“The Room and the place for Breakkfast may be improved, Service is excelent”

Bayfront Marin House Historic Inn
Ranked #1 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Quito
“The Room and the place for Breakkfast may be improved, Service is excelent”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

We stayed at this place , for me was the first experience at a Bed and Breakfast. and the location is superb, the room beatiful decorated but need some improvements such as the curtains they could not give you total privacy you need ,and at night, some light from the stree can be seen. also the TV was not working properly, and the bathroom rather small.
We had room number 14. BUt besides that service was excelnet and the breakfast also excelent , in the afternoon there was a happy hour, and we enjoy it.
to summarize a very nice experience for me.

Room Tip: Please ask for the rooms that have a good curtain , and in the second floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank ROVP
BayfrontMarin, Owner at Bayfront Marin House Historic Inn, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us! We're glad that you enjoyed your room--one of the best parts of a bed and breakfast is that each of the rooms are so different. Room 14 (The Governor White) is nice in that it has a Jacuzzi tub and a king-sized bed, but you are correct--the bathroom is on the small side. We have been updating all of the bathrooms in the inn since we've owned it: please ask for a room with a large shower when you make your next reservation--we have showers with body jets, room for a stool, double shower heads, etc! Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review--we look forward to seeing you on your next visit!--Mike and Sandy and the Whole Bayfront Marin House Staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Glen Allen, Virginia
Reviewed April 21, 2014

This is the place to stay in downtown St. Augustine! The rooms are lovely, the staff is extremely accommodating, the breakfast and happy hour are super enjoyable and our wedding was perfect! Brian, the wedding coordinator, ensured our wedding ceremony and all the other details went off swimmingly well. I could not have asked for a better wedding day -- bar none! The staff was very accommodating with my dietary needs at breakfast and the food was delicious! The location is great, as it's within walking distance of all the downtown highlights. We didn't even need a car. I would highly recommend Bayfront Marin to anyone looking for the best place to stay in downtown St. Augustine -- you have found the place; look no further. We will be coming back for an anniversary trip or two!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Lindsay Michelle and it was plenty spacious! It's upstairs on the end, so it...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
It's wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us--and that your wedding was everything that you had hoped it would be! Thank you for mentioning Brian--he is truly great at delivering an amazing experience for our brides. We LOVE the fact that you're already planning anniversary trips back to see us--we look forward to it!! Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review.--Mike and Sandy and the Whole Bayfront Marin House Staff
Darien, Georgia
Reviewed April 20, 2014

After visiting St. Augustine several times and staying at different B&B's, this one is THE BEST! There is nothing I would change. My 50th birthday weekend getaway with my boyfriend was complete. The room was awesome with a private porch. The staff were more than kind and gracious. The breakfasts were superb. There are just not enough words to describe how great our stay was. We WILL be back!

Room Tip: The King George room is THE BEST!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
BayfrontMarin, Owner at Bayfront Marin House Historic Inn, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
We are so glad that you chose to spend your 50th birthday with us--and we're happy that we could help to make it a great memory for you and your boyfriend! We love helping to celebrate life's milestones--and we love that your experience with us was great. Thanks for making our day--and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to St. Augustine! --Mike and Sandy and the Whole Bayfront Marin House Staff
Miami, Florida
Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I have been to many bed and breakfasts throughout the United States. She selected this one for a birthday weekend in St. Augustine. Not knowing what to expect, I was pleasantly surprised by the comfort, beauty, location and service. We rank this b and b in the top three that we have visited. We had room number two, which has its own private balcony overlooking the bay. The room is very well appointed with antique pieces that still have a modern comfort. The bathroom was beautifully decorated with a wonderful shower. Sumptuous robes were provided. The bed was exceptionally comfortable and had a step stool for access. !!
But most of all, I was impressed by the service of the various staff members. From the delicious morning breakfasts to the evening happy hour everyone served with a smile and genuinely want to make sure our stay was as perfect as possible. The happy hour includes different wines and beer as well as coffee,tea, and lemonade for those who do not want to drink. An additional surprise were the hors d'oeuvres and the exceptional peach cobbler. I especially like the outdoor court yard in which to have breakfast. The weather during our stay was chamber of commerce perfect. Therefore, we enjoyed our breakfast in the gazebo overlooking the water. I spent the early morning hours watching the sunrise from a private deck which is what would make me want to return to the same room in the future. Another guest described this BMB has his "go to" place for birthdays, Valentine's Day's, and special days with his wife. I understand the sentiment and would rank this bed-and-breakfast in that exact same category. It would be the place I would return to when I come back to St. Augustine

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Joseph F
Thank you so much for such a wonderful review--you have just made our day (we love hearing that we're among people's favorite stays in the country)! And thanks for posting so many photos, too--you got some really pretty shots of the property that will definitely be helpful to other TripAdvisor visitors. Thank you too for mentioning our wonderful team of people--they really do make the difference when visiting us (they make it fun to work there, too!) We will print out your review and hang it on our "brag wall"--the staff loves seeing that they helped to make someone's stay special. We're glad you had a wonderful stay, and hope to see you again soon! --Mike and Sandy and the Whole Bayfront Marin House Staff
Washington DC
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Given all the rave reviews, we were a bit disappointed to find shortcomings in the property. The location is ideal, just across the street from the bay, which is lovely in the morning and evening light. Obviously great expense in renovating and furnishing the rooms but the room layout was bizarre, e.g., a jacuzzi in the same room with the lovely historic bed and furnishings, as was the case in our friends' room. Maybe great for honeymooners, but others might prefer more privacy and less noise. Our own jacuzzi was in the enormous bathroom, which was 1/2 the size of the bedroom, but was far too loud to really relax in. No towel bars except the one holding the over-sized towels. A shower big enough for a family of four. Meanwhile, the bedroom was crowded with lovely antiques but had barely enough room to carry out a small exercise routine. We could not get the TV to work and at 9:30 pm there was no one on duty to help. The next day a staff member showed us how to set the channel and work the two remotes but this is information that should be provided in written form for each room, especially since he said the TVs in each room worked differently and our problem was common. The outside door to our room had glass panels covered only by a sheer curtain which let in far too much light. The nightly wine and snacks were a very nice touch and when the weather was warm, the deck overlooking the bay was definitely a draw. Breakfast is scheduled on the half hour and according to selections on a menu which must be submitted the night before. Not much room for spontaneity, nor really any choice of main course. While coffee was available from 6 a.m., we waited 40 minutes beyond our scheduled time to receive our rather mundane breakfast of pancakes and sausage. The staff was less than well informed about what to see and do. Particularly we missed seeing the Tiffany windows at the college because it was not made clear that one could only see the windows via a twice daily tour. All in all, we had a good time but did not feel that this rather pricey B and B was a very good value for money. Much could be improved through simple adjustments. However, I suspect the in-room jacuzzis are there to stay.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank ringbone
BayfrontMarin, Owner at Bayfront Marin House Historic Inn, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
We're sorry that you weren't absolutely thrilled with your stay. We must say, we have never been told that our large showers were a shortcoming!

We’re surprised that you thought the room was small. The Forrester Suite has an 18 by 12 foot bedroom area, which is pretty large, although admittedly, not set up for exercise routines. That space is in addition to the separate bath area, which includes the tub (which can be used without the jets for a quiet soak) and the large shower.

We don't want to go through your review point by point, but we would like to address two items, should you choose to stay with us again. We apologize that you thought our breakfast service kept you from being spontaneous. We ask guests to choose a timeframe the night before which allows us to have your drinks and pastries ready when you arrive at breakfast. Our guests can *always* come down right away if they happen to wake earlier, or later if they want to relax in our comfy beds a bit longer--our entrees are made to order, so coming at a different time is not a problem. A lot of bed and breakfasts have a single seating; our guests are usually thrilled that they do have options for the time. There is a single hot entree every day, but you also can get pastries, toast, scrambled eggs, oatmeal, fresh fruit, or cereal. Breakfast was slower the morning you mentioned due to our commerical waffle iron going on the fritz at the most inopportune time! We eventually had to switch over to pancakes in order to get everyone fed!

We'd also like to clarify the television issue. The problem was that you had changed the channel the tv was set on (channel 3), which meant you didn't get any reception. All of our tv's work like this and it's not a common problem for our guests (forgive us for the white lie--Mike was the one who fixed your tv, and he thought you seemed slightly embarrassed. He just didn't want you to be uncomfortable during your vacation!) For future reference, our home number is printed in every room as well as next to our front entrance--we would have been happy to come to your room after hours to take care of the tv.

Again, we're sorry that you felt your stay was not perfect.
Daytona Beach, Florida
Reviewed March 19, 2014

I wish I could give the bayfront marin house more than 5 stars! I live in Daytona Beach (not far from Saint Augustine) and I have made the trip there several times before. For my Birthday weekend I decided to stay at a bed & Breakfast since my boyfriend has never been to one. We wanted to travel with our dog so we began to look for places that were pet friendly. The Bayfront Marin house was not only pet friendly, but have more than one room to choose from, ample outdoor seating, and lovely accommodations with a list of pet friendly restaurants, attractions, and sightseeing! ( we found this to be very helpful) When we arrived, we were greeted warmly at the door and the nice woman who checked us in even moved her own car to get us a space RIGHT in front of our room, she went out of her way to make it convenient for us! Our room (The Francisco Marin) was GORGEOUS , clean, bright, and we did not want to leave. There was not one thing about our room that could have been done more to satisfaction. This was undoubtedly the best nights sleep I think I have ever had; SO COMFORTABLE! In the morning, it was raining ( we chose to eat outside on our card that we filled out the day before) and they moved us to the inside before we could even ask ( very thoughtful) The breakfast was even better than expected. Various teas to choose from , delicious hot pastries, savory omelet with fresh bagels...even the fruit bowl was impressive - normally with a fruit bowl you get the same 2-3 fruits but they gave us not only those but blackberries and MANGO! You can really see that nothing is spared to make your stay luxurious. Someone (I believe he was an owner) came to our table to greet us and ask us how our stay was. ( I also think I must have drank 4-5 glasses of Orange juice, and they happily kept bringing it out to me!) My boyfriend said he never thought a Bed and Breakfast would be so wonderful and even I as someone who has been to several was blown away with how pleasant my stay was. While we were leaving I was taking several pictures and an employee offered to take one of all of us (dog included) these little touches really mean so much since we did not ask her to do so and she did not have to offer. I would recommend this venue to anyone who is visiting St. Aug or someone (like me) who has been there several times and may even live close enough to visit and go home. Staying even one night at this B&B is well worth it and will turn your trip into a unforgettable experience.

Room Tip: All rooms seem so beautiful it is hard to choose. We chose The Francisco Marin because it was pet fr...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Amber_Heaphy
Well, you have just made our morning!!! What a lovely review--thank you so much for the kind words!! We are so glad that you and your boyfriend (and your four legged friend!) were happy during your stay. Thank you too for noticing so many of the details--like the fresh orange juice and mangoes and blackberries at breakfast (note to future guests--we buy all of our fruit locally, and hand pick the items that are the sweetest and ripest, so the fruit will vary by season. But we cut it fresh every morning, so it's as juicy and sweet as possible!)

Finally, thank you for mentioning our amazing team. We have the very best staff--they really aren't happy until all of our guests are happy as well. We hope to see you again soon!--Mike and Sandy and the Whole Bayfront Marin House Staff
Westville, Indiana
Reviewed March 19, 2014

We stayed at the cottage on the beach. It was beautiful. Very clean, beautiful views. The only thing separating us from the ocean was a small marsh. Excellent views, small kitchenette, small guest room for a child or one person. My only complaint was it had a Queen bed, and I felt the room was large enough to accomodate a King size. The bathroom was large and luxurious. I would definetely stay again. Beautiful private patio.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay in Vilano Beach! It is such a peaceful and relaxing location--and so close to town. For other readers, however, please note that while this property has dining privileges at the Bayfront Marin House, it is actually a separate property--Beachcomber Cottages on Vilano, and it's located about 2 miles outside of the historic district on Vilano Beach (we informed TripAdvisor that the review should be on that property's site). Guests at this site can eat at the Bayfront Marin House for both breakfast and happy hour, and can use the Marin's parking during their stay as well. Thank you for writing such a nice review--and we hope that you'll come back and visit St. Augustine soon! -- Mike and Sandy