“Great Staff, but-”
Review of The Cozy Inn

The Cozy Inn
Ranked #2 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Careful what website you use to book this place. One says it's a bed and breakfast and talks about all sorts of lovely amenities...it's not. They told me that website was supposed to be down, but it was up as late as 4/8 because that's the day I made my reservation. I expected a nice room with a nice bath, close to the trolly tour so I didn't have to drive, and a good breakfast, a relaxing dip in the pool... I COULD have booked the Best Western next door- and should have.

I arrived to find the room extremely tiny- less than 2 feet all around the bed- not even a door on the "closet" dent in the wall. The doorknob was stripped and only opened with the key. There was no tub, no pool, no hot tub, and worst of all, NO BREAKFAST. The decor was pretty tacky (lots of silk flowers, and they must have gotten a really good deal on this really ugly bluish/grayish/greenish carpet because it was in every room whose interior I saw). It was more like Motel 6. The staff was apologetic and bent over backwards to make up for the "bad website". First- they brought me a bottle of wine. I chose to give them the benefit of the doubt about that claim, but told them that I came up to relax for 2 days and rented with them because it was supposed to have BREAKFAST- as well as all the average amenities. I told them to please cancel my reservation, and I would go next door. It was $20 more a night, but had everything I was looking for- even if the breakfast wasn't home made, it was at least right there. They asked me to give them one more chance and have a look at another room they wanted to offer me at the same rate, to make up for it. It was across the street and upstairs in another building, but it was a large suite with a king sized bed and jacuzzi tub as well as a full kitchen. No nylon bedspread, but still plenty of silk flowers (why?- yuck).Plenty of privacy and space. I agreed to the upgrade and unpacked, since that tub looked so inviting- even though the jets didn't work (it was big enough for 2 and I was after a good soak). The "full kitchen" had no pots and pans. No parking space assigned to that room- they wanted me to park on the street in a non-marked area. On San Marco, that's an invitation to have your car smashed. I declined, they decided I could park behind the building in one of the spaces reserved for their townhouses (which weren't booked). As I was really tired and they were really nice, AND I do like to support local businesses, I decided to keep the room and get in that tub. It was great despite the lack of jets. The wine was horrible- I left it in the fridge. The big inviting king sized bed? It was a rock with a pretty duvet. Even the pillows were hard! They were very suprized to hear me say this the next morning, but I have the sore neck and back to prove it. The couch was way more comfortable and I actually slept on it the second night. So- it you are into kitsch and tacky/cute little local motels- stay here. It was clean as a whistle and the staff couldn't possibly be nicer. But if you are looking for a semi- cooshy bed and breakfast- steer clear.

Room Tip: the condos and the house across the street have good space. They also cost more. The little rooms ne...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank mickeybirt
Neil B, Owner at The Cozy Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2013

Thank you for noticing how clean we are and how wonderful our Manager and Staff were in their many attempts to accomodate you. However, we are extremely confused as to your expectations. No where have we ever said we have a pool. No where have we ever said we have bath tubs in our (most economical ) standard rooms, one of which you reserved, although these rooms do have brand new oversized showers. No where do we say we have a hot tub. Once the staff learned you were not satisfied, they offered you a bottle of wiine from our local award wining St. Augustine Winery. After that, they offered to upgrade you at no extra charge to one of our Deluxe Suites. In the 14 years since we built our establishment we have never had a complaint about that exeptional suite. We realize, after so many years, that we cannot please everyone...... but we will most certainly continue trying.
The Owner, Manager and Staff of The Cozy Inn

Write a ReviewReviews (1,040)

Reviewed April 6, 2013

My husband and I and our dog travel often, and have stayed in various hotel chains. The Cozy Inn was recommended to us by another hotel chain in St. Augustine that did not welcome pets. They said of the three pet friendly hotels in the area, close to the historic district, they highly recommended the Cozy Inn. We are MOST thankful that they did! The rooms were spotless and beautifully maintained. The hotel staff were very friendly and accommodating! The room was small, but we were not in St. Augustine to sit in our room. The location to the historic district was closer than I had imagined. Overall, this was a fantastic stay, and we plan on telling everyone that we know about this gem of a place!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank KellyM189
Neil B, Owner at The Cozy Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2013

We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us! And thank you so much for your positive comments about our Inn, the wonderful people who work with us and the cleanliness we strive so hard to maintain. We put no time limits on our housekeepers so that they have all the time they need to make sure your rooms are clean, comfortable and ready for you (and your pet) upon your arrival. You saw how much we care, you experienced how we strive to be the best and know how blessed we are with our Staff! Pleae come again soon and thank you, deeply, for your comments and recommendation!
The Owner, Manager and Staff of The Cozy inn

Reviewed April 4, 2013

My husband and I were very impressed with this lovely Inn. It was spotless and so well managed. The staff and owners were so friendly and helpful . We would go out of our way to return to this lovely gem.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Neil B, Owner at The Cozy Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

Hello to our friends from Canada! Thank you so much for taking the time to review The Cozy Inn! We enjoyed having you stay with us and are happy you found us to be clean, comfortable and Cozy! And if you " will go out of your way to stay with us again " we will continue to go out of our way to see that you are happy! Thank you so much for adding us to our stay in the States and please stay with us again soon! Thank you Toronto!

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Very clean and the staff was wonderful! I stayed here for my anniversary and asked if they could have flowers in place when we arrived, and what a wonderful bouquet they go for us. Everything was ready to go and looking great when we checked in. It was right down the street from the trolley which made for an easy way to get around the city. I would defiantly stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Neil B, Manager at The Cozy Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

Thank you so much for your comments - and for choosing to celebrate your Anniversary with us! When you start your review by saying you will return to us again the next time you are in St. Augustine we are thrilled and complimented - and motivated! We love it when our guests ask for those things that will help make their stay extra special - like flowers! In a world were we all work hard (and believe me we do!) all of us have to take some time to celebrate those special occasions with a special getaway. Thank you so much for choosing us for your celebration! We hope you will return soon and allow us to make another visit extra special! Take Care of Each Other!

Reviewed April 2, 2013

It is truly a cozy place. We were in #14 for three nights last week. Very clean and comfortable but small. Staff is the best, very helpful. Location is excellent too. Walking distance to Old Town Trolley or Red Train. Jaybirds is around the corner and you can pick up a discount card at the office. Highly recommended!

1  Thank mguill1224
Neil B, Owner at The Cozy Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

What a great comment heading - Cozy and Excellent! We are humbled by comments such as yours. This is what we strive for. this is what makes our efforts worthwhile. We are "Cozy" too - especially our Standard Rooms. They are all that is needed when you are out all day and need a comfortable and clean place to lay your head down, with the comforts of home - new bathrooms and fluffy towels and comfy bedding. And your comments about our staff are so very much apreciated - we agree - they are all "the best"! Come back to us soon! We appreciate your comments and we appreciate you!

Reviewed April 2, 2013

I've traveled extensively in the past decade and have rarely found a wonderful gem like The Cozy Inn in my travels. For Easter, I met my fiancee there and she was stunned to see the Suite and the layout of the rooms for the price.
The staff was wonderful, welcoming and very attentive to our needs... a minor miracle it seems lately. They even supplied us with newbie information about dining and local attractions.
Granted, it is about a mile from the Center of the Historic District... but that is just a good stretch of the legs for someone in fair health.

We stayed in Suite 31, which is one of the larger accomodations... but well worth the extra money. We will definitely return soon.... My fiancee is adamant about that!!!

Room Tip: The Suites are our only point of reference.... We stayed in #31.... It was GREAT!
Neil B, Owner at The Cozy Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

Wow - with your travel experience we are truly complimented by your comments! To say that your suite was wonderful and all that you wanted and that the staff was welcoming and took good care of you is all we can ask for. And you are absolutely right - to find the kind of caring and friendly and hard working staff we have is truly a minor miracle and we try so hard to make them realize how much we appreciate them! We are happy that your fiance loved us too! I think you may have another visit to us in your future - perhaps a getaway from the stresses of pre-wedding efforts and then ofcourse ongoing after the celebration! If your fiance loved us - follow her lead - before I met my wife I always heard the saying "a happy wife is a happy life" and you know what - it's more than a little bit true! See you soon!

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Just returned from a few quiet and restful days spent at the Cozy Inn in St Augustine, before embarking on a hectic family holiday in Orlando. Clean, comfortable and excellent value! Our town house was superb, everything needed was provided. Staff were very helpful and made us feel so welcome. An easy drive to all the attractions of St Augustine. Somewhere we would certainly recommend and will return to.

Neil B, Owner at The Cozy Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

Hello to another friend from the United Kingdom! We are happy that you found some peace, comfort and rest before your family vacation in Orlando! And it is so good to hear that our Manager and Staff took great care of you! We have one question though - why not come back again "after" your family vacation! You're going to need it :) Seriously - thank you so much and please return to us soon. We hope to visit your country too one day! Safe Travels to you and your family!