I had reserved a short 4 day stay at the Best Western - Spanish Quarters located in St. Augustine, Florida. I had read that this location was within walking distance to all the attractions and it was... this is the only good thing i have to say.
The start was as bad as you can imagine! The reservation was made via Priceline.com months in advance. On the day of check in during my 12 hour drive, i had called the hotel to inform them that we were running late and would be checkingin after 11P as well as to confirm our room with 2 beds, i was traveling with my wife and 2 kids. The manager confirmed and assured my room would be ready and waiting for us.
My family arrived a few minutes before midnight. The first sign of bad things to come was that the lobby had been locked and that ALL business and issues had to be conducted through a bullet proof window on the side of the building. I gave my name to the clerk and informed her i was checking in, to my surprise her answer was "sir your room was given to another family and we have only 1 room left...it is a single king bed. I know this will be a inconvenience, but that is all we have. By the way ALL hotels in the area are all booked solid so we can't even switch you to another location!"
The next few minutes was spent recapping my conversation with the day manager as well as showing the confirmation/reservation for 2 beds, all to no avail. The first night, in this rather expensive crappy hotel, i spent on the floor. The next day i spoke to Chrissy, another manager, and was moved to a room with 2 beds. Other than not sleeping on the floor the room was still crappy.
Describing the rooms as cramped maybe an overstatement. There is barely enough room for one person to walk from the front door to the bathroom located in the back of the room. The rug was filthy. Speaking of the bathrooms, I have seen bathtubs bigger. The shower and toilet are so close together that, I am a medium size 5'8" and 175lbs, sitting on the toilet my left leg is wedge to the side of the tub while my right leg is jammed to the side of the door jams. Forget about closing the doors to this bathroom, cant't be done. The airconditioning unit is from the early 80's, complete with smell, sound, and twist knobs.
The hot breakfast was a joke....it was a waffle maker and a toaster that's it!
As if things weren't bad enough, the male day manager whose shift apparently starts at 7A comes to work promptly at 6:45. I know this because he really likes to drive his Harley, complete with modified exhaust, to work and has NO consideration for sleeping guest. 6:45AM each and every day of the 4 days that i was there...what an (--)!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Come stay at the newly renovated Best Western Spanish Quarter Inn! We're in the heart of the nation's oldest city. We have comfortable, petite rooms and breakfast is included. You can even enjoy complimentary room service! We are walking distance to St. George Street, Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum, the Lightner Museum and the Castillo de San Marcos. We provide leisure travelers with affordable and comfortable accommodations. Sightseeing trains conveniently stop right in front or our property. Nestled in downtown St. Augustine, the Best Western Spanish Quarter Inn offers all the conveniences you need for a pleasant vacation. You can also relax in our refreshing pool or stare at the stars in our whirlpool! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Best Western, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick and HotelQuickly so you can book your Best Western Spanish Quarters Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Spanish Quarter Hotel Saint Augustine
- Best Western Saint Augustine
- Saint Augustine Best Western