“BEST BREAD AND BREAKFAST IN ST AUGUSTINE!”

44 Spanish Street Inn
Ranked #5 of 30 St. Augustine B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 13, 2010

Wow! What a wonderful place. My husband and I celebrated the 4th of July at 44 Spanish Street. We had never stayed at a bread and breakfast before and we really hit the jackpot! Spanish Steet was excellent with its beautifully decorated bedrooms and a dining room that made you feel so welcomed. Linda was the best innkeeper. She made us feel right at home, like you’ve known her all along. And her breakfasts were out of this world, especially the apple cinnamon waffles. I couldn’t help but have a second helping! She was the perfect hostess, such a pleasure to talk to. She gave us plenty of ideas to keep us busy during our stay.
44 Spanish Street has the best location, too. It’s right in the middle of everything you want to see in St. Augustine. We were able to walk to everything. Whether it was to get something to eat or shop or sightsee, we never had to use our car. We even walked to the bayfront to watch the fireworks over the Bridge of Lions. They were beautiful!!! We can’t wait to go back! We found our new favorite place when we want to get away!!!
Maria and Rick
Spring Hill, FL

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank advisor827

Reviewed July 5, 2010

This is a lovely bed and breakfast within easy walking distance to dozens of restaurants, clubs,and shops, plus the bayfront, fort, city marina,city gates, Flagler College, and many other attractions.My husband and I just returned from a 5 day stay at this inn. Our room, Palm North, was on the 2nd floor next to the front veranda. Our bed was very comfy and the room and inn in general is very attractively furnished with a mix of antiques and vintage with a tropical "Old Florida" look and feel.

The innkeeper, Linda, is a great cook and very graciously accommodated my vegetarian preferences and my omnivore husband's low-carb preferences. Linda cooked a different breakfast every morning and every meal was delicious! Her apricot-blueberry pancakes were by far the best pancakes I've ever eaten. Every breakfast was served with a choice of juices as well as coffee or tea. The dining room was a pleasure to walk into every morning, with its sunny gold walls, stained glass artwork, antique china cabinet with Linda's colorful ceramicware and glassware, and table linens in shades of gold, blue, and green.

The amenities of the inn included two upstairs verandas and one or two downstairs terraces (we were upstairs so did not pay much attention to what was available downstairs), TVs and hair dryers in each room, and free wireless internet. Our room had a shared microwave,refrigerator, and coffee-maker which were very convenient (I know some rooms have private microwave/refrig/coffee-maker). Parking was free and the parking lot was right down the street (and if you've every stayed in downtown St. Augustine, you know how precious parking is! Many downtown hotels charge for parking!).

Last night we grabbed our beach chairs and walked 3 blocks to the bayfront to watch the 4th of July fireworks shot off from a barge in the bay. After the fireworks, we dropped our chairs off back at the inn and walked to Kilwins for ice cream. At this inn, you are right in the middle of everything St. Augustine has to offer--if you don't want to walk or drive, you can buy a 3-day trolley ticket for $19.00 and go see all the sights (including the lighthouse and the beach) by trolley. The neighborhood is safe and friendly (we have spent probably 100 weekends in St. Augustine over the last 25 years and this neighborhood is by far our favorite).

I highly recommend 44 Spanish Street!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kathleen M
Reviewed June 21, 2010

My husband and I just returned from a visit to St. Augustine, Florida. We stayed at a B & B on 44 Spanish Street. Hence the NAME 44 Spanish Street.
The B & B is located in the Historic District of this BEAUTIFUL town. Circa of the building is 1920.
The owner of the B & B is a CHARMING woman, Linda who makes you feel at home with her smile and pleasant conversation.
Our room was very comfortable and filled with vintage ELEGANCE. The accomadations was clean and very comfortable.
Our Breakfast of fresh fruit, juices, coffees, teas and entrees was in a DELIGHTFUL, SUNNY ROOM again filled with ELEGANT vintage items.
I have visited many places in Europe and the US. The wonderful EXPERIENCE of 44 Spanish Street is one to REMEMBER and one that will be revisited many more times.
THANK you LINDA.
Mark and Sara Turner 6/20/10

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 4055_turner
Reviewed June 4, 2010

We stayed for a weekend here and were very satisfied. The location is in the heart of the historic district. The owner (Linda) lives on-site and she is very friendly and sincere. She truly loves what she does. The breakfast was great. The rooms were cozy and clean. You have access to coffee, the fridge, microwave, etc. The balconies are a great place to relax. We can't say enough about this welcoming bed and breakfast. We would highly recommend this stay.

Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2010

We wanted a wekend in St Augustine and our English friends reccommended 44 Spanish Street. This turned out to be really perfect. The location was excellent right in the middle of the historic quarter. Free parking was just a couple of blocks away and the inn was surrounded by pubs, and restaurants right on the doorstep. The city has much to see and the tram stop for the city tour just up the street. Our room was excelent and our host Linda could not have been more friendly and helpful. The balconies overlooking the street were perfect for sitting with a drink and watching the world go by. Breakfast was a real feast cooked up and served by Linda and really set you up for the day. All in all a wonderful weekend in a lovely location. David & Liz UK

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank austinofengland
Reviewed April 15, 2010

My family and I stayed at 44 Spanish for 2 nights in March and celebrated my Mothers 80 birthday. There were 9 of us who flew and drove in from various states for the surprise party. Linda was great at getting all of the details and logistics together so that we could surprise my Mom all at once. She baked my Mom's favorite cake and got balloons for us ahead of time! We all enjoyed the B & B. In answer to another reviewer, yes, it was a quirky layout without an inside common area but St. Augustine is a quirky town with old buildings! The rooms and bathrooms were very clean, appointed comfortably and had all that we could have wanted; refig, wireless access, blow dryer. My room accomodated 3 of us and it was big enough for all 9 of us to gather when we wanted to by bringing in a few chairs from the porch and back room. We utilized the dining room for the afternoon surprise and spent a few hours there eating delicious cake, drinking coffee and hanging out. My family who stayed upstairs used the back balcony for their happy hour gatherings. The breakfasts were supurb and Linda worked hard at making sure everyone ate enough and had all of the juice and coffee that you wanted. All in all, it was a great stay. All of us totally enjoyed ourselves and no one had anything negative to say about 44 Spanish! I hope to be back!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 12, 2010

We stayed at 44 Spanish Street for a week, and have absolutely NO complaints about our time there. Linda is the friendliest and most accommodating innkeeper we've probably ever met. Yes, our room was small, but we considered it intimate and very quaint. Our bed in Palm South (a room mentioned by a reviewer who gave it a poor rating) was quite comfortable and we both slept well. We're both fairly private people, and we weren't concerned with having our room cleaned every day, but if we'd needed that, I know Linda and Bridget would've obliged! There were always fresh towels outside our room -- anything that we needed, we got. Linda went out of her way to make sure we were comfortable, even bringing us a 2 liter of Coke (without us asking) and asking if we had special requests for breakfast. Now, the BEST thing -- the breakfasts!! Linda is a wonderful cook -- we ate better here than we have in months! :)
To address the review that mentioned there were no "common" areas to lounge, well, there are two balconies with chairs and tables -- there is also a cute courtyard in the back AND front of the house. If those aren't common areas, I really don't know what they were expecting.
Linda gave us recommendations for restaurants, fun attractions, and ALWAYS asked use how we were doing -- she was really concerned with us enjoying ourselves, which we did. :)
The "coffee station", to me, is perfect, because you can have coffee whenever you want it. But, if you want an entire carafe of coffee brought with your breakfast, you've got it. Last thing, and just an awesome bonus -- like I mentioned, before, we're fairly private folks -- Linda brought our breakfast on trays TO OUR ROOM every morning. We never even ate in the dining room, and she totally understood that.
You just can't beat the service at 44 Spanish Street. I don't see how "Sam's Club cookies" and "make it yourself coffee" even relate........I'd much rather have the most awesome service than the most awesome room.
THANK YOU LINDA! (and Bridget, of course)

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple