“Excellent Meal!!! 2 Years In A Row!!!”

Ranked #50 of 609 Restaurants in St. Augustine
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed August 29, 2008

The Purple Olive has an excellent cuisine!! The restaurant is located in a small unpretentious strip mall but don't let that fool you. Once you walk through the doors of the restaurant you know you are in a unique place. If is beautifully decorated and gives a very warm and intimate feeling. I have been seated very quickly both times I visited. They have an ample wine list to go with all entrees. The appitizers are unique and delicious. Most impressive is that all breads and sauces are homemade daily. Last year when visiting St. Augustine I had the Thai Seafood. This year I had the Seafoood Bisque soup and the Seared Scallops. Both meals were delicious and extrememly generous portions. The Purple Olive is a definite for me when in town. You will not be disappointed in this restaurant. Chef Peter and his wife are very friendly and want to make sure that you have enjoyed your meal and your visit to the Purple Olive. The personal touch isn't lost at this restaurant.

2  Thank domesticengineernga

Reviewed July 30, 2008

Location on A1A South from the Old City in a little strip mall.
Small intimate dining; excellent service and the food was wondrous. My husband and I checked this little place out after
we were told how good it was. The majority of the reviews on here are right on! Service was great; our waitress paid very good attention to us and the food was wonderful. Worth the drive from the historic district. A must-try for a special night in the Old City!

2  Thank LN
Reviewed July 24, 2008

If you're visiting the historic section of St. Augustine, the Purple Olive is quite a drive beyond the Bridge of Lions - maybe seven miles south...at least it seamed that far.

The staff are young and nice and accommodating. As for the food, it seemed that they were trying to be creative with the food but that their attempt to be upscale and 'with it' in their food creations took precedence over presenting entrees that were actually good. I thought that, being young, perhaps they had not had enough experience with good food to know the difference. Of the three of us in my group, none of us liked the food well enough to take the last half of our portions home, nor would we go back to the restaurant, and we cannot recommend it..

1  Thank Spirit
DPHStAug, owner at PURPLE OLIVE, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2008

We are so sorry you were unhappy at our restaurant. My husband and I have over 30 years combined in the restaurant industry......I don't know if that makes us young or not? Did you let your server, myself, or my husband know you were dissatisfied? We do everything in our power to assure our customers leave happy and full. We would much rather address a complaint at the time than in a situation with a poor review (such as this) after the fact, when can not correct the problem.

I do wish I knew what the 3 dishes were that you had, as we have never had a complaint on 3 dishes, ever, in the 4 years we have been in business. Normally, our customers are overly complementary of all of our dishes served. Tastes are very personal, and everyone is different. I guess we just do not please your palate.....and for that I apologize.

Reviewed July 8, 2008

Friends recommended we try the Purple Olive. By we, I mean the Smith Family Party of six for dinner. Someone in our group ate out every night at some of the top names in town and we all agreed that this was the best.

The menu has good prices and good variety. At many places, the entree gets all the attention, but here, even the side dishes were good. I had a special Seskwan (sp) fish on a bed of wild rice and veggies. The flavors all mixed together.

I got a very good recommendation on a house white (Pinot), too.

My wife talked about the Chocolate to die for dessert (I don't remember its name) all week long.

You'll find restaurants of high pretension in St Augustine, this isn't one of them. They earn their kudos at the table.

We'll be back!

4  Thank marvelgoose
Reviewed June 26, 2008

The price is good for that food...we,with my husband and daughter went there last june we try the veal marsala and the beef i forgot whats the last name and the seafood pasta..we also try the dessert which is the chocolate mousse and chocolate with pecan that theyve won in the contest..
Its a Small place that we accidentally saw on are last 2 days..we really plan to eat there but we didnt expect the location is not really high class..But the food?i give them 4 1/2 A with that..
this restaurant make my vacation more complete..
I hope and cant wait to go back next year..

3  Thank ladyann22