“Dont waste your time”
Review of Oceanview Lodge

Oceanview Lodge
Ranked #33 of 79 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed February 16, 2009

I booked my reservation thru hotelclub.net (another place to avoid)
when i arrived they didnt acknowledge my reservation because of new ownership...so here i am stuck.
I asked if they could at least give me one of the open rooms at the rate i reserved on line.
Their response: Sure..no problem, we can give you the same room at the double the price.

Let my mistake be your lesson. Stick with reputable hotels.

• Stayed: February 2009
1  Thank slowdive123

Reviewed December 2, 2008

Stay at any hotel other than this one.

We reserved adjoining rooms a month prior to driving down to St Augustine's Vilano Beach. We arrived late in the evening after a long drive (with a sick kid) and were told there were new owners of the hotel and they gave their friends our rooms/reservation. Before going any further, I have to give a lot of credit to the woman who actually runs the place. She was more than courteous, apologetic, and kind to us, but I could not have been more enraged by the fact that they chose to ignore the reservation. She was even nice enough to comp us a room because it was so late and we had nowhere else to go. I will leave things there with respect to the rules of these reviews.

My advice to anyone considering this "hotel" is to go thirty yards away, spend a little more money, and enjoy the Hampton. It's cleaner, nicer, and the hotel actually honors reservations.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank bglodde
Reviewed July 7, 2008

Again I'm back to review another memorial day weekend stay. While one admits this IS a motel the rooms are clean, you are steps from the beach and if you request the 3rd floor you get an ocean view. We always enjoy our stays here. Construction in the area is still ongoing but from what we saw it looks like it will be nice when done.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed May 27, 2008

We spent one night at the The Ocean Blue II before going to Daytona Beach for two nights and wished we had stayed at Ocean Blue II the entire three nights. Ocean Blue II is a small, three story, no frills hotel on the ocean. There is a building between the hotel and beach, which will block the view if you are on the first floor. The views from 2nd and 3rd floors are great. Our jacuzzi room was clean and spacious, with a small refrigerator and microwave. There is a small pool, but no other amenities. The beach is beautiful, uncrowded and clean. The town is making some municipal improvements, so there is construction going on during the day, but the results should be fabulous. There is not much nearby, but the hotel is a short drive from St. Augustine (5 miles) for restaurants and entertainment. This is a great place for rest, relaxation, and hanging out at the beach. If you are looking for luxury, and/or nightlife, go elsewhere. We went to Daytona Beach, spent twice the price for a room, had to deal with large crowds and noise, and wished we were back at Ocean Blue II. Also, check in with Donna was great - very professional and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 24, 2008

We needed a dog friendly hotel, and this one is. It is also inexpensive. However, there were 2 large (over an inch long) dead bugs in my parents room upon arrival, and there was a live one in my room that my sister had to kill. The rooms are decorated adequately but the doors and appliances are really rusty, and the linens do not look clean. I am sitting on a bed with a brown stain on the comforter.

There is sporadic wifi, which is nice, and it is not really ocean view but I am not picky about that - I am not here to look out my hotel windows. However, the insect issue did concern me very much and I feel guilty for getting my family to book this hotel. Do not come here, even with your dog - research some more options first.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2007

Hotel was not ocean view (500 feet from hotel). Behind hotel is a large parking lot, under construction at the time I was there. Behind that was a restaurant nearly the length of the hotel - you could not even see the beach.

They advertise all rooms are queen sized beds - they are double beds. (Measured/saw tag on sheets.)

Service was terrible.

Many other hotels nearby that were 1/2 the price, nicer, and were actually beach front. We received a credit for our room, left and went to another nearby hotel...much happier.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed July 8, 2007

When we made the reservation to stay at the Ocean Blue II, we weren't told about the $10 booking fee charged per day. But more of a disappointment was the so-called 'ocean view from every room.' The view was of a huge construction site and the back of a large building, of which on either side you could see a distant glimpse of ocean. The rooms are not soundproof and the air conditioning unit is extremely loud (which, if you can get used to, drowns out most of the other noise, EXCEPT the shutting of the sliding glass doors that you constantly hear open and slam shut all over the building).
Perhaps staying on the top floor would be much better...at least the view would be.
The bathroom is outdated and tiny. The pool is ridiculously small.
The only plus was that the staff was friendly.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family