“Average for the price”

Best Western St. Augustine I-95
Ranked #46 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed June 15, 2012

This hotel is handy to the highway and premium outlets across the road. There are fast food restaurants handy in the central hub of hotels in this loaction.The historic area of St Augustine is a short drive away from the hotel.
The Best Western is average for the price you pay. An older style motel where you can park your car outside your room. There is an outside balcony running the length of the hotel and a central exterior stairwell, which can be noisy with people carrying bags up and down. The swimming pool is located in a spacious area at the rear of the hotel.
The breakfast room is far too small for a motel this size. We saw people eating standing up as there were insufficient tables.
The bathroom is very small, but again, this is a low cost hotel, so I consider it ok.

Room Tip: Away from the stairs.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 4, 2012

For the price,you can't beat it. We got a price of $48 a nite from expedia. Since we are on the way north, it is a convenient stop off 95. The lady at the front desk was very polite and helpful- we had dinner at Ruby Tuesdays- very nice and an excellent waitress. Our room is spotless and well equipped with a coffe machine,ironing board and iron(not that i will use it!)

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Had a very good stay at this hotel. We were there for only one night on our way to Orlando.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 12, 2012

I made reservations for traveling north using my points. The hotel has been recently remodeled and I have to say the first time I saw new CLEAN carpet in a hotel room. The rooms are large and comfortable but if I were to stay more than a night, I would want a Micro/Fridge and Flat Screen TV instead of the old box. Very clean and very comfortable King Bed. A great find in St. Augustine. The continental breakfast is typical for BW and there was an attendant keeping things fresh and moving including the great coffee.

Room Tip: As for a King Room for the best bed.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Dora at the front desk was so nice and helpful, had a smile on her face and made us feel very welcome. Rooms were clean and the bed was comfortable (you get 4 pillows!) Wish there was a mini fridge in the room for leftovers. You are in St. Augustine for the sites and just need a simple room to come back to that is clean and comfortable, this is your place. Shuttle service to the historic district and they provide a good continental breakfast. Great value for the money.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Me and my family were traveling to St. Augustine, and we were trying to find an at least decent hotel for a good price. In St. Augustine, most of the hotels are really low-grade, and if not, they are really expensive. We settled for this hotel, because the price was pretty good (around $85 for a two-queen standard room), thinking it would not be that nice of a stay.

The hotel is located on a main road that is pretty close to the center of St. Augustine. Right next to it is Taco Bell, and from walking distance is Denny's, Ruby Tuesday, and Cracker Barrel.
When we first arrived to the entrance of the hotel, the building was... decent. It wasn't luxury but it looked clean, well-maintained, and safe on the outside. The lobby is small, but actually surprisingly nice. It has a little shelf with brochures and information pamphlets about different attractions and activities in St. Augustine. Check-in was pretty fast and easy, but the lady that checked us in was not the nicest. She wasn't rude.. but she seemed forced into doing her job and looked like she did not want to be there. She did, however, answer our questions about where our room was and about internet (which is free, by the way, and worked fine). She just could have been more pleasant. The guy at checkout was a little more pleasant.

One thing that bothers me is when a hotel's room entrances are outside. I prefer when they are inside an enclosed hallway, so it is safer and more private. So that kinda worried me, but it seemed safe and it was fine.

When we entered the room, I was honestly so pleasantly surprised. After reading a previous review, I had an irrational fear of smelling smoke in the room (which of course was non-smoking), but it didn't. Upon check-in, you have to sign a paper that says you won't smoke, and if you do, you will be charged a fine of I think $150. The room was super clean, the carpets were vacuumed, the beds were made and clean, the bathroom was clean, the shower was totally clean, the room was just surprisingly spotless. The TV worked fine, as well as the free internet. The AC worked, but at times it didn't cool very well... turns out you need to set it lower than you really want it to be and it's fine. The beds are pretty firm, which for me is really comfortable, but it depends on your personal preferences, of course. There was coffee included in the room, but it was watery and not tasty. The room also had hangers, a clothes iron, and a hair dryer. My room faced the pool so the view was pretty nice.

The pool was... okay. Not bad. I think the most shallow is somewhere from 3-4 feet and the deep end goes up to 8 feet. I didn't swim, but the water seemed clean, and the deck had clean plastic chairs and some plastic deck chairs that you lay down on, and a few tables with umbrellas. Nothing fancy, but it was clean.

There is a small fitness room as well. I didn't go in, but I saw it and it looked pretty nice. It is a bit small, but it should be fine for your fitness needs at a short hotel stay.

Breakfast... the worst part about this hotel. This needs most improvement. The breakfast room was pretty nice, a long table with food and some separate chairs and tables for seating and eating. Breakfast is from I believe 6:30 a.m to 9:30 pm. There is a worker standing at the food table the whole time, watching the guests and cleaning, and occasionally coming back to dump more food into the containers. When I went to get some food, I accidentally dropped the serving spoon, so he came over to rinse it in the sink, which was nice, but the way he rudely did so made me feel guilty and uncomfortable. He also looked at us with a rude look as we ate, and you could tell he did not like his job. The food was, in one word, disappointing. I completely understand that this is an affordable hotel, so the breakfast can't be gourmet, but they really should improve their choices. Basically, what they had was artificial,sugary cereals, milk, eggs, canned peaches, baked things such as raisin toast and biscuits, instant grits in little packs, a waffle maker machine, some little jelly packs, a grey-colored, salty 'gravy' from a huge can, real apples, and apple and orange juice. All that I had was two biscuits, some canned peaches and some apple juice. I was not happy with the food. The cereals were cheap, artificial, sugary, unhealthy kinds, the peaches were just dumped from a can, and the baked goods were poor quality. Although I enjoyed the biscuits, I could tell it was made with a fake artificial dough riser, which did affect the taste slightly. The baked goods should be bought from a better source, or even maybe freshly baked in the hotel. There was this weird, literally gray gravy thing in a little container, and when it was out of it, the man came over with a huge can of this 'gravy' mixture and just slopped it into the container. He didn't even try to hide the fact that it came from a can. Overall, I think if they have better cereal choices, improved their baked goods, possibly added some bacon or sausage to the menu, as well as some potatoes and other vegetables (even a mixture of various canned veggies!) and improved their breakfast staff it would be a lot better.
Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with this hotel. If they improve their breakfast, it would probably get 5 stars from me. I do recommend this hotel, and I would come again if I am ever in the area.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Zuzanna S
Reviewed April 22, 2012

We got a very good online deal (60 per night). Very good place to stay on the road. Very good location near gas stations and a Cracker Barrel restaurant.
They have a decent pool and a very safe atmosphere. I strongly reccomend you to catch a last minute offer. You will save a lot

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple