“Great Location”

Ranked #22 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Key West, Fl
“Great Location”
Reviewed December 13, 2006

My husband, 6 month old son, and I were passing through and had one afternoon and night to spend in St. Augustine. We decided to stay at the BW Spanish Quarter Inn because of its great location near St. George Street. The hotel itself was exactly what I expected. Clean, average size room with new carpet (which was a plus- nothing creeps me out more than nasty hotel carpet)! The staff was friendly enough, though we hardly had the time to speak to them.

After shopping and sighseeing the afternoon away we were pleased to find a casual, family friendly restuarant right next door to the hotel. It was called Barnicle Bills. They had some of the best fried shrimp I'd had in years!

I would recommend this hotel for anyone passing through, wanting a great location and a resonable rate. However, not for couples wanting anything romantic or memorable.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Breakfast was nothing to write home about and the bathrooms are teeny, tiny.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank cudjoekid

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
sc
Reviewed September 26, 2006

Great location and great rooms. Always have found it clean the number of times we have stayed here. Perfect for walking in the downtown area. The only down thing if there is one is the parking on the office side of building is very tight, large cars need to go to the other side. Great staff !

• Liked — Location!
  • Disliked — one of the parking lots is small
  • Stayed August 2005, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank motorycle
Bradenton
Reviewed September 25, 2006

If you've never been to St. Augustine, the initial drive into the city and to the hotel is a little disconcerting and certainly missing the greatness the inner city has to offer. We pulled into the very small parking lot of this motel, which is directly across from a huge parking garage that was under construction. The inner alarms were sounding! Fortunately, though, we were pleasantly surprised by the proximity to the area attractions. The visitor's center is directly beside the motel and you can catch either of the tour trains with a very short walk.
We stayed at the motel with our three children, ages 7, 4, and 15 months. The room was small but clean and certainly fit our purposes. The kids loved the pool and the hot tub, although it is located in the parking lot beside the trash bins.
If views are important to you, this is not the place to stay. If you're looking for an affordable place to lay your head at night after a busy day of sightseeing, I would recommend this property to you.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The surrounding buildings of the property. You definitely felt you were in a motel with no luxury whatsoever
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't have incredibly high expectations. If you're in St. Augustine to be active and out of the hotel for the majority of the time, this is the place for you.
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
6 Thank melvisb1
Reviewed July 29, 2006

The absolutely best part about staying at this hotel was the location. You are within walking distance to just about everything.

Check-in/check-out was smooth and friendly, and the continental breakfast came in handy in the morning.

Overall I would describe the room itself as OKAY. I agree with other posts...the rooms are small, especially the bathroom. To me, how clean the entire space is, whether small or large, is what determines if I would stay at this hotel again. In our case, the bed linens were very clean, however, I noticed the television had not been moved (in a while), because the area behind it was covered in dust, and also a cobweb on one of the wall sconces. Even though the rest of the room seemed clean, I would prefer to stay at another hotel next time.

• Stayed July 2006
3 Thank emalemi
Cloudland, GA
Reviewed July 9, 2006

The rooms are small, but we did have a fridge and microwave. The free breakfast everyday is cereal, juice, coffee, muffins and bagels. That's it. It has a small pool. It is close to the historic district so you can save gas by walking to a lot of sites. The bathroom is very small. I wouldn't recommend it to couples sharing. I left the bathroom door open while I showered & you have to get dressed outside the bathroom. The room was cleaned everyday but I don't think they changed the sheets or scrubbed the tub, just a rinse. This would have really made me mad if it was a more upscale hotel, but it is on the cheaper end.

• Stayed July 2006
2 Thank gamommy
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed May 21, 2006

The rooms are very cute, not the usual hotel furnishings. Our room had a mini fridge and microwave. It was quiet and clean. Lovely vanity area! They have a pool and jacuuzi as well as washer and dryer unit for those needing to do a load of clothes or two. Good continental breakfast.
The only negative thing I can say was that the bathrooms are tiny.
Checkout was interesting-no problems really, but please speak clearly to the person checking you out. The woman who check us out the next morning misunderstood the room number I told her and ended up checking out the wrong room as a result. She was nice enough but insisted I told her the wrong room number. (...why would I do that?)

Anyway, rest assured, you'll be pleasantly surprised when you see your room. The location is great as you are right next to the welcome center. It's an easy 1 block walk to all the happenings in St Augustine!

• Stayed May 2006