Tripadvisor
St. Augustine

“Absolutely one of the worse seafood dinners in a long time.”

Schooner's Seafood House
Ranked #105 of 634 Restaurants in St. Augustine
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed January 21, 2020

Out family ate their 1/20/2020 for dinner and had the shrimp dinner special. I am not sure where the shrimp came from but they were terrible.their fresh fish of the day and fresh catch of the day was Mahi, really, in St Augustine in January. Maybe flounder, sheepshead. They had no fresh fish only mahi for every fish dish except chicken fried flounder. Who serves such a dish for flounder? The service was good. I assume the place was full due to the two for one drinks since that is what everyone was enjoying so maybe go for drinks but I would not eat there.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (794)

Reviewed January 19, 2020

We are usually in this area two or three times a year and always stop here for a great Seafood meal! No matter what you order, it will be awesome and you won't go home hungry! Portions are large and desserts spot on! Locals and travelers know a keeper when they see one.

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed January 18, 2020

Finally, a place that knows how to fry seafood. Shrimp, scallops, oysters, mahi-mahi all delicately fried in a light, crispy, tasty batter. Had some of the best onion rings ever. Even the tartar and cocktail sauces are very good. You have to try the home-made peanut butter pie, drizzled with chocolate syrup. Great food at very reasonable prices. The server, Travis, deserves a raise!

1  Thank jaymW2005UE
Reviewed January 16, 2020

Needs to make clear what you get when you place an order. I asked my waitress about the fish sandwich. Menu said Fried fish sandwich (.50 extra for grilled or broiled) Also, .75 additional for cheese. It was priced at 9.49. I asked her what kind of fish was on the sandwich. She stated either Mahi or Flounder. I asked if I could substitute another side for the french fries and she said yes. I then ordered a "grilled Mahi sandwich with cheese" Expecting to be charged 9.49 plus .50 for grilling and .75 for cheese. When I got my bill I was charged $17.??, not sure what the change amount was. I asked the server why I had been charged that amount. She claimed that with my order I was served the Mahi dinner with the bun being one of my sides. Seriously?? This was not information given to me when I asked her the above questions. If that was the case, it should have been explained to me what It was and the charge. No way would I have ordered a "sandwich" for over $17.00. And a small bun is considered a side??? If this is the way they do business, then I am very disappointed and will not go back there. Ruined my evening!!

Reviewed January 14, 2020 via mobile

My mom wanted fried shrimp and a baked potato, so after asking for recommendations on a SA FB page, we decided on Schooner's. I was surprised at how few restaurants offer baked potatoes as a side dish. So this is a plus for Schooner's. The shrimp were just ok. They needed some salt or some type of seasoning. Thank goodness for the pink sauce, which was delicious. However, if the shrimp were seasoned properly, it would not be needed. The hushpuppies were great. I had a side salad which was nothing but lettuce with a huge pile of carrots and a slice of tomato. Mom had the sweet potato casserole, which she said was pretty good. The service was great, and you get a lot of food for the price.