“Great restaurant Find”

Ranked #46 of 610 Restaurants in St. Augustine
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Purple Onion is in a strip mall out on A1A south not in town, it's casual atmosphere and reasonably priced.
You’d never know it’s there unless someone told you.
Parking was cramped but that is our only complaint.
We had a Chef’s Stuffed Chicken
filled with boursin cheese and spinach,topped with lemon
sherry herb sauce,served with
mashed potatoes and vegetables. It was tender an very tasty.
And a Espresso Rubbed Gorgonzola Crusted Rib Eye steak special
over marsala glazed onions with mashed potatoes and vegetables. As a steak lover I’d say this is one of the best steak dinners I have ever had. Each bite had an explosion of a different flavor. Very good.
Desert to go was a great cake that was eaten at home.
The whole meal’s conversation's were interrupted frequently with “Oh my God this is so good.”
Our server ,Fred,was the consummate professional.

2  Thank dudley d

Reviewed March 21, 2013

This restaurant is not in the downtown area of St. Augustine but it is well worth the drive to get there. The food was excellent, the service also very good. Lots of retirees in Florida so they do have the early bird special if you want it. However, the prices are reasonable so no need to rush to eat early. They have a very varied menu so you will find whatever your heart desires.

1  Thank JannietheQueen
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I went here for our anniversary dinner and it was absolutely amazing - one of the best dinners I've ever had in my life. The owner and our server were exceptionally friendly and accommodating. I had the house sangria, which was light, bright and tasty. My husband had the grilled salmon and loved it. I had blackened chicken. I've never tasted anything like it. It was completely crusted in dark spices. I thought it was going to set my mouth on fire, but it didn't. It was smoky and just slightly hot. The flavor was to die for. Even the soup and sides were a gourmet delight. I had miso vegetable soup, and it had an extra rich, wonderful ginger flavor and was loaded with chunky vegetables. I would kill for the recipe. I had the veggie stir fry for my side dish and it was also amazing. Everything we ate was just bursting with flavor and exceeded our expectations. We had a flourless chocolate cake for dessert. I expected it to be dense and overly rich like others I've tried, but the texture was pleasantly light. The flavor was still every bit as sweet as you'd expect, though, and I could feel the sugar granules on my tongue. Yum! The price was amazing for the quality and type of food. We had two entrees, two glasses of wine and dessert for about $85 with tip. I wish we lived in St. Augustine so we could dine here again!

Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

I had blackened grouper w spinach and a nice pale ale. My wife had scallops and it was all wonderful. Highest recommendation !!

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We were all very pleased with the variety and quality of the dishes we sampled at the Purple Olive. They must have a great chief as each dish was suburb. I had the Salmon, with Meyer Lemon Hollandaise sauce and Wok Seared Vegetables (delicious and cooked to perfection), the others had the Sesame Seared Scallops with sweet chili glaze, jasmine rice, and wok seared vegetables, the Scallop special, with a wonderful sauce, potatoes, and veggies, and Blackened Ahi Tuna seared rare, served with ginger soy, wasabi, jasmine rice, and wok seared vegetables, Each dish was fantastically delicious. There menu includes gluten free, and vegetarian dishes, meets, pasta as well. check it out at http://www.purple-olive.com/diningmenu.pdf before you go, and I'm sure you'll find something you'll enjoy as much as we did. The restaurant is in a strip mall out on A1A south not in town, it's casual atmosphere and reasonably priced. A definite must for any St. Augustine seafood lover.

1  Thank Mary C