“The difference between the town homes and the Honeymoon/Anniversary Suite”
Review of The Cozy Inn

The Cozy Inn
Ranked #2 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Tampa, Florida
“The difference between the town homes and the Honeymoon/Anniversary Suite”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I planned a birthday road trip with my husband and our dog to travel from Tampa to St. Augustine, then to travel on to Savannah and then back to St. Augustine. I booked the anniversary suite for both stays but when we got back from Savannah we were informed that another room had developed a water pipe leak and they had to move someone into the Honeymoon/Anniversary suite. So I have the opportunity to review both rooms.

The Honeymoon/Anniversary Suite was very spacious, clean and comfortably furnished. I have to say however that my back ached the next day so I checked out the mattress. Yes, it's a bit saggy. So when I heard they switched us to a town home on our return stay, I didn't complain. The town homes are just as spacious, clean and comfortably furnished as the Suite. The only thing missing was the big bath tub that you get with the Suite. In fact, there are no bath tubs in the town homes - just a small shower stall that's not much bigger than a ship's shower. The bed in the town home was perfect and if I stayed there again, I would save money and just get one of the the town homes. There is an unfortunate element that doesn't make these town home rooms perfect. That is the A/C/Heat unit. It is situated right next to the bed, and the vents, which don't move, blows the air right across the bed. I ended up pulling the curtains over the unit but worried that it might scorch, or worse, set fire to the curtains, so I just ended up turning it off and letting the downstairs unit heat the upstairs. That worked fine but I don't think this system would work very well in the summer when you retrying to cool off an area where heat rises to the top floor.

The hotel is about 3/4 of a mile from the historic downtown area and I may opt to stay a bit closer next time I visit St. Augustine. It's not a bad walk from the hotel and if you're really not wanting to or able to walk, there is plenty of parking in the down town area.

I'll say one other thing about this hotel property that further explains the rating I gave it. Normally, I would give this property a rating of excellent in spite of the slightly sagging mattress and the A/C unit. But I'm going to dock it a rating for the experience I had when checking in. I walked into the front office to check in and was greeted by a snarling, growling dog. I did my best Cesar Milan of ignoring this dog and the whole time I was filling out forms and getting info from the desk clerks, this dog had his nose to my shoes sniffing. It was unnerving and needless to say, extremely unprofessional for any business.

Room Tip: In the winter, I would choose the town home over the Suite. In the summer, get the Suite. See my r...
4 Thank SummerTraveler34678
Neil B, Owner at The Cozy Inn, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
I have to begin by thanking you for such detailed feedback. We take all feedback very seriously and act upon suggestions and comments as appropriate. We are happy that you enjoyed the Honeymoon Suite and the Townhouse and thank you for your flexibility as we dealt with our old piping and replaced it with new. All is working wonderfully - we are happy to say. We took your feedback on the mattress in the Honeymoon Suite seriously. We have a soft Cuddlebed Padding on it and it's possible that's not needed. Given that it's the Honeymoon Suite :) we will also check carefully and if it needs to be replaced - we will do that immediately. We have just replaced three mattresses as we update our rooms - and will be glad to replace this one too if needed. We will also check on the AC/Heating Unit. We try to make sure we have two units in the suites and townhouses so that the AC or Heat can be adjusted as needed for the comfort of our guests. This is the first feedback that I can remember that we have received regarding the ac units and I will check on any possible necessary improvements.
I'm sorry you had less than a positive experience upon check in. This is the first comment of this type also - and we will speak with our Managers. Ruffus has always been a gentle animal and our guests seem to try and pet him so he is probably accustomed to saying a big "hello!". I noticed that you mentioned that you had a dog with you also. I have had a dog too - and sometimes dogs react differently to the sight or smell of another dog - and some reactions can happen - but regardless - Ruffus stays behind a doggie gate and should not make our guests feel uncomfortable. I apologize as it appears it affected you enough to impact your opinion of our Inn and it is our goal to make sure our guests feel comfortable and safe. Again - thank you for your feedback and we will work always to continually improve.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We really enjoyed this place. We stayed in the suite and enjoyed the spaciousness and the designated off-street parking space, but it was a little far from downtown for walking to and from restaurants and the major attractions. You have to pay to park anywhere downtown in St. Augustine, so having a hotel close to the main attractions would be much more convenient. As to the place, it was clean and neat and the people manning the place were very nice. Next time I would prefer to be closer to town in a smaller place.

Room Tip: Great if you like a lot of room and and big bath tub
1 Thank TMWalters504
Neil B, Owner at The Cozy Inn, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Hello there and thank you for comments. From your description it appears that you stayed in our Executive/Honeymoon Suite as this is the suite that offers the full kitchen, living room, bedroom and large Roman Tub. We are proud to say that this suite is "tops" for those who want something very different, romantic and or spacious. We also offer other suites and townhomes as well as standard rooms at all types of prices based on our guests wants and needs. Perhaps you will give us another try in a different accommodation - we would appreciate that. We are happy you enjoyed your designated parking, the spaciousness of the suite, the cleanliness and the friendliness of our Managers and Staff. That type of recognition is what makes us #1 - and believe me - it's not easy to get that type of rating! We do try so hard. Also - if you try us again - please ask about the trolley - they will pick you up at the Inn and along with not having to worry about parking - it's a great way to tour and learn more about our wonderful city! Oh - and we now have Pedi-cabs! That can be fun too! We truly hope you will come back and see us again!
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed January 17, 2014

I originally had a reservation for Thursday, January 2, 2014 for the Cozy Inn. I was supposed to go to a wedding in Jacksonville the next day, so I thought a day trip in St. Augustine would be fun. Due to car trouble, I was unable to drive up that day and could not stay at the hotel. The hotel does have a cancellation policy and I was afraid I would be charged for something that was entirely out of my control. I called the night before from the mechanic's shop and the manager was awesome. She was very nice and helpful. She said that the inn had been very busy and that there was a good possibility that someone would rent the room. If someone did, I would not be charged. Even if someone did not, she would only charge me $25, which was way better than paying for a room I could not stay in. I was very pleased with her understanding and willingness to help.

Currently planning another trip to St. Augustine and I know where i'll be staying :)

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Natoya A
Neil B, Owner at The Cozy Inn, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Wow- I have to think that this is a first - a review from someone who didn't stay with us!! But when I read your wonderful comments, I realize that this review said so much about our Inn, our Staff and our motto that we will take care and care for our guests in all ways possible. We are a small family owned property and when a room is reserved we are most probably sending other potential guests away. But in all cases we do our best to re-rent the room and save our guests the expense. We can't always do that - but do our best to minimize any negative impact to our guests. In your case - you were also dealing with a disappointment (and mechanics!) so we are so happy that you agree you were treated with the respect and compassion we all hope for. Please come see us though - we look forward to meeting you in person! Thank you so much for your kind words.
Lenoir City, TN
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Stayed in regular room, not a suite. Small but very comfortable and warm-inviting. Very efficient use of space. Super clean and well maintained. All the conveniences including flat screen, updated bath, and room furnishings. Fridge and microwave. Christina and Rita were so hospitable and helpful as manager and assistant manager. Close to trolley stop. Geo & Susan, Tennessee

Room Tip: Rooms in the back, not located on side street should be quieter.
1 Thank gpcIII
Neil B, Owner at The Cozy Inn, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Thank you both for such great, positive and detailed comments about your stay in our standard room! We are glad you found it just what you needed - comfortable, clean and "Cozy"! We try to offer what our guests might need while spending a weekend or a few days with some additional conveniences in a well maintained and comfortable environment. Rita and Christina are wonderful and we are so happy you met them! I would want them to great me where I stayed too!
Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts!
Brentwood, New Hampshire
Reviewed January 15, 2014

We spent one night at the Cozy Inn. I probably would not have chosen it since I don't usually like "motels," but it was the highest rated accommodation in St. Augustine on Trip Advisor and at the price I thought it was worth giving it a try for a one night stay. It is a 50's Motel style in that the rooms open to the parking lot. Our room was rather small but fine for a brief stay. The furnishings are modest but include a mini-fridge and microwave. The motel is very well maintained and clearly well cared for. The person who checked us in was very friendly and offered much information about events and activities in the area. The Inn is a reasonable walk (15-20 minutes) from the heart of the historic district.

2 Thank Dr_Marc_Wilson
Neil B, Owner at The Cozy Inn, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
We are very happy that you decided to try us and that you were so pleased! We try very hard to offer accommodations that match the wallet of all of our potential guests and offer the standard rooms when all you need is a clean comfortable cozy place to lay your head down and our suites and townhouses for those who need a bit more space with more of the comforts of home. Thank you for commenting on how well our Inn is maintained and well cared for. We do try so very hard. It seems we always have a new project going on! We all appreciate your comment about our Manager/Asst. Manager who both try and get a feel for what you want to see and where you might want to eat - and then make suggestions to help. We all know that we would want that type of assistance if we visited a new town. Thank you once more and we hope you will stay with us again soon.
Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Cozy Inn Motel for a weekend and we were impressed. It was very clean, the staff was very friendly and helpful. Don't let the word Motel keep you from this gem. The location is perfect. It is close to historic down town, shops, restaurants yet not in the middle of the hustle and bustle. It's perfect! Thank you to all the staff for making our stay a great experience.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ricky Teri C
Neil B, Owner at The Cozy Inn, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
We love being called a "Gem"!!!! Thank you so very much for such strong and positive comments! We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, found our location to be what you needed, found your accommodation very clean and that our Staff helped make your stay even better! Really - thank you so much for taking the time to share this feedback. It makes such a difference for us and our Staff! We hope to see you again soon..............
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
Reviewed January 11, 2014

My father and I stayed here in a one bedroom suite while visiting friends in St. Augustine. It was perfect for us! I gave my father the bedroom - and I slept on the pull out couch in the living room. We only stayed one night - but it was so nice. Christine was delightful on check-in, and we were delighted to find our suite was more like a small apartment, directly across the street! Our suite included a lovely front porch with wicker furniture. The kitchenette - was a full kitchen actually - though we didn't need it. We were quite comfortable and I could have enjoyed staying here for a week.... Our friends were part of a (sell out) convention group at the Renaissance at World of Golf roughly 20 minutes north. - We could have stayed at MANY hotel/motels closer to them - however I chose this for the reviews and the 'suite' set up and price - - and by way of high praise - want to say - so glad we stayed here! It was so much more relaxing - and spotlessly clean - just a far better experience.

Room Tip: we were in suite 31. This featured a front porch with wicker furniture - in effect, another 'ro...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank ldm010
Neil B, Owner at The Cozy Inn, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
What wonderful comments! We are so grateful to you for taking the time to write in for us! We are very glad you and your Dad had a good time with us and enjoyed your stay. That front porch in Suite 31 is a favorite of mine too. Christina is terrific and works so hard to make sure our guests have all they need - thank you for recognizing her efforts! We'd love for you to come back and spend some time with us and bring those friends along too! :) Seriously, come back and relax on that porch - we'd love to see you again! Take Care and Safe Travels!