“Good Experience”

Best Western Spanish Quarters Inn
Ranked #23 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
“Good Experience”
Reviewed October 26, 2011

First off let me say that this was the first trip for my wife and myself to St. Augustine ,so we were both a bit leery about choosing a hotel . We had a shuttle from Jacksonville drop us off at the hotel about 2 pm. We checked in with the desk guy Pete (very friendly). Got our keys and went up to our room. I noticed the stairs and walkways (all outside) were clean and free of debris ,even though it was a windy day. We opened the door to our non-smoking room and it really was free of any smoky smell. Yet there was a bit of a musty aroma as "gold68 chevy" had noted in their review .We chose to simply leave the door open for awhile as it was a cooler day anyway. The room was a good size with 2 twin beds, table and chairs, armoire and a half armoire . The sink and vanity are separate from the bathroom .The vanity was a very nice size which my wife really appreciated as she likes to spread her make-up, etc . out as she gets ready in the morning. As some others have stated the bathroom is a bit small which means you have to lean into the toilet area to close the door behind you, but not that big a deal. The shower was a nice size . The bathroom overall was dated ,could use new grout , but clean. There were plenty of clean towels . The beds have clean and fresh linen on them . We were pleased . One thing was missing though .We had asked for a fridge when we booked the room.There was no fridge. I went and talked to Pete at the front desk and asked about it and he truly turned red with embarrasment . He apologized and asked for our patience as the maintenance man had left for the day. He asked if we wanted to change rooms but we had mostly unpacked so we declined. Pete promised there would be one in our room the next morning . It arrived the next morning with the housekeeping staff and it looked brand new. Speaking of the housekeeping staff , they do a very good job of cleaning and leave the sheets with that little extra bit of folding flourish . The beds were a bit too stiff for my liking , but were clean and there were plenty of pillows. The air conditioner worked fine and was pretty quiet. We sat by the pool and spa everyday. They were both clean . It was a bit chilly outside so the pool was out for us but we sat in the spa. It could have been a lot warmer . This hotel has a nice continental breakfast : waffles,muffins,cereal,toast,bagels, fresh fruit, milk ,coffee and juice. Its served from 6am to10am. I had dealings with the manager Shari daily and she pleasantly provided me with all sorts of info and assistance. This hotel is in a great location ,within walking distance of many great sights such as the fort and Ripleys museum and trolley train ,also food and drink establishments. By the way there is a convenience store a few blocks north of the hotel for any miscellaneous stuff,beer,wine,band-aids,etc. I would definitely books this hotel again .Good rates and nice people.

2 Thank supremo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Brooksville, Florida
Reviewed October 8, 2011

We stayed 10/5 - 10/7/11 in Room 208. Upon arrival we were greeted by April at the front desk. Do to a bad experience at he Lakeside Inn located in Mount Dora, Fl., I asked to inspect the room before we checked in. She was more than willing to accommodate my request and concerns. The room was clean and so was the restroom. I did smell a little of musky smell but the cleaning lady sprayed something to remove the smell. All of the staff was very friendly and helpful with any questions that we had (examples: Good places to eat, extra towels). Both April and Pete Front Desk employees gave us discount coupons and menus for the local restaurants. Unforgettably I do not remember everyone's name but I believe the lady with the long blonde hair was the manager and she checked us out. When we checked out we still wanted to spend the day in Saint Augustine and she let us leave our vehicle parked there so we did not have to pay additional fee some where else. Everything was within a block walking distance. They have a nice continental breakfast. Coffee pot, hair dryers in the room. Outdoor pool and hot tub (which were all clean & nice). Two adults and two teenagers stayed in the room. I know it is impossible due to building design but the bathrooms could use a little more room in them. We parked the vehicle and walked the block to the City Gates or the block to the Ripley's Red Sight Seeing Train. I would recommend this hotel and would stay here the next trip. Pricing is much more reasonable than any other place that I checked. Thanks.

3 Thank gold68chevy
Miami, Florida
Reviewed October 3, 2011

I was looking for a cheap, decent hotel close to the historic district and that's what I got. There wasn't anything necessarily wrong with the place, there just wasn't anything great either. The breakfast was poor and there was no place to sit so we opted to eat out instead. The room was clean but the shower could benefit from some Clorox, so could the towels which were old and stained. The hotel is within walking distance of St. George Street, the Castillo de San Marcos and Ripleys. Even so, next time I will definitely stay some place else.

2 Thank Barbara1106
West Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed September 14, 2011

This was by far the worst hotel I have ever been to, and due to business I have stayed in many many hotels. After a very late flight, my sister and I arrived at 1:30 am and were "greeted" by a very snotty woman who promptly informed us, her tone dripping in disdain, that she had no reservation for us. Even though we had a printed confirmation with a confirmation number, we were told by Lydia that her "cards' had no reservation listed for us and that she was "doing work" on her computer and the system could not be interrupted. After staring at us as if we were inconveniencing her, accusing us of being morons and booking at the wrong hotel, and calling around to all other Best Westerns in the area...Lydia was finally able to determine that another one of her fine coworkers had booked us under the wrong dates. With that said, Lydia did nothing to offer us a room or any type of suggestion, instead she just stared at us as if we were interrupting her and she just could not be bothered. After I told her that this was completely unacceptable and started screaming at her, she finally replied snidely" well i think I have one room, God" ...after running our credit card AGAIN she told us our room number and THREW our credit card and room keys at us, literally threw them...she then slammed the window (used at night instead of going inside) down so hard it sounded like it almost shattered. Upon entrance to the room we were enveloped by the smell of cigarettes (in our non smoking room), and greeted by dirty bed linens, no toilet paper, a broken air conditioner, and cockroaches just to add to the ambiance. I could barely even get myself to sit on the bed to sleep because I was afraid of catching bed bugs or some other disease. In addition, the pool was disgusting and the parking lot was so narrow we could barely eek our tiny economy car out of the spot without hitting the wall The next morning, after bringing our complaint to the manager, we were told that she would knock $5 of the price of the room...the whole hotel isn't even worth $5...the place should be condemned, with Lydia inside of it.

Room Tip: Do not stay here
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank sherif831
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Within walking distance to many attractions. Good service. Front desk very helpful with signts and coupons.

Room Tip: Parking very convenient. Right outside room
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank RubyIsland
sid d, Manager at Best Western Spanish Quarters Inn, responded to this review, September 12, 2011
Thank you for your stay with us, we appreciate your business. Look forward to seeing you next time you are in town.
Florida
Reviewed September 1, 2011

This small Best Western is within easy walking distance of St. George Street and the Spanish Quarter, the Castillo de San Marcos and the Marina. No frills, but safe, clean and comfortable. Helpful front desk personnel, free access to WiFi, little frig/freezer in room, thick towels. Nice hot tub and pool. Standard boring free breakfast. Excellent value for folks who are out visiting the town during the day and just want a place to sleep at night close to the major sights.

Room Tip: Before you unpack, check that the toilet works well.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank KristenFlorida
Riverview, Florida
Reviewed August 30, 2011

Husband and I stayed at this hotel for two nights. The people are friendly and the pool area was nice, but our room was less than satisfactory. The items I didn't find appealing in the room was there was dust everywhere dresser, tables, headboards, toilet seat and bathtub. I need a clean room and especially a bathroom or else I feel like I'm in a hostel. There was no shampoo in our room, so begs the qst. was it really cleaned? The room had a/c, but it still felt very humid. We felt sticky and hot. Also, the first morning my husband informed me he found a tissue in his bed, so again was the room cleaned? I would have changed the sheets immediately but that was his queen bed, so whatever. Also had issues with our toilet, on the first day asked for a plunger and thought we fixed the issue, then the morning we were checking out the toilet over flows and so nasty water is all on the tile. They came plunged and soaked up the water, but did not mop, ahhhhhhh. so we wore our shoes the rest of the time getting dressed, so crap was probably tracked all in the room, room 216. other things that aren't essential but just nice to have in any hotel would be a dvd player and a luggage folding shelf. We don't plan on returning, i do like the fact they are a green hotel, but I can't stand a dirty room, and for the military discount of $99/night I guess that's what we get.

Room Tip: don't get room 216, if you really have to stay here
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple