. The dining area is quaint, offering a comfortable area. Front staff members were accommodating, but reserved in their efforts.

Room Tip: In short, good for the price, will choose next door the next visit.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I am happy you had a comftorable stay with us, but I am concerned about the musty smell in your room. I apologize for your inconvienence, and would like to extend an invitation for you to inspect the room first the next time you are in town. Thanks again for your review.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

For the most part inexpensive, nice and most importantly it was clean. Parking a little bit of an issue if you came back late. Breakfast wasn't much to rave about. Not directly near the historic district but easy enough to get to and from. It has direct TV so if the weather is bad and you decide to stay in don't plan on watching TV. Would stay there again? Yes

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. The title of your review says it all. We believe in providing ultra clean rooms, together with great customer service to provide a great guest experience for each guest. I am very happy you will return to stay with us in the future.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

We arrived at the Best Western Historical Inn and found the hotel in a good location, it was clean.

The staff we helpful and we received good customer service on advising us on where we should go and visit whilst in Saint Augustine.

The breakfast was good value and I would recommend this hotel if you are looking for a comfortable place to stay for a night.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Bob K, General Manager at Best Western Historical Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. It's good to hear our staff was helpful and accomodating. Our goal is to provide a clean, comfortable room with friendly service for every guest, every time. If you ever find yourself in St. Augustine again, I would be honored if you would stay with us.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

I will start with the good points, only a few. Beds were very comfortable , and air conditioner worked very good. The motel was in a good part of town, close to places to eat, and Wal Mart. Pool was very small , but still nice. We were told there would be fridge n microwave, there was NO microwave. I have never stayed in a Best Western without a microwave. The staff was terrible, had to fight with the older lady who checked us in the first night, she didn't want to honor rate we were given from calling 800 reservations. We had planned on staying 2 more nights but Bob, the manager didn't want to honor the $101 rate we were given, even though I had the email confirmation with that price. We will not stay at this best western again when we go back in August.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Sllawrence
Bob K, General Manager at Best Western Historical Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Best Western Historical Inn. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Unfortunately, none of our guestrooms have microwaves at this time, and I am very sorry and shocked that someone here would tell you that we did. I would also like to apologize regarding your room rate issue, and the service you were given. We pride ourselves on ultra clean rooms, and superior customer service. When we fail to deliver on those principles, it pains me greatly. I worked the front desk the week you were here, and it was my understanding you were paying day by day. I had great conversations with your husband every morning at breakfast, and he would tell me if you were paying by cash or credit card for each day. I had no idea you had a confirmation for a different rate on the weekend, as you were do to checkout on Friday.
I would like to take this opportunity to ask for you to reconsider, and give us another try. If you contact me personally, I will take good care of you.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

We didn't bother to reserve a room in advance. Oops. So we ended up paying $130 for a room with double beds. We actually called the 800 number and they told us when we booked this was across the street from the beach-which is why we agreed to the $130. It is NOT on the beach. It's on the river. I was annoyed but I was also tired of looking for a room. Online the rooms away from the beaches were averaging $89 for two queen beds so they up-charge quite if you don't reserve in advance-that's everywhere. It was clean enough although the drawers needed to be wiped out. We didn't use them. The pool had a bit of algae on the bottom but not terrible. The free breakfast was small but very well planned with good quality tasty items. The WIFI signal at our room was weak. Our kindle was able to stay connected but our phones couldn't. The thermostat is not accurate. It was set at 65 but we had to sleep under just the sheet to stay comfortable. It wasn't warm but just not as cool as we would have liked. If you wish to save money on parking in the old town area you will want a room closer to that area. That by itself will save you $10 a day.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Best Western Historical Inn. I am sorry you were misinformed about our location. We are located 1.25 miles from the center of the historical district on the northern edge. Definitely not near a beach or river. Thanks again for your review, and I hope you will consider us again on your next trip to St. Augustine.

Sincerely.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Inn was clean in all aspects, quiet providing your room is not right on US1 (ponce de leon blvd).
Excellent breakfast with the only deficiency of this hotel being its small dining area, only 4 tables for all guests using the breakfast options, which were more than sufficient. Management was helpful with every request. Located one block from San Carlo which goes directly into downtown historic area.

Room Tip: rooms in rear were more quiet, some rooms have ac operated by a wall thermostat so unit does not ru...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write review of the Best Western Historical Inn. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope you return soon, and give us a chance to earn that fifth star. Thanks again!!!