“Great hotel, perfect location with friendly staff!”

Best Western Spanish Quarters Inn
Ranked #25 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on a Saturday night and were so happy to be located in such a convenient location, which was very close to downtown. The room was very clean, cool for the middle of summer, and the bed super comfy! We really enjoyed how friendly the front desk staff was to us. Sheri could not be more friendly and helpful. She was able to book us tickets for a sold out ghost tour/pub crawl, which ended up being a lot of fun, especially for a first-timer! Of course, I loved the continental breakfast. You can't beat freshly made waffles. I would definitely stay here again when I come out to visit from California again. Thank you!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Artie S, General Manager at Best Western Spanish Quarters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

We're so glad you came and enjoyed yourself! The beds are brand new and really are comfortable! Make your own waffles is a lot of fun isn't it?
We have expanded our weekend breakfast offering to include other hot items such as cheese omelets, biscuits and sausage gravy!
We certainly hope you come see us again and see what other renovations we have ready for you!
Thanks!

Reviewed September 16, 2013

I had two computers taken from my room at the Spanish Quarters motel while I was out sightseeing. They were left charging and had been placed out of the main area in the room and put off to the side. The room was maintained by the housekeeping staff in my absence. The room showed no evidence of forced entry.Nothing else was taken from the room except the two computers. Police were called and a report taken. Turns out the " state of the art" surveillance equipment only records a portion of the rooms and those room weren't covered and the system that records key entry into and out of the room wasn't working for the entire facility and "the staff is all loyal and would never do such a thing". After numerous contacts, pass offs and blow offs to various entities in Best Western and their insurance companies a form letter arrived today "NOT BEST WESTERN"s LIABLIITY". implying that it was my fault. I have travelled extensively for business and pleasure in the US and overseas and have never had a problem of this kind or been treated this badly except at this facility. There are many lodging facilities in St Augustine, many in the same price range and in the same area as this one, so chose this one at your own risk.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Joe E

These types of events are disheartening. We do everything we can to ensure a quality stay for all guests and we take security to ourselves and our guests seriously. Our staff is loyal and many of them have been with us for over 10 years without incident. There are many possibilities for what could have happened and we explored all options available to us to determine what may have happened. Unfortunately, nothing could be determined with 100% certainty. Globally, other hotels face similar situations and sometimes still can't come up with definitive answers.
We appreciate your stay with us.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Hey we went to St. Augustine for a very popular festival...tough to get a good price of course, in a small town and one event! The Best Western was modernized, very clean, new carpets and great beds, clean public space! The staff, EVERYONE!!!, was sweet, knowledgable, accommodating for us out of towers....they sent emails to fill us in onthe very busy weekend....offered tips and lots of local love! We travel all the time for our work and play and we r from South Florida! The Best Western was wonderful! Beyond their stars! Newly decorated,renovated rooms! Beds equal to other high end chains for a fraction of the price! Very Very clean! After years of the "big" brands we are appreciating the small time hotels with lots of local love (like BEST WESTERN ST AUGIE!!) Many thanks!
Colleen Coate and all the festivarians we hung with also who stayed, played, and loved you guys!

Room Tip: all are remodeled and great!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Artie S, General Manager at Best Western Spanish Quarters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Thank you so much! We're so happy you came and enjoyed yourself! It was a great weekend and we wanted to be sure we weren't a reason for disappointment! I'm glad the emails helped you be prepared too!
We certainly hope you come back again! We have more updates and renovations coming!

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We stayed here for a midweek vacation. The people were friendly and quite helpful. The rooms were recently updated and the beds were comfortable, the sheets clean and crisp and the room smelled and looked clean. The only issue I had was how small the bathroom was.

I would stay there again and plan to when I visit again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Artie S, General Manager at Best Western Spanish Quarters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Thank you for coming and giving us some feedback! We love hearing from our guests!
We are continuing with our renovation and hope to have an even better hotel for you on your next visit!
We all agree the bathrooms are small. The building is about 50 years old and this is how they were back then!
We can't wait to see you again!

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Most of the reviews sound like a broken record...."needs updating". I agree with that. The hotel is on the older side, but I think it adds to the charm, since St Augustine is "old" as a whole.

The rooms were spacious and clean. It had a microwave, mini fridge, Direct TV, iron and board. The breakfast was excellent in my opinion. Biscuits, gravy, sausage, eggs, cereals, pastries and muffins.

Everyone in the staff was super friendly. I called them directly to book, called them again to let them know I was a late arrival. They also helped me out with directions the next day. Always with a smile.

The hotel does charge a 5 dollar a day parking fee. But parking in St Augustine is BRUTAL.....so the 5 bucks seemed like a good deal considering most public parking lots are 10 bucks a day and the hotel is within walking distance to most attractions. So you can park your car and walk everywhere. I checked out and left my car at the hotel until mid afternoon so I could get some more sight seeing in before I left town.

Don't expect a fancy hotel.....just a decent, clean place, centrally located with a great staff.

Room Tip: If you stay towards the front, you will hear cars passing by. If possible request a room toward the...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Artie S, General Manager at Best Western Spanish Quarters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Thank you for the feedback! But YOU are the star of our hotel! We try to give everyone a great stay and do our best to make everyone feel welcome!
I'm so glad to hear you tried our new hot menu items on our breakfast! We're trying this out for the first time in years and are limiting it to weekends and special days only. We want to make sure we're getting it right!
We can't wait for you to come back again and have an even better stay!
Thanks again!

Reviewed September 2, 2013

This past July made my 35th trip to St. Augustine. My favorite city and vacation spot. After 34 trips of staying at the same hotel until the owner passed and then staying at the Hilton Bayfront, which we did NOT care for due to rude staff and the allowance of anyone off the streets to enter the hotel, we decided to stay elsewhere.

I have never not stayed at a hotel with a bay view. We love waking up to the sun rising over the bay with the fort on one side and the bridge on the other. There is nothing more beautiful!!

So, this year (July 2013) we decided to stay at the Best Western Spanish Quarter Inn. We stay at a Best Western when we travel to Myrtle Beach so why not stay there this time.

I am so glad that we did!!!!! We didn't have our bay view or the fort to look at; but we did have a very clean and newly remodeled room with a fridge, the most amazing and accommodating front desk staff, a great breakfast in the morning, and wonderful housekeeping.

The rooms were quiet, even the guests who stayed there were friendly and polite. We all chatted at breakfast about our day a head or what we did the night before. The hotel is located about a block from the city gate, and if you ride the trolley or train you had numerous stops to choose from that ran by this hotel. We didn't even care that we were no longer on the main street with a bay view, because we had the nicest people running this hotel and spoke with the friendliest people staying there. In this world of cold unfriendly people we found a little piece of heaven at this Best Western. Yes, this is our favorite city in the world, but it was the employees of this hotel that made our stay so great.

When my husband checked in, the front desk said to please excuse the curtains in the room. That they were next to be replaced. There was nothing wrong with the curtains. The room was perfect the way it was.

Before I end this I must comment on and compliment the housekeeping staff. They went above and beyond. Our daughter in 13 and she brought several of her stuffed animals on this trip. I am one of those people that clean the room before housekeeping comes in (haha), so I would place her animals out of the way so they would not have to deal with them. Each evening when we returned to our room our room was spotless as usual with soaps nicely displayed. But what really touched us was whoever did our room, always arranged her stuffed animals in a new way every day on the bed. I had to comment to the hotel manager. I told him that Disney had competition!!! Disney always displays kids toys and stuffed animals in a fun way. And whoever did our room was up there with Disney.

All I can say is to give this little hotel a try. You will not be disappointed. Where else can you go in this rush and hurry rude world an feel like part of a family.

Room Tip: Any room would be good. There is no elevator, so if you can not walk the steps you might want the f...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

What a great review from a great guest! We loved having you come stay with us and are so glad to have given you such a memorable stay!
When you come back, you'll find that we really have updated even more! We're adding hot items to our breakfast menu on the weekends and we're going to be replacing the bathroom tile!
It's great to hear from such wonderful people, telling us how we did! We can't wait for you to come back so we can take care of you again!
Thank you so much!

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Perfect spot for the one night we spent in St. Augustine. The beds were very comfortable and the staff helpful. the breakfast was on the minimalist side but adequate. The location was perfect for walking all around the historic district and the still very quiet.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Ruth, thanks for coming to our hotel! So glad you enjoyed your stay! During the week, we do offer the standard Best Western Continental breakfast and also include hard boiled eggs and make your own waffles. On the weekends, we're now trying out a hot menu! Please come back on a weekend and give us a try! You'll find the same eager, helpful staff that wants to give you a quality stay! You'll also find we've done even more renovations done!
We can't wait for you to come back!
Thank you!