“The Girls Family Trip”

Best Western Spanish Quarters Inn
Ranked #22 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Bel Air, Maryland
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I had reserved a short 4 day stay at the Best Western - Spanish Quarters located in St. Augustine, Florida. I had read that this location was within walking distance to all the attractions and it was... this is the only good thing i have to say.
The start was as bad as you can imagine! The reservation was made via Priceline.com months in advance. On the day of check in during my 12 hour drive, i had called the hotel to inform them that we were running late and would be checkingin after 11P as well as to confirm our room with 2 beds, i was traveling with my wife and 2 kids. The manager confirmed and assured my room would be ready and waiting for us.
My family arrived a few minutes before midnight. The first sign of bad things to come was that the lobby had been locked and that ALL business and issues had to be conducted through a bullet proof window on the side of the building. I gave my name to the clerk and informed her i was checking in, to my surprise her answer was "sir your room was given to another family and we have only 1 room left...it is a single king bed. I know this will be a inconvenience, but that is all we have. By the way ALL hotels in the area are all booked solid so we can't even switch you to another location!"
The next few minutes was spent recapping my conversation with the day manager as well as showing the confirmation/reservation for 2 beds, all to no avail. The first night, in this rather expensive crappy hotel, i spent on the floor. The next day i spoke to Chrissy, another manager, and was moved to a room with 2 beds. Other than not sleeping on the floor the room was still crappy.
Describing the rooms as cramped maybe an overstatement. There is barely enough room for one person to walk from the front door to the bathroom located in the back of the room. The rug was filthy. Speaking of the bathrooms, I have seen bathtubs bigger. The shower and toilet are so close together that, I am a medium size 5'8" and 175lbs, sitting on the toilet my left leg is wedge to the side of the tub while my right leg is jammed to the side of the door jams. Forget about closing the doors to this bathroom, cant't be done. The airconditioning unit is from the early 80's, complete with smell, sound, and twist knobs.
The hot breakfast was a joke....it was a waffle maker and a toaster that's it!
As if things weren't bad enough, the male day manager whose shift apparently starts at 7A comes to work promptly at 6:45. I know this because he really likes to drive his Harley, complete with modified exhaust, to work and has NO consideration for sleeping guest. 6:45AM each and every day of the 4 days that i was there...what an (--)!
Advice...go elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Moose21014
Artie S, General Manager at Best Western Spanish Quarters Inn, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you for coming to our hotel.
I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you encountered while at our hotel. It is completely out of the ordinary and unexpected. In my tenure at this property, I've never had a stay with such a bad start. I am glad that we managed to resolve your bedding types the following morning.
This property is 50 years old. Many modern hotels have larger space in the room and the bathroom. Our size is not something we can do anything about.
All rooms have brand new paint, carpet and furniture. We are moving forward with even more updates to our rooms.
Our breakfast is the minimum requirement standard for Best Western hotels. However, we have been working on expanding the menu and believe we will have a better offering available soon. We anticipate several different hot items to be added to the menu this month.
Thank you again for coming to our property.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed April 2, 2013

After parking our car by the hotel at 2:30 pm on March 31, 2013 I found a piece of medical equipment hanging on a metal guard post by our car in front of the hotel rooms. I knew what the equipment was and its value and knew the owner would be needing it. I turned it in at the front desk saying the owner must have forgot to place it in the car and would be needing it. The young woman at the front desk was very nice and helpful, she put it behind the desk. I stopped back in about 7:30 pm and she said no one had called yet looking for it. I was hoping she would have heard something by then. I checked out the following morning and again asked about the medical equipment. The man behind the front desk just said, "nothing here, I guess someone got it". I hope the owner did return and pick it up but who would know?? I would think that something like this would have been monitored a little better than a pair of sun glasses.
The bed was very comfortable, they do not offer newspapers but tell customers where they can go buy one. The coffee machine was not working the day we were there

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ferg1948
Thank you for telling us about your stay.
We do take care and pride with our guests and their belongings. Security for all of us is top priority. All lost and found are properly documented and followed up. This matter was handled correctly. The owner of the device did claim it the same evening, which is why it wasn't at the desk and the matter was closed before the following morning.
The coffee machine was handled as quickly as possible. This was a brand new machine that unexpectedly went down. The servicing company came out as promptly as possible and replaced it with a new one.
Thank you for coming to our hotel. We hope you enjoyed your stay and you will come back again.
St. Pete, FL
Reviewed March 27, 2013

The location is very good and guests can walk to almost everything. The staff here was remarkably wonderful. The manager, front desk staff and housekeeping staff were all friendly and helpful. I can't say that I have stayed anywhere that had such great people. The hotel itself is older and the rooms are ok. The bathroom is small but clean. If you want a fancy hotel - this isn't it but if you want to enjoy the city all day and come back to a comfortable place and a nice breakfast in the morning- this may be your spot.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Artie S, General Manager at Best Western Spanish Quarters Inn, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
We're glad you chose our hotel and posted about us.
We are a small property but big on heart. I'm glad our staff impressed you! We are located right at the historic district. So close to everything that most guests park their car and forget about it until ready to leave!
I do wish we had a larger space but unfortunately, we can't do anything about the physical nature of the property.
We're continuing to update the hotel and hope that when you return you will pick us again!
Thank you!
Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

Well the hotel was located in a very good spot, the other best western would be a better choice. The parking at this hotel was very limited and the breakfast offering below at best. Rooms are cramped and outdated. Next time I'll spend a few more dollars to get more ammanites.

• Stayed March 2013
Artie S, General Manager at Best Western Spanish Quarters Inn, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for telling us about your experience.
We are an older property, so the physical nature of the building is limiting. Compared to more recently built properties, we are smaller in the rooms and parking is certainly tight.
We do our best to accomodate and have spent a lot of time recently updating the hotel. We have new paint, carpet and furniture. More updates are coming soon!
Thank you again for coming and we do hope that you will pay us another visit to see how much more we've improved!
Georgia
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We booked through Priceline and got a $90/night rate (pretty good!). We asked for a quiet room and she was more than willing to arrange that for us - even though the hotel was booked full. The room was comfortable, everything was clean, and it was quiet as promised! The breakfast room is quite tiny - only four tables - and some had to eat their breakfast in the seating area in the lobby. The breakfast selection was good and standard options were available. Parking was $5/day, but it's so close to everything that this was a luxury and we walked everywhere! The lady who checked us in gave us some good suggestions for meals and was attentive. The housekeeping staff was extremely friendly and made a point of speaking to us every time they saw us - it was very refreshing!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for telling us about your stay! It was great having you here!
This hotel is right in the heart of all. So much so that most guests check in then leave their vehicles until they're ready to leave St. Augustine. Everything is right outside our doors!
It was a pleasure having you here and we look forward to your return!
Leland, North Carolina
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We chose this hotel on recommendation of a friend who had stayed there. We found it a perfect location for walling to a nearby trolley stop, to restaurants, and to historic St George St. The staff were very helpful and friendly. Our room was more than adequate, clean and good for a short stay. AS others said the tub/shower toilet area is very small but as long as it works we are fine. The breakfast area was great! A separate area to eat in and another area with the food. All foods were well stocked, with many choices, hot waffles, many kinds of boxed cereals, fruit, hot coffee, a refrigerator with yogurt, hard boiled eggs and milk. Also a plus a very friendly and helpful attendant on duty all during the breakfast hours. And my big plus hot cocoa mix!!
We did have dripping from our BR ceiling fan when we returned the second evening. We called the front desk and Sherry (who was helpful on our check in) came to our room with towels mop up the floor and left to investigate the source. We were on the first floor and figured it was coming from the room above. They had gotten water all over the floor drying a shower. She took care of them and offered to return to our room later. But when the dripping stopped we called and told her she did not need to return as we were going to bed. IT is an older motel so they sould fix that problem but no harm done at all.
Oh and the were in the process of replacing all the room furniture in the motel and our room had been done before we arrived.
We loved the location of this hotel and found it a great value for price!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Artie S, General Manager at Best Western Spanish Quarters Inn, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We do our best to take care of every guest's needs! I'm glad that Sheri took care of yours!
We are an older property and sometimes that shows. But we are doing our best to make it great experience and are continuing with our renovation process. All guest rooms have new paint, carpet and furniture. More great updates are coming including a broader breakfast offering!
We can't wait for you to come back and see what else we've done!
Thank you again!