“Beautiful and romantic ride!”
Review of Avalon Carriage Service - CLOSED

Avalon Carriage Service
More attraction details
Owner description: Horse & carriage rides & tours
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Beautiful and romantic ride!”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Rachel and Mack were a wonderful team for our carriage ride. Beautiful during the night of lights. Proposed to my fiancé during a stop. Bought ticket at welcome center $10 off.

2 Thank Elogos

hazleton
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“best ride ever”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

we loved our carriage ride we had a private carriage because it was our wedding evening.she asked if we wanted history or to be left alone we chose history and she knew quite a bit about the town it was a lovely ride and we got to see the christmas lights..

Visited December 2012
1 Thank maggiebr
St. Augustine, Florida
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Disappointing”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Took a horse and carriage ride to see the lights of St Augustine and the historical sites, narrated by the driver. The entire encounter, from the moment I talked with the person taking the money to the end of the tour, was unprofessional and third rate so to speak. I called in advance to make a reservation and was told to meet a person near the downtown parking garage, and he would take my payment, When I approached him, he was talking with a friend about nothing. I waited a bit, and then tried to interrupt. After assuring me he was the man I was supposed to see, he told me he'd be with me in a minute and continued chatting with his friend. Not a good sign that he was happy I had chosen his company from his competitors on the waterfront. He then invited me to his "office," which was the picnic table. He was unsure of how to process a credit card payment using the wireless on his phone, and after numerous attempts and help from a carriage driver, he gave up after about 20 minutes or more and just wrote all my information down. We were assigned to a driver who was obnoxious, fast-talking, and difficult to understand with a Bostonian accent. When I called ahead, I confirmed there would be blankets so I woulnd't have to bring my own. There was one thin blanket for all three of us to share; when I attempted to ask if there were more the driver tried to joke about how the one would be plenty for all of us--very annoying. During the ride, he spent much of the time talking about an injury he was recovering from (a broken rib), letting us know every time it hurt--with loud wincing and more explanations about the injury--which was often since he had to continuously turn to us to talk. Three times he stopped the carriage and screamed at car drivers while waving his horse whip at them. These were minor incidents that he blew out of proportion. Each time, he turned to us after and apologized while ensuring us he did it for our safety. I've been here three years and have passed many carriages that were stopped while showing a site to their passengers, and have never encountered a driver like this one. Anyway, an unbelieveably annoying driver and unprofessional service did not prevent us from enjoying the view and the novelty of taking a carriage ride in the old city. But next time, I'll be sure to try out another service. Beware, there are only three of them here, and two are owned by the same company.

Visited November 2012
5 Thank E L
St. Augustine, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“tour”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We took a tour with Benjy (the driver) and Mac (the horse) it was amazing I recommend them both if ever you are in town

Visited November 2012
4 Thank fedwig
Johnson City, Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Top your evening off”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

The carriage ride was a great way to see downtown St. Augustine. Our carriage driver was very knowledgable of the history of St. Augustine. This carriage ride was far much better than the carriage rides in Charleston, SC. We were able to see more and didn't get stuck by the luck of the draw as what could happen to you in Charleston, SC.

Visited October 2012