“Phenomenal flavors - Fantastic local find”
Review of PURPLE OLIVE

PURPLE OLIVE
Ranked #96 of 593 Restaurants in St. Augustine
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Baltimore, Maryland
“Phenomenal flavors - Fantastic local find”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Everything was fantastic. Our party had 5 different meals and all of us were raving how delicious each one was. The blend of flavors in each dish was unique. The sauces really sent it over the top. The Sesame Seared Scallops and Baby Spinach Salad were the big hits at our table. The portion sizes were so big we all left with no room for dessert - usually at places with food this good (and more expensive) the servings are much smaller.

The decor was tasteful (no pun intended) and the service was great. While the food was first class, the atmosphere was family friendly.

For the price, this food was outstanding. We have been to places that cost twice as much and the food here was just as good if not better!

Kudos to the Chef!

Denver, Colorado
“Good space, tasty food”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

If you're tired of the beach food that surrounds you south of St. Augustine and don't feel like driving into town and paying for parking, this place is a very nice respite from the chicken sandwiches and fried seafood that dominates the area. Prepare to spend $20 an entree. Our bill for three was north of $100 with a few glasses of wine. All the food was well prepared and very tasty. Would describe the environment as upscale casual (I went in nice shorts, no problem). Good place to take a group of adults looking to take it up a notch one night while on vacation.

1 Thank TJSullivan
Ozark, Alabama
“Features local art”
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Went on a Tues. nite. Ordered 2 glasses of wine and the baked brie app. Got our bread, then salad (which was great.)
All of a sudden our entrees arrived. Never got the app. No big deal, the waiter comped our second glass of wine.
would definitely go back.

Matthews, North Carolina
“Great food, restaurant, just bad night”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

3rd time MOSTLY a charm…

I LOVE the Purple Olive! Actually I think this is our 4th time… oops! Anyway… Found this on Trip Advisor and always re-post about the experience for others. First off… I DO recommend this place.. I really believe it’s the best food on the beach!

THE GOOD: They took our call ahead on a Friday night (Yay!), got in only having to wait about 10-15 minutes Max at 7:30 PM (Excellent for a Friday Night!!!) , Seated in a back table (Perfect location). Got some yummy bread delivered with a bowl of seasoning (we assumed that we were to pour the Olive Oil from the table on it… which we did). Ordered our daughters food first since things were a bit slow… and it came out without waiting too long and she LOVED IT (She ordered the kids pizza). We got some wine and were not being rushed (that is a good!) We ordered our entrée and salads. LOVE the grilled Cesar Salad… got this last time too! Our entrees did not take long and were delicious – as always!!! Decided to order dessert and it was too yummy (could put this in the bad category – ha!).

THE OK: After getting our bread basket, we asked for Balsamic Vinegar to add to the oil… it took a second request, but we finally got it. (Ironically this was an issue the last time I was in). Waiter seemed SUPER nervous, fidgety, and unsure of much! We did ask some questions and the waiter seemed unsure of himself, as well as unsure of the wine I ordered… but it was all cleared up in the end.

THE BAD: (Nobody or place is perfect…) That “perfect location”… (of our table) not so perfect when two mom’s and their 3 SUPER LOUD kids were there almost the whole time talking and whining and crying. NOT Purple Olive’s fault though… just rather annoying! Did wait quite a while before our waiter (Chris) came over… even had other wait staff asking if he had been over and were sending him… still took another 5-10 before he came over.

CONCLUSION: Bad night, GREAT food, would immediately go back, but would BEG to NOT have Chris as our server and would wait for a table NOT next to young toddlers and Moms!
In all honesty…This is a hidden gem in St. Augustine and I know every time I write in, tell people, I am telling our secret… but I REALLY want these people to continue to succeed and I want the Purple Olive to be here every time I come back (which is usually twice a year). Go…. Enjoy… leave your tired and cranky kids at home/condo!

P.S. There are 2-3 tables outside, but I don't really count that as outside dining... maybe for a drink... due to the table size, the location, and the super busy parking lot. Do yourself a favor and go inside.

Baltimore
“Owner operator who takes pride in their food.”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We went here Friday night with our three sons (ages 7, 9 and 14) based on other Tripadvisor reviews. It is located in a very crowded strip mall with tight parking but was worth the effort. The heart of palm salad was delicious. My older son and I both had the catch if the day, grouper, which was well prepared and came with several different side options. My husband had the seafood fra diavolo which was full of fish, shrimp and mussels with just enough spice. My nine year olds food didn't arrive with everyone else's which was frustrating; however, we felt much better when the hostess came by to apologize and explain that his pizza had been burned and her husband didn't feel shoukd be served. Overall very good experience and would go here again. Just wish I had remembered to ask about the wine I was drinking-Argentinian white over ice with lime. It was wonderful and I would love to have it again.