“5* in St. Augustine”

Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
“5* in St. Augustine”
Reviewed May 27, 2008

The Purple Olive is our favorite dinner destination. The food selection is Continental with much appeal and variety. The wine list is ample and complimentary. Whatever selection we choose is consistently delicious and creatively presented. Chef Peter is exceptional and his wife Deidre is the perfect hostess and organizer. It is comforting to know that we can take our friends and guests to the Purple Olive, right in our own backyard so to speak, for a delightful dining experience.

4 Thank srdep

Orlando
“Simply Amazing!”
Reviewed May 16, 2008

This was my favorite restaurant in St. Augustine! The restaurant is located in a shopping mall but don't let this fool you. As soon as you enter the atmosphere changes. Everything is nicely decorated and, true to the name, there is lots of purple. My wife and I were promptly seated and our waitress was very attentive to us. My wife order a stuffed chicken dish and I order the rib eye steak from the grill section. Our meals came with a salad. One of the most impressive parts about this restaurant is their homemade salad dressings and sauces. I was amazed at the flavor. Our main dishes followed and we were very happy. The portions are great and the presentation makes you feel like you're at a fancy restaurant. I have to say that I am a steak fanatic. I've had steak at places like Ruth's Chris and other higher end restaurants but this steak was simply amazing. It was right up there on par with some of the higher end steak houses. Best part about it, however, was the $20 price tag for a salad, 12oz Steak, and one side dish. I have to say, if you are in the St. Augustine area you need to try this place. You won't be disappointed.

6 Thank worshipjesus121
St Augustine Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“St Augustine's hidden treasure”
Reviewed May 14, 2008

I have had the pleasure of dining at the Purple Olive a number of times and find the preparation and presentation of the cuisine to be creative, fresh, and most appealing. Chef Peter has assembled an impressive menu which is always cooked to perfection. Co-owner, and Peter's wife, Deidre insures that the staff is always friendly and attentive. The Purple Olive is the place to go for a truly unique and delicious meal.

1 Thank Donax49
Boston, MA
“Not what I expected”
Reviewed May 7, 2008

OK, So my wife and I went to the Purple Olive based on the T.A. reviews and were all set for a great meal. We were kindly greeted and promptly seated. The menu had a nice selection and there were early bird specials up to 6:30 (which I took advantage of).

I ordered a Marinara dish and my wife shrimp with Linguini in a cheese sauce with bread crumbs. We also had Bisque and salad. Overall, it was just ok. The Marinara sauce was just ok, my wifes shrimp dish was actually not that good and went unfinished. The bisque was overly salty and again was just ok.

What makes this review only 3 stars for me are the prices the Olive charged for this food. Entrees were $18/plate ($13 for early birders). I expect far more for this much money.

I understand taste is subjective and that St A's is a tourist town but in my opinion the food is just OK at best and the prices are far too high for the quality of what they are serving.

2 Thank javajoe128
DPHStAug, owner at PURPLE OLIVE, responded to this review, May 12, 2008
Javajoe,
So sorry our restaurant did not meet your high standards. I only wish you had let your server, or myself, or my husband, know you were disappointed, and we would have done anything in our power to make sure you a nice meal and a pleasant experience.
Everything on our menu is made with fresh homemade ingredients, and if a customer makes us aware they are not enjoying their meal, we do anything we can to get them exactly what they want.

As far as pricing goes, I have to disagree with you- in my opinion $13 for a dinner dish including fresh local seafood with soup or salad and homemade bread is more than reasonable, especially in a "tourist town". Once again, please accept our apologizes, and understand if you had let a staff member know you were unhappy , we would have done anything possible to correct the situation, as we cannot correct the problem(s) after the fact. My husband and I want everyone to leave our restaurant full and happy.

Deidre B Kenney
jacksonville fl
“A great St. Augustine restaurant”
Reviewed April 21, 2008

Based on favorable TripAdvisor reviews, my wife and I went to the Purple Onion for supper last Saturday. This restaurant is located in an unassuming strip center on St. Augustine Beach. It's small, with no more than 20 tables. We had made "reservations" (which actually only gives you priority for the next available table once you arrive) but were seated as soon as we arrived. Our server was prompt and efficient.

While waiting for our appetizers, we were given the obligatory fresh bread with garlic-infused olive oil for dipping. The bread was slightly sweet and didn't seem like a good candidate for dipping in the olive oil, which had a light, non-garlicky taste. For an appetizer, we chose the Sundried Tomato Pesto Flatbread, a tasty, tomatoey-cheesy concoction hung on a large plank of flatbread. The salad greens were acceptable, the customary field greens or baby spinach. The dressing for my baby spinach salad was an intriguing melange of candied pecans, apples, crispy bacon, & warmed brie. Actually, I think the brie was so warm that it melted away, since all I saw if it was the rind. It all did make for a tasty dressing, though.

At just the right time the entees arrived. I really wanted to get the Sesame Seared Scallops, but selected the tuna entree instead. I really love tuna well-prepared, so I'm a little picky, quality-wise. My Blackened Ahi Tuna did not disappoint. It was served rare, with just the right amount of peppery spice seared in, and served with just enough ginger soy sauce, shredded ginger & wasabi to please most diners. The jasmine rice was subtly sweet; the wok seared vegetables buttery and tasty. My wife had the catch of the day. The mahi was blackened just right, done with a lighter touch appropriate to the milder taste of the mahi. She really liked the mango chutney it came with. Her side dish was delicious, Asparagus with Almond Picada.

After all that delicious food, we certainly didn't have room for dessert. But we did talk to Deidre, one of the owners, who was gracious enough to take time to speak with us in the midst of what had become a busy evening. We never felt rushed while we were there. The place had a low-key, locals-eat-here vibe, and the prices were friendly, too. My wife and I agreed that it was the best meal we'd had in some time. HIGHLY recommended!

4 Thank brodavefla