“More of an inn than a B&B”

Bayfront Marin House Historic Inn
Ranked #2 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My wife and I have stayed at approximately 20 different B&B's and although Marin House is beautiful I would qualify it as more of an inn than a B&B. In all past experiences, the B&B owners are extremely visible and make the B&B feel more like a home than a place to sleep. As well in most B&B's the owners do most of the work and are there to greet you when you arrive.

We never once met the owner as far as I can tell. When we checked in we were shown to our room by someone who never introduced them-self. At breakfast we were served by two wonderful ladies that were as polite as can be and at check out it was yet another employee. One of the wonders of a B&B is the interaction with the owners. We did miss the happy our and maybe we would have met them at this event but we were in town for a wedding so were unable to participate. There was someone that brought out a breakfast smoothie that I believe was the owner but she did not introduce herself.

Other endearing features of B&B's which the Marin House lacks is that in most B&B's it is like you are part of the house with rooms in the house. At the Marin, although rooms are part of the house there is nothing actually inside all rooms have exterior doors versus being in the house. Granted this does provide easier access it still feels like an inn versus a B&B.

As for the house and room they are absolutely beautiful. We stayed in the Margaret room, which was very large and had a very modern and wonderful bathroom. If I could have packed the shower and tub in my suitcase I would have in a heartbeat. If I ever remodel this will be the basis for how I build. The bed was very nice and extremely comfortable. Although pillows were a bit soft for my taste.

Room was on second floor with a very nice deck from the deck with view of the intercostal waterway. Inn is about three blocks south of the city easy walking distance to king street and St. George street.

Parking is not on site but is within walking distance, about 5 blocks away. Only downfall is finding place to park to check in and drop off bags. As we were only there for a night we did not have much but I can see it being inconvenience if someone had several bags and there was street parking available at check in.

As I said we never officially met the owner and at check out it was very disappointing to not even be asked if we enjoyed our stay.

I definitely think Marin House is worth the stay but I wouldn't call it a B&B but more of an Inn. I realize there is a fine line between the two but just didn't have that B&B feel to me.

Room Tip: Definitely recommend Margaret room excellent room as I am sure all of them are.
2  Thank Smontag212
BayfrontMarin, Owner at Bayfront Marin House Historic Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

It’s true—we are a larger property (15 rooms), and so it probably doesn’t feel like staying in someone’s home, unless you grew up in a mansion, of course! :) We think that the benefit of staying with us is a degree of privacy (the exterior entrances defnitely add to that) and a larger staff to take care of you. We’re sorry you didn’t get a chance to “officially” meet us personally—but you did actually meet me (Sandy) at breakfast. I’m so sorry that I didn’t introduce myself as I was serving the smoothies! Definitely my fault—I need to make sure I do that every time I talk to someone. But I’m glad that you enjoyed your room—the Princess Margaret is just awesome! Maybe you’ll come back and stay with us when you start your own remodeling—we’ll make sure that we visit with you personally next time! (A note for your next stay: We have an unloading zone right in front of the inn, so you don’t have to park on the street. Also, make sure you ask us about the most direct route to the parking lot—it is less than two blocks away). :) —Mike and Sandy and the whole BMH Staff

There are newer reviews for Bayfront Marin House Historic Inn

Reviewed August 14, 2013

This bed and breakfast is amazing. My husband and I went for our honeymoon, and couldn't have been happier. It is located within strolling distance of nearly everything. You can see the fort from several of the rooms. The staff is genuinely friendly and happy to help you with anything you need. They all seem to really love their jobs. It is very cozy and quiet, and located right on the bay. The rooms are incredibly nice. Our's was definitely geared toward a couple. 10 out of 10. We will definitely be staying there again, and will be recommending it to everybody.

1  Thank Nikki V
BayfrontMarin, Owner at Bayfront Marin House Historic Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2013

Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We're so glad that you chose us for your honeymoon, and we're thrilled that we could make it a special and magical stay for you! Congratulations and best wishes (again!) on your new life together--and we look forward to seeing you again soon!--Mike and Sandy and the Whole Bayfront Marin House Staff

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We just stayed at the Bayfront Marin House. Staff was incredible very helpful with everything and every question, room was great very comfortable bed with a great view, food was very good and the service was great the owner was out with her staff making sure everything was taking care of and visiting each customer and the location (bay view) awesome within walking distance to everything. Cant wait to go back!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

And after such a sweet review, we can't wait until you come back! :) We're so glad that you enjoyed your stay...thank you so much for mentioning so many of the details that you enjoyed, and a special thank you for the shout out to our staff--we completely agree with you, and think that they're the best!!--Mike and Sandy and the Whole Bayfront Marin House Staff

Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stayed at the Bayfront Marin House and had a great experience. The rooms are clean and have very nice furnishings. It is an old house with a lot of charm. The staff were very friendly and we met several nice people at the happy hour. it is quiet and only a block or two away from many restaurants.

Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank J F

Thank you so much for your nice review! We're glad that you enjoyed your stay with us--and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip!--Mike and Sandy and the Whole Bayfront Marin House Staff

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Enjoyed my stay. A short walk to any where in historic downtown. Loved the porch swings and the view of the lighthouse. Staff is friendly and helpful. Breakfast was wonderful in the courtyard. Very relaxing and peaceful.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
BayfrontMarin, Owner at Bayfront Marin House Historic Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

We're so glad that you enjoyed your stay, and that we could help make your getaway a special one! Thank you for writing such a nice review--we appreciate it! We look forward to seeing you again soon...we'll save you a spot on one of the swings! :) --Mike and Sandy and the Whole Bayfront Marin House staff

Reviewed July 31, 2013

This was by far one of the nicest places we have ever stayed. We came for 2 nights to celebrate our 20th anniversary and chose the Forrester Suite -- it was gorgeous and had a wonderful view of the bay out the window and on the front porch! Not only is the hotel beautiful and spotlessly clean, but the staff is exceptional -- warm, friendly, doting and fun! Everyone you encounter is helpful and goes above and beyond -- Bryan and Emery are the stars here, running around taking care of the needs of each guest..it is simply amazing! The happy hour was delightful and enabled us to mingle with the other guests -- we had so much fun both nights. Wine, sangria, beer, frozen margaritas, baked treats, appetizers, homemade ice cream..this list goes on! It was one of the highlights of our stay because we met some magnificent people--we couldn't wait to get back to the hotel by 5 the second night because we didn't want to miss it! Breakfast was WONDERFUL -- the quiche was delicious and Mary and the rest of the breakfast staff were terrific. This place has it all down to a tee -- I would never again stay anywhere else in St. Augustine -- we will definitely be back!

Room Tip: From what we could tell, all of the rooms were beautifully decorated -- we stayed in the Forrester S...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

WOW--thanks so much for the awesome review!! It makes our day to hear that our guests enjoy their visit. Thanks for mentioning the quiche--it is one of our favorites too! And we'll be sure to share your comments with Brian and Emery...thanks for noticing how much they hustle to make our guests happy (we always say everyone's title at the inn is the same--Director of Guest Happiness!) Thanks again for taking the time to write a review--and we look forward to seeing you next time!--Mike and Sandy and all the Directors of Guest Happiness! :)

Reviewed July 30, 2013

This is a fabulous place to stay. From the people who run the Inn to the owners, everyone is super helpful and friendly. The breakfast at this place is out of this world, especially the French toast, and the happy hour is a pleasant bonus to your stay here. The location is also great as it is just far enough, only one block, from the main road to be tranquil while still being close enough to most attractions for guests to walk to them. Try the sangria and the homemade ice cream if you get a chance. My husband and I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

We always love it when people want to come back!! Thank you for mentioning the french toast (because it's a new recipe from Mary), the sangria (because we all love it too!) and the ice cream (because Mike makes it fresh every Wednesday through the summer--even when he's swamped with other work!!) Thanks for the great review--we look forward to seeing you again soon!--Mike and Sandy and the Whole Bayfront Marin House Staff