“Good,basic value”

Ranked #46 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Sarasota, Florida
“Good,basic value”
Reviewed June 17, 2011

This property has been nicely updated just like the pictures show. We were greeted promptly at check in and the process was quick. We were very pleased with our room and the updated furnishings, comfortable beds/pillows and flat screen tv. The swimming pool is in very good shape and well kept. It is evident that the management has invested in an older property to bring it up to date. The only issue we faced was the free breakfast. The first morning the supply delivery must have been late because there was no juice, syrup or fruit available. We left to go to the Denny's next door and saw that the food service truck was unloading near check-in. The next day we figured we would try again and everything was in order except no syrup for the waffles. We were checking out anyways and decided to go out to breakfast again. Hopefully the management can get the breakfast supply issue fixed as this was the only thing that was not up to par.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Gainesville, Georgia
Reviewed June 15, 2011

My wife and I booked this room as a part of a weekend getaway to St. Augustine. The other hotels within the downtown/historic distric were almost double what we paid for this room. For such a low rate we were pleasantly surprised by the excellent customer service of the hotel staff. Our rooms were clean, the bed was very comfortable, and the continental breakfast was adequate.
It is an easy 10 minute drive to historic St. Augustine and beaches and in close proximity to a variety of restaurants. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Portageville, Missouri
Reviewed April 27, 2011

My wife and i stayed here from april 21 till april 25 and it was not worth the money we payed for it. The first morning we were there we were waiting for a shuttle and the manager was yelling at a maid for about 10 min infront of us. Through our stayed we noticed that there was caulk coming off the bathroom tub and some of it was black and when you walked around barefoot your feet would turn black from the carpet. We didnt want to say anything till we checked out for we were affraid that something would come up missing while we were gone during the day or something else. The odd thing is that the sign out front says newly remodeled. I would not recomend this hotel.

Room Tip: None of the rooms were worth staying in
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bigred74
BWSaintAugustine, Manager at Best Western St. Augustine I-95, responded to this review, May 17, 2011
We here at the Best Western @ Saint Augustine always try to put our best foot forward, and we apologize that during your recent visit we were unable to do that.. We did, however, comp your entire stay in effort to reimburse you for your inconvenience.
Our goal is to ensure the satisfaction of all our guests, and in this case we dropped the ball. Every day is an effort to improve, and our management and staff are very passionate about our desire to do so. I cannot excuse an argument between co-workers in public areas, though it is refreshing to see from time to time that level of dedication to quality,
We do look forward to having another opportunity to serve you in the future.

AGM

Travelers are raving about these St. Augustine hotels

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed April 23, 2011

The breakfast was the main disappointment of the hotel. We could only spend a few minutes in that tiny dark room before we left with no breakfast. Besides that the tvs need to be updated. Hotel rooms were average but clean with updated beds and fixtures. Would be a great value but with the poor breakfast the rooms should really be in the $70-80 range.

• Stayed April 2011
BWSaintAugustine, Manager at Best Western St. Augustine I-95, responded to this review, April 28, 2011
Thank you for your feedback!
I wanted to apologize for not being able to get to you the items from our breakfast that you wanted. We do staff the breakfast area so during your next visit be sure to see our attendant so that you may be served even when it is very busy.
We never want to turn away guests due to volume of participation during breakfast hours, but if you time your visit right, it can be crowded, which is why we attend the breakfast to ensure our guests have an opportunity to enjoy it.
We are working to expand our breakfast, and anticipate adding more hot items in the very near future!
Our current menu:
Cereals
Toast
Raisin Toast
Oatmeal

If we can be of any assistance please dont hesitate to call us.

Manager
Wolfville, Nova Scotia
Reviewed March 28, 2011

My wife and I had traveled to Saint Augustine from Orlando to attend a wedding there in February and had reserved ahead of time. As with most hotels/motels we realized that we probably couldn't check in til 3 o'clock so when we arrived at 2:45 pm the front desk clerk informed us we would have to come back as our room wasn't quite ready. No problem with that, so we went and drove around the area and came back an hour later at 3:45 pm only to be told the room still wasn't ready. I said fine and asked if there were any other rooms available as we had to get ready to go to the wedding. After much humming and pausing, the clerk finally came up with another room about five minutes later after calling someone (probably the head housekeeper). Great, so we finally had a room, so off we went to find our room. When we arrived at the room, the head housekeeper told us the room wasn't ready and that she would have to put us in another room. Okay, we were fine with that, but just get us another room key so we can get in. Well, then I noticed the new room was beside a set of stairs leading to the second level of rooms and I said to the head housekeeper that I didn't want to be next to the stairs because of the noise from people going up and down. The head housekeeper then assured me that the noise from the stairs couldn't be heard in the room, so I agreed to take the room on her assurance. In hindsight, I should have stuck to my guns and insisted on another room, but my wife and I just wanted to get settled in order to get ready to attend the wedding. Needless to say, later that night/morning when my wife and I had returned from the wedding we regretted being in that room due to the noise from people going up and down the stairs. I'm not one to complain, so when I do it is usually because someone has wronged me or mislead me ,and this is, I believe, the case in this situation. I didn't complain to the front desk staff when we left as we were in a rush to get on the road to head to Orlando. We will not stay at this hotel again for the above reasons and we will not recommend it to anyone we know.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
BWSaintAugustine, Manager at Best Western St. Augustine I-95, responded to this review, March 31, 2011
Thank you for your feedback!
First, let me apologize for our delay in getting you into your room, we were at full capacity with half of our regular staff present, which caused some delay in handing the enormous check-in volume. We were able to quickly place 99% of our arriving guests that afternoon, but unfortunately were faced with a scenario where guests were arriving at a faster rate than we could get our rooms ready for them.
At the Best Western @ Saint Augustine we acknowledge our responsibility in these matters, and constantly focus on improving, We have since implemented measures to ensure any future delays at arrival are kept to an absolute minimum, and hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

AGM
South Florida
Reviewed March 24, 2011

I stayed at this hotel this past weekend 3/18 - 3/20 and was pleasantly surprised. The front desk clerk was very nice and our room was very clean. When we got to the room the first thing we did was check for bed bugs (since I had seen a review about bed bugs). The mattresses were brand new!!! During our first morning there the kid that handles the breakfast area was very nice to us, his name is Gerald. He even gave us a map of St. Augustine and gave us tips as to where to park (all day parking for one price instead of paying by the hour). He even told us how to get to that parking lot. We did not have to go to the front desk to get that information!

The only problem we had is that the a/c would run all night without stopping and our room was freezing cold...but we did not notify the staff about this problem until we were checking out because we were only in the room to sleep at night so what we did is that we used the blankets. I am sure if we would have notified the staff they would have changed us from the room we were in.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback!
It is rewarding to hear when we make a positive impact on our guests visit to Saint Augustine.

We hope to see you again!

Jesup, Georgia
Reviewed March 23, 2011

I read a lot of reviews before booking this hotel as I'm kinda picky. Wasn't looking for anything fancy since my husband and I didn't plan on being in the room that much, just needed somewhere to sleep. We got there about an hour before check in time, but they went ahead and let us check in early. Also, the guy at the front desk was able to recommend some nearby places to eat and he was very friendly(wish I got his name). Anyway, our room was very clean, the staff was friendly and it was a very good deal for the price we paid. I would definitely stay here in the future.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple