“Bad expirirnce”

Ranked #46 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Chicago, Illinois, USA
“Bad expirirnce”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Heat in my room did not work. When I wanted to call to the desk I saw that was no thelephone in the room (which suppose to be). When I went to the lobby desk -(other side of parking lot) , main door was locked so I had to knock to small window and wake up the desk clark. When I asked him about the heat ,he said he can not help me because he is not maintenace man so I had to sleep in pents and sweater. Main door was locked all night and when I wanted take some maps and brochures in the morning I could not get in the lobby even 6:50am (desk clark said door should be locked).
Volume on TV remote control did not work. I had reservation in the same hotel (3 days later )but I canceled after such "great" experince.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Jane P, Manager at Best Western St. Augustine I-95, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
I want to thank you for taking time to let us know about your stay. Sorry to learn that you were disappointed but want to let you that we have addressed your problem with our front desk and head house keeping staff to prevent the problem in future. Once again thank you and want to apologize on behalf of my staff.

Jane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Location is right at I-95 and SR 16, so quite convenient as far as quick access is concerned, but be prepared for about a 12-15 minute drive to down town St. Augustine. But considering the much higher rates of the down town hotels, we felt the drive was worth it.
The hotel itself is really more of a motel - 2 levels or rooms with outside corridors and parking right outside the door. On the plus side, the room was very clean, spacious, nicely furnished and had an fairly new bathroom(and good water pressure in the shower) and a comfortable bed. The young lady at check-in was really pleasant and some of the other staff gave a smile in passing.
Unfortunately, there were also some negatives: breakfast was very poor in comparison with many other breakfasts we've had at similar hotels. We arrived with about 30 minutes left in the breakfast time and found only one small yogurt cup left (and it was never replenished). There was no cream cheese or peanut butter (or any other protein except some hard boiled eggs), no bagels and no hot cereal. There was the standard waffle maker, so if you don't care much about a healthy start to your day, this is just right. In fairness there was raisin bran. To top it off, in contrast to the nice check-in lady, the attendant was surly and clearly not trained in customer service.
The other negative was minor, but easy to fix: the towels were awfully thin and so rough that you had to be careful when drying your face that you didn't scratch your cheek.
So, fix the breakfast, the towels and the breakfast attendant, and I would rate this as above average or even excellent and over all, it's still a decent value.

Room Tip: Avoid the ends near the stairs since people dragging their luggage up or down is quite noisy.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank aptorontoguy1
Thank you for letting us know about your stay. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for taking time to write your experience at our hotel. We have talked to the breakfast staff to make sure they provide great customer service. We are also working on making the room bigger so we can add more varieties. Hope to see you again for another enjoyable stay.

Florida
Reviewed January 19, 2013

This hotel is on the same exit as the Outlet Mall in St Augustine. You have several fast food restaurants in the area so food is no problem. It is an older hotel but still is pretty good shape. They also have a pool but I was not there long enough to go it but the water looked good and clean. Checking is was a good experience and quick, but when I went in to get more amenities the desk clerk was being very rude to a gentleman asking about breakfast. So bring what you need for the room because they only have small soap and one shampoo in the room and do not like giving out extra for people like me with very long hair and they do not provide conditioner. Breakfast is all cold except for the waffles. They have cereal, toast, strudels, boiled eggs (in the fridge), yogurt, hot tea,, and coffee. My experience was mostly good, I just witnessed bad behavior by the desk clerk and the gentleman helping out in the breakfast room (which is very small so the line went outside the door). Bring ear plugs because it is right off of the expressway so there is a lot of outside noise, and in the mornings kids and people walking by the rooms can be heard very well.

Room Tip: Bring tour own amenities, and ear plugs. This is close to the expressway so it is very noisy.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking time to write your experience at our hotel. I am sorry to learn that you were disappointed with our desk agent but I want to assure you that we have talked to all our staff and retrain them with customer service. Hope to see you again for another enjoyable stay.

Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Very comfortable and clean room. Decent breakfast at this price point, escpecially after the boiled eggs appeared to supplement the high carb options. Bed was the most comfortable of six hotels I stayed at during my vacation. Very helpful and professional staff. Not the easiest to get too after exiting the interstate. Easy to miss.

Room Tip: Mine was excellent (120), on the inside, facing the pool, but close to parking, ice and vending. Qu...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for letting us know about your stay. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for taking time to write your experience at our hotel. Hope to see you again for another enjoyable stay.

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Stayed here for one night and will never stay here again. Room was relatively clean but that was about the only good thing I have to say about this place. Walls are paper-thin, mattress was ridiculously firm. We were all the way at the back of the motel by the dumpster and the company came about 3AM to empty the dumpster. They must have woken everyone on that side of the motel.. it was ridiculously loud, especially considering they were right outside of a motel with people trying to sleep. I said something to the front desk staff in the morning and they had nothing to say, not "sorry", not "oh really", nothing. Stayed in the Wingate by Wyndham the next time I was in St. Augustine and it was DEFINITELY worth the 30 extra bucks. Will not make this mistake again.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, absolutely request something near the front.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these St. Augustine hotels

Clayton, North Carolina
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Stayed for three days starting on 12/26/12. Stayed in a very clean "king non-smoking room" poolside. The breakfast was like all the others in these type of hotels but hit the spot. Breakfast room was small for the amount of people staying there, but the food was well stocked and attended too by staff. Clerk at front desk was very friendly. Vending and ice machines were well stocked. Hotel very close to many restaurants and the Outlet Mall and you can walk to Ruby Tuesday if you need to have a cocktail or walk to Denny's for dinner. Access to the hotel property is a little tricky from the main road, but for the price it seemed irrelevent. Hotel has fitness room but one of the machines was not working, the other two machines were fine. I will recommend this hotel to anyone for the price I paid.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo