“Service, Comfort, and Location!”

Bayfront Marin House Historic Inn
Ranked #1 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Folly Beach, South Carolina, United States
“Service, Comfort, and Location!”
Reviewed May 26, 2014

My husband and I eloped to this location in November of last year. You have an amazing employee in Brian - give that man a raise. He was there every step of the way and made us feel like King and Queen on our day. I can't say enough good things about him. It was a windy night on the night of our wedding (seriously- Gail-force winds!) and Brian and the staff at the last-minute moved everything for our ceremony inside. It was beautiful and so romantic. Perfection! My husband and I are both in the hospitality business and he and this B&B are great!

We stayed in Stephanie's Hideaway and the room was decorated nicely. I loved the linens and terry. The only thing (and it's super minor) was there was not a good place to "get ready." The mirrors weren't lit all that well, especially at night. Breakfast was excellent and even though we had it delivered it was so beautiful when we were there, that we ate on the patio outside of our room and sunbathed. That quiche-Lorraine! Wow - need that recipe!! Still craving it! We ordered mimosas every day and we could never drink all of it.

You can't beat the location of this B&B, parking wasn't a far walk, all of the historic attractions also a walk away. I could go on and on but in short - we can't wait to go back!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
BayfrontMarin, Owner at Bayfront Marin House Historic Inn, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
What a great review--thank you so much!! And we're glad you felt like royalty--that's exactly how you should feel when you're on vacation! Your ceremony was simply beautiful--thank you so much for letting us be a part of your special day. And drop us an email about the quiche...we're happy to share our recipes for everything we make! Congratulations again on your wedding (happy 6 month anniversary!) and we look forward to seeing you both again soon!--Mike and Sandy and the Whole Bayfront Marin House Staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

We just checked in today, but I have no doubt that we will love our stay. All the reviews on this Inn are right on the money. We haven't had breakfast yet (obviously), but their cute happy hour was fun. Our room is decorated with antique furniture, is very clean and has a big double hot tub (yet to try). Our view is amazing and the staff is super friendly. Check out their weekly special rates vs. Booking your room through websites I.e. hotels.com.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
BayfrontMarin, Owner at Bayfront Marin House Historic Inn, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us! It's awesome that you wrote this review on your first full day--we must have made a good first impression! Thank you so much for choosing us for your "minimoon", and we look forward to seeing you again soon!--Mike and Sandy and the Whole Bayfront Marin House Staff
Fredericktown, Ohio
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Coming from Ohio to St. Augustine for the first time, I looked up bed and breakfasts and decided the Bayfront Marin was the place for us. Not only is it a charming setting, but the people could not have been nicer or more helpful. We were given the Robinson Louis room. The furnishings were all timely to the period and lovely. My husband has a bad back and the bed was very comfortable and didn't bother his back. The food and service were outstanding every morning of the 5 days we were there. They had the sangria I've ever had. I would not hesitate to recommend this to everyone and hope to return sometime.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
We hope that you can visit again soon too! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay, and that you could relax and enjoy your first visit to St. Augustine. Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice review--we really appreciate it!--Mike and Sandy and the Whole Bayfront Marin House Staff
Sonora, KY
Reviewed May 19, 2014 via mobile

I'm not sure where to start in my review of the Bayfront Marin House, except to say that Mike and Sandy have an amazing place. Myself and my new wife went there on our honeymoon, and we both agree we could not have chosen a better place. We arrived on a Sunday night, and checked into the Francisco Marin room. First off, the grounds are absolutely beautiful, and a testament to the hard work of whoever takes care of it all. Truly stunning. Secondly, the room is gorgeous, and amazingly well-kept (for being over 200 years old!). We loved the beautiful poster bed, and it was very romantic as well. The jacuzzi was great, and made for some very relaxing nights (and days!). We moved to Stephanie's Hideaway on that Wednesday, and was even more impressed. It was perfect for a romantic getaway.

Next - the breakfast. I read about Mary's cooking on different TripAdvisor reviews, but none can do it justice (the BEST French toast I've ever had). Each and every day we stayed, we were blown away by the wonderful food that we were served. The service was excellent, everyone was so polite and accommodating (which I believe shows how well the owners treat their employees). We found out later that Mike and Sandy were out of town until Friday, and the fact that the employees kept the place running and were THAT good is incredible.

Speaking of the employees - I must mention Brian (I hope I'm spelling that correctly). Almost every morning, he came out to check and see how everyone was doing, and make sure everything was ok. One day, it was a little chilly in the morning, and we had reserved a dolphin safari cruise. I hadn't packed any warm clothing at all, so I knew I would be cold on the water. Brian offered to drive to his house for me and find a sweatshirt for me to wear. I was flabbergasted at this offer - you won't find that at the Holiday Inn. He also pointed us in the right direction to a GREAT beach (you're going to have to stop telling people your secrets Brian!).

Speaking of the beach, the Bayfront Marin House saved us a bundle of money by offering us beach chairs, an umbrella, and towels. Being inlanders, we didn't have any of these items, so we assumed we'd have to go buy them, but Bayfront saved the day.

Another thing to mention - midway through our stay my wife became sick. Each day, the employees would ask about her and be genuinely concerned (especially Elizabeth!). We were touched by this to say the least.

It is my opinion that you must include the bad with good. There were VERY little negatives, so this won't take long. I noticed another reviewer mentioned the hot water - we experienced the same problem. It wasn't a big deal (the water definitely was cold), so we didn't mention it to anybody, but it seems like the system has difficulty giving everybody hot water for a longer period of time. Again, not a big deal, but it would have been nice to have it throughout a shower/bath.

Just one more thing - I would recommend running water in the jacuzzis and running the jets when you get a new guest in. The jets get dirty easily and can affect the cleanliness of the water when a guest uses them. Again - not a big deal, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

We will DEFINITELY be returning to the Bayfront Marin House in the future - we could not have been more pleased with out stay. It is truly paradise on earth. Mike and Sandy - you're doing it right. Keep it up! And thank you for a wonderful place to stay while we visit St. Augustine.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DocAndy91
What a wonderful review--you have absolutely made our day!! First, thank you for mentioning our staff members in general, and Brian and Elizabeth in particular. We are so lucky to have a wonderful team--they make it fun for us to come to work, and they definitely make us comfortable when we have to leave town. We want all of our staff members to love their jobs, because it really does affect the atmosphere of the inn. And thank you for mentioning the gardens--Sandy plants them all, and Steve maintains them during the week (Sandy had to keep her job in Maryland when we bought the inn, but we're hoping she can join us full-time soon!) It's always nice to hear when someone appreciates the grounds and the rooms--we spend a lot of time putting personal touches on everything. Thank you again--and we hope that you will come back and visit soon so that we can meet you in person!--Mike and Sandy and the Whole Bayfront Marin House Staff
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed May 12, 2014

What a fantastic stay. My wife and I just drove up from Tampa to get away from work for a few days. Our plan was to drive around St. Augustine and pick a bed and breakfast. The Bayfront Marin's cottage look and landscaping stood out above the others. When we were shown room #3
(Hopkin's Cottage) , my wife and I both said "Yes". The service, food, and our room were excellent. We can't wait to come back. What a great place to relax and enjoy our oldest city.

Room Tip: Central air conditioning systems as opposed to window box units
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
We're so happy that you picked us for your getaway!! And Sandy will be glad to hear that her landscaping helped convince you to stay with us--she spends a lot of time sweating out there this time of year! Thank you for mentioning room 3 (the Hopkins Cottage)...we recently renovated it, and it turned out even better than we had hoped. Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review--and we look forward to your next trip to St. Augustine!--Mike and Sandy and the Whole Bayfront Marin House Staff
Adams, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 11, 2014

We are from Massachusetts. I did research looking for the perfect vacation to celebrate my husband's birthday and for a mini honeymoon. I had seen St. Augustine featured on Beachfront Bargains on tv and it looked so beautiful. I found Bayfront Marin House and knew that was the place to stay. When we arrived we were not disappointed! The rooms and grounds were as gorgeous as pictured on the website. There was a lot of attention to detail. The landscaping was impeccable. We stayed in Stephanie's Hideaway and it was as romantic as i had hoped. 2nd floor with a spa tub in the room. there was a stunning view of the boats across the way as we stepped out of the room. ALL of the staff there couldn't have been nicer to us. We were impressed with the fact that the owner, Mike, came around every morning to stop and speak to all the guests. The breakfasts, as well as the happy hour fare, were delicious!! Everything was fresh and homemade. The entire experience was everything we had hoped for! We recommend the Bayfront Marin to anyone who needs a getaway to a clean, comfortable, friendly bed & breakfast with close proximity to shops, restaurants and historical locations. Make sure to check into the Sunset Sail for Two option!!!!! It was spectacular! our captain couldn't have been any nicer. Was awesome when the dolphins came around to check us out. Definitely worth the money! We WILL be going back!!!! Thank you to Mike and his staff for a wonderful experience!!!

2 Thank Wendy W
Your lovely review has just made our day! We were so lucky to have been featured on HGTV--we've met so many wonderful people as a result! Thank you for taking the time to mention so many of the details of your stay--Sandy will be thrilled that you mentioned her landscaping, and we'll definitely share your comments with the staff. We love your pictures too--the one of the water is so serene looking! We're looking forward to your next stay!--Mike and Sandy and the Whole Bayfront Marin House Staff
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed May 10, 2014

I am local, but I have never been to a Bed and Breakfast before in town. After doing some research, me and my boyfriend chose the Bayfront Marin House- and let me tell you- we were not disappointed!! We stayed in the Forrester Suite on the 2nd floor. It has a King Size bed, and a very nice bathroom.
The Bayfront Marin House is close to downtown,but not in the crowded area (so it leaves room for great quiet time), which is super convenient, and the Inn has a wonderful view. We loved sitting on the porch upstairs.
The sangria at happy hour was delicious, and we enjoyed the snacks that were provided. Also, we really appreciated the homemade quiche in the morning. The staff was awesome, friendly and helpful.
I highly recommend this bed and breakfast!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anna W
Thank you so much for choosing us for your at-home getaway!! We love it when locals stay with us--it's such a great compliment! We're so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we'll let Donna know that you enjoyed her quiche. Thank you for writing such a nice review--hope to see you again soon, even if you're just stopping by to say hi!!--Mike and Sandy and the Whole Bayfront Marin House Staff