“Keep Driving!”

Best Western St. Augustine I-95
Ranked #46 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Too tired to continue driving home from a trip to GA on south I-95. I just wanted a place to sleep! As a Best Western Diamond Reward member I obviously trust the brand. Any time I pay that high of a price for a room I expect to get above minimum quality. That is not the case at this hotel. Check out the rust in the sink (See picture)

For a $100 (+/-) a night I would expect the internet service to work and the owners NOT to select the MINIMUM breakfast standard tier level choice that Best Western brand offers! (Says a lot about what thier real focus is!) The room also reeked of that musty mildew odor that undisinfected, unkempt resort area hotels frequently have!

All said and done... if this is a destination stop for you, then you might find this hotel meeting your minimum standards... if you have any.

If however, you are just passing by and only need a place to stop and rest... KEEP DRIVING! Just a little farther in either direction you could find a hotel with upgraded quality at a price at least 1/3 or better than the extortion rate of this resort wanna-be!

As "Dory" from "Finding Nemo" would say... "Just keep driving, driving, driving... Just keep driving, driving, driving!!!!!!!!!!"

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Christopher H
There are newer reviews for Best Western St. Augustine I-95

Reviewed April 21, 2013

The hotel is in an excellent location. Lots Of places to eat close by, an outlet mall around the corner, an arcade & entertainment park at 3 min from the hotel. Maybe 8-10 min from downtown. Very good continental breakfast with warm food, not only pastries. Clean pool. Fitness center. The bad? Damn solid rock pillows! Tub was not cleaned before receiving us. Complimentary ice buckets had no lid. Floor light did not work. BUT.... The staff was wonderful. That made my Day. On value for money... Around a 3 on 1 to 5 scale.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank lindalugo
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Check in was a breeze and the rooms were very clean. The children enjoyed the pool while the adults kicked back under the umbrella. The tourist attractions aren't too far. The beach was about a 20 minute drive. The price difference made the drive worth it. The young man in the breakfast area was diligent with keeping the area clean and stocked. His efforts were appreciated.

The only drawback was the noise from I95 which can't really be fixed unless some kind of sound proofing is installed.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Vie C
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed a couple nights while in town for a BMX track meet.

This is an old-style 2 story property where many of the rooms on the first floor can be only a couple of steps from your car. A lot of folks like it that way, but security-wise it can have its downside. Privacy can also be compromised. That being said, there were also a few rough edges in terms of upkeep and amenities.

Our second-floor pool-view room was a designated nonsmoking room, but on several occasions there were strong tobacco smells near the vanity and bathroom area. Our assumption is that somehow the toilet exhaust fan of the unit below was blowing whiffs of smoke into our unit, perhaps because it communicated with our exhaust fan, or perhaps through the power outlets.

The clock-radio in the room didn't work, constantly displaying what I'll call "1 right angle colon L 7." The TV came with a "fresh remote" in a bag, but the remote communicated with a small box attached to the set, not the set itself and thus could not adjust the sound volume.

The card key entry system always required a second insertion. If a guest was being pursued by an attacker, this would be deadly, not just an inconvenience. The metal door frame by the lock was bent and had clearly been pried open forcefully at some time during the motel's history.

Another safety hazard was the bathroom sink: it's faucet's "red and blue" told the wrong story about which side the lever needed to be on for hot and cold--and shouldn't the convention always be "left is hot" and "right is cold"? Not here. Right was hot and left was cold.

The A/C kept the room cold, but did not provide fresh air from outside--the room became stuffy and we had to leave the door open a few minutes to air it out.

The pool was in OK shape except for the dark blue tiles along the edge, which had accumulated enough lime scale (easily eliminated with an acidic cleaning solution) for the teens who had used the pool to graffitize it with hand rubbed messages of the "wash me" type seen on filthy cars.

A once-majestic spreading tree between the pool and the building is dying to the point of only have a handful of branches sporting green leaves (and no buds elsewhere)--it's mostly scraggly moss. In its heyday it was good enough to have two large ground-mounted flood lights aimed at it. Now it's just a sign that management isn't pro-active about the landscaping.

The neighboring room was occupied by adolescent baseball players without an adult in the room. Management had to be called to bring in the adults to quiet them down.

Ice machines were convenient, newish and clean; however the small ice-bucket we were given was brittle with age and it broke in my hand when held by one corner.

As we left the unit on Sunday morning, there was a large plastic trash container at the bottom of the stairs, and it was severely overflowing with trash beginning to accumulate around it.

Room Tip: Our nonsmoking room did not provide full exclusion of tobacco. You might want to ask if neighboring...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank flacorps
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a busy, touristy area, so the hotel rates are on the expensive side. Ordinarily, I would consider this hotel expensive for what you get, but for the area, it is probably OK.

On the plus side, the staff was accommodating and friendly, and the room was in good condition with adequate light and space. The hotel is close to restaurants and two outlet malls.

On the downside, this is really a MOtel, with exterior doors and outside walls that don't insulate much against noise. And there is a lot of that; from the parking lot, nearby roads, and other businesses. It is also difficult to enter and exit the parking lot, as it is very close to a busy intersection with a poorly designed traffic pattern.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near stairs.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank M T
Jane P, Manager at Best Western St. Augustine I-95, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

I would like to thank you for staying with us and giving your review of your stay with us. We value your opinion, it helps us better serve our guests.

Thanks,
Jane

Reviewed March 29, 2013

I tried to take a shower and it didn't work at all. I requested a fair refund of $20 and they refused because I had paid cash for the room. It was too late to switch rooms. I will never stay at this Best Western again. The price of $100 a night was way too much for this motel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank carol D
Jane P, Manager at Best Western St. Augustine I-95, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

I want to thank you for letting us know about your stay. We have looked in to your complaint but we can not find any complaints/problem at all in our log book. Every issue that is reported at the desk by guest or staff is logged in the book so we can address it. We have been running nearly full house recently, unfortunately we don't have any records and no one else has reported any problem. We would like to know what room you stayed in so we can check in to the problem. I can be reached at 904-829-1999.

Thanks,