My wife and I have stayed at approximately 20 different B&B's and although Marin House is beautiful I would qualify it as more of an inn than a B&B. In all past experiences, the B&B owners are extremely visible and make the B&B feel more like a home than a place to sleep. As well in most B&B's the owners do most of the work and are there to greet you when you arrive.
We never once met the owner as far as I can tell. When we checked in we were shown to our room by someone who never introduced them-self. At breakfast we were served by two wonderful ladies that were as polite as can be and at check out it was yet another employee. One of the wonders of a B&B is the interaction with the owners. We did miss the happy our and maybe we would have met them at this event but we were in town for a wedding so were unable to participate. There was someone that brought out a breakfast smoothie that I believe was the owner but she did not introduce herself.
Other endearing features of B&B's which the Marin House lacks is that in most B&B's it is like you are part of the house with rooms in the house. At the Marin, although rooms are part of the house there is nothing actually inside all rooms have exterior doors versus being in the house. Granted this does provide easier access it still feels like an inn versus a B&B.
As for the house and room they are absolutely beautiful. We stayed in the Margaret room, which was very large and had a very modern and wonderful bathroom. If I could have packed the shower and tub in my suitcase I would have in a heartbeat. If I ever remodel this will be the basis for how I build. The bed was very nice and extremely comfortable. Although pillows were a bit soft for my taste.
Room was on second floor with a very nice deck from the deck with view of the intercostal waterway. Inn is about three blocks south of the city easy walking distance to king street and St. George street.
Parking is not on site but is within walking distance, about 5 blocks away. Only downfall is finding place to park to check in and drop off bags. As we were only there for a night we did not have much but I can see it being inconvenience if someone had several bags and there was street parking available at check in.
As I said we never officially met the owner and at check out it was very disappointing to not even be asked if we enjoyed our stay.
I definitely think Marin House is worth the stay but I wouldn't call it a B&B but more of an Inn. I realize there is a fine line between the two but just didn't have that B&B feel to me.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Find romance on the waterfront in our tailored, elegant, laid-back inn located right in the historic district of St. Augustine. Enjoy a full breakfast each morning, a daily happy hour, and lots of other great amenities including free parking, free Wi-Fi, free bikes, beach chairs, umbrellas, and the best water views in town. Bayfront Marin House has the style of the past with the conveniences of today including double Jacuzzi tubs, body jet showers, flat screen televisions, fireplaces, private decks with water views and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and Priceline so you can book your Bayfront Marin House Historic Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bayfront Marin House b&b Inn
- Bayfront Marin House Hotel Saint Augustine