“Inconvenient Truth”

Wingate by Wyndham St Augustine
Ranked #14 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
“Inconvenient Truth”
Reviewed June 24, 2010

Weighed several options before selecting this hotel and decision was based on favorable reviews. I will tell you DO NOT stay here if you plan to frequent the beaches. It's just far enough away to be an overly time consuming jaunt to go to the beach and back (30 min each way through congested downtown).

We are a family of four. We spent an afternoon at St Aug beach and left beach at 5pm. By the time we drove back to hotel to clean up for dinner (showering one at a time) it was 7:15 pm. Finding nothing nearby to eat but Burger King and KFC, we drove all the way BACK to downtown for a decent meal...were seated by 8:30pm hungry and exhausted. NO WAY will we stay here again putting a hundred miles a day on the car just to get to the beach and back.

Dubik85, Front Office Manager at Wingate by Wyndham St Augustine, responded to this review, July 6, 2010
First and foremost I would like to apologize that you were unsatisfied with our location.
Our location is right off of I-95, and at most times very convenient for most travelers.
It is a 12-15 minute drive to the beach.There is nothing decieving about our hotel description, but I do agree sometimes with traffic it may take a while longer to reach your destination.

There also are more dining options instead of a KFC or Burger King as you have stated in your response. We regret that you might have not asked the front desk staff to help you find suitable dining arrangement(s) for you and your family.

There are a few eating options nearby such as an Italian, Thai Restaraunt, Bar-B-Q Restaraunt, Ruby Tuesday Restarauntt and Cracker Barrel restaraunt within a short 5 minute drive.

But we do appreciate you and your family for your recent stay hear at Wingate by Wyndham, in St. Augustine, Florida.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
hudson,fl.
Reviewed June 18, 2010

Stayed at wingate almost 3 wks. after work stacy's cute smile would make my day she was very friendly and helpfull with everything made me feel welcome here in St. Augustine,FL. loved staying here, will recommend this hotel , it was great.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed May 17, 2010

I travel a lot for business. I see a lot of crummy hotels. I see a lot of hotels that seem nice, but trim the budget by not cleaning thoroughly. Once in a decade I see a hotel that is as clean and well maintained as this. Truly! The staff is absolutely dedicated to ensuring that the entire premises, from your room to public areas to parking lot to pool, is clean and inviting. Stay at this hotel - you will be impressed, and then begin to wonder why other hotels don't seem to be able to do the same thing. I am spoiled! I can guarantee you that other hotels pale in comparison, no matter what state you are in. I can't wait to return!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
ny
Reviewed March 26, 2010

Had a wonderful stay. Everything was very clean and wonderful! Only problem was the gril working at the front desk named stacy was not very helpful and very annoying honestly I don't know how she doesnt wake up people in the rooms near the front desk with her laugh. Otherwise I highly recommend this hotel! everything was wonderful!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Florida
Reviewed March 25, 2010

Each time I go to St. Augustine I stay here at the Wingate by Wyndham. These are the reasons why.
It is always clean and smell fresh in the hotel and rooms.
The sleeping accomadations are very comfortable and I usually sleep better there than I do at home.
I comarision shopped and found that they have the best rates in St. Augustine for what you get for your dollar.
There are microwaves and fridges in each room.
They serve a hot breakfast that includes eggs, sausage, waffles, cereal, fruit, juices, milk, yogert, bagels, muffins, wheat and white breads. They have coffee 24/7 which is very important for someone working with deadlines!
They have a lovely pool, hot tub and a workout room to unwind in.
They have business office and wireless internet.
If there is anything you need you just have to ask.
They have great recommendation for local eatery's and attactions.
They provide all this with a pleaseat attitude adn a smile.
They treat my colleagues and I like family and believe me, I have tryed other hotels in the past and nothing compares!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Columbia, SC
Reviewed March 17, 2010

On the plus side the rooms (we both had kings) were large. Ours had a pull-out couch, theirs had a chair and ottoman in a sitting area next to the bed. Bathroom was large with a granite sink top and tub surround. Rooms were very clean and smelled fresh. Rooms included a mini-fridge, coffee maker and microwave.

The other plus was the complimentary breakfast - Food was well presented, hot and very tasty. You could choose eggs, sausage, waffles, breads, muffins and hot or cold cereal. Coffee, bith decaf and regular and hot water were available. Orange, apple and cranberry juice were in a dispenser-type arrangement. Attendants did a great job of replenishing the food, there was fresh food at 9:45...not the picked-over stuff you frequently see 15 minutes before the breakfast bar closes.

We were travelling to St. Augustine to celebrate my sister-in-law's birthday. I made a request that our rooms be near each other when I made the reservations for all of us. I again made the request when I checked us in on Saturday AND again Sunday morning before our relatives arrived. Each time I was told it should not be a problem, but they of course could not guarantee the request. When my in-laws arrived, they were given a room on another floor at the opposite end of the hotel from ours. The hotel was not full nor were there any patrons in the room next to ours or across the hall.

USE THE SAFE FOR EVEN SLIGHTLY VALUABLE ITEMS! We had a well-used 6 year old GPS unit stolen and our luggage was obviously rifled during one of our absences from our room. I never travel with expensive jewelry, but my travel jewel case was searched as was all our luggage. All other valuable items such as cell phones were with us thank goodness! Who would expect an item of that age to be pilfered? I received the response at the front desk that I expected...if we find it, we'll call you but there's nothing we can do if you didn't lock up your valuables.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank MadCityWoman
Dubik85, Front Desk Manager at Wingate by Wyndham St Augustine, responded to this review, March 20, 2010
Thank you for your recent stay at the Wingate By Wyndham here in St. Augustine. We take great pride in our property and our honest, loyal and hard working staff.

We apologize that your request for rooms being side by side was not able to be met at your reservation date. We have been booked almost every weekend for the past month and a half and we try to go above and beyond what is expected to make your stay the best possible.

As for having your missing GPS "stolen," you might want to reconsider your choice of words.This property has been open for 3 and a half years now, with the same staff and this has NEVER been an issue.

The lock to your room was checked immediately after the mention of the missing GPS to check and see if there was any foul play or if anyone else or housekeeping has entered the room. It turned up negative. The only key that was used on the lock, was the customers'. In this case, it is impossible for your GPS to have been stolen by any of our hard working employees.

Therefore, we apologize that you had misplaced your GPS, but that is out of our hands.

Wingate by Wyndham Management.
Gainsborough, United Kingdom