“Its their way or the highway and the food-eh”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Acapulco Mexican Restaurant - CLOSED

Acapulco Mexican Restaurant
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Its their way or the highway and the food-eh”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

The view is nice. However, I encountered 2 things that view or not, I wont go back. My first issue is that I asked if I could just get some grilled chicken and flour tortillas. My son doesnt like all of the extras that come with most dishes (rice, guac, lettuce, etc). The waitress informed me that they dont make any changes on weekends-no substitutions. It seemed ridiculous because if they have chicken that they use to make chicken fajitas (chicken strips) whats the big deal-I am not making a substition-perhaps she means special requests? OK so fine, then I asked if I could get a quesadilla with no cheese. Again, "sorry we cant make subsititions". I said, I am not making a substituion, I am DELETING-you make money because I am not wanting all that stuff on it. It makes me think that they maybe they are not making the food themselves-maybe comes in frozen-I dont know. So-word of warning its their way or the highway. My SECOND issue is that I orderd their steak chimchurri (I cant recall what the dish is actually titled-but thats what it is says in the description). It was supposed to be skirt steak. It was not. And it was rubbery. There wasnt any "chimchurri". It was rubbery overcooked steak with pico de gallo. Chimchurri is a sauce with parsely, garlic, olive oil, red wine vinegar. It was awful. I wouldnt recommend it. Nice location and view so if thats what most important-knock yourself out otherwise, there are far better places to eat with a view.

3 Thank Davethewave1

Middle of the woods, Missouri
“Good enough to return the next night”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2014

We loved the food so much the first night we went that we returned the very next night. Of course, this may be slightly slanted by the pitcher of margarita's the two of us had. Very good margaritas I might add. Food was spicy without being overly hot. The only disappointment was with the salsa that came with the chips. This was watery with no twang at all with it. The next night we asked if they could spice it up and we had a nicer sauce with a chipotle type flavor and a very nice kick.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank MoGlenn_and_Sweetsop
Columbus, Georgia
“Where's the great food in St Aug?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

This was our second attempt to find a great restaurant in St. Augustine. We will never eat here again and really, the restaurant needs a major overhaul or just close. The blonde girl who brought our chips and watered-down salsa was RUDE for no reason and even snarled at me later on when I saw her sitting on her butt when I went to the ladies room (that smelled bad). Don't know what her problem was but she has one. Our waitress was super, though. Fajitas were good, everything else terrible. The red sauce on the burritos and enchiladas tasted like ketchup (probably was). The top-shelf drinks were watered-down. Restaurant needs to close or needs a major overhaul. It has the best location and another restaurant would be better suited for that corner spot!

2 Thank GorgiGirl2014
Bluffton, South Carolina
“Great View with Good Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014

The restaurant was well-located and view was very nice. It was decorated in a fun, colorful way, but you had no choice in downstairs seating. You could only go up stairs. Our food was prepared when we ordered it, so it was hot. My granddaughter was with me and really enjoys Mexican food and she was pleased with her choice. I had a combination plate and enjoyed it. The waitress at first was difficult to understand and seemed to be in discussion with another staff member which was confusing when trying to place the order. The service was slow, but they were busy so I understood that. We were not rushed after we got our meal which was a plus as a lot of the restaurants in St. Augustine seemed to be in a hurry to get you in and out.

• Visited May 2014
North Lawrence, Ohio
“TERRIBLE”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

We visited St. Augustine Fla for a family vacation and met up with some friends who recommended this restaurant. We have a family of six, and thought that this would be a place to save a little money and get a good meal. We asked one of the locals about this establishment and was told that it was the only Mexican restaurant in the area and that it is not very good.
We decided to go despite the locals telling us that it is not very good, big mistake on our part. We arrive at the restaurant and the hostess seats us, she was not very friendly, not a huge deal. We are seated and the waitress takes the drink order for the adults and not the children. The adults order water and margarita', she brings the water but the margarita's never arrive.
She finally takes the drink order for the kids and the dinner orders. We order mostly fajita dinners with one getting something else. They bring us chips and water downed salsa. If you want more chips they are extra, I have never seen this before at a Mexican Restaurant. We also ordered cheese with chorizo sausage. They don't bring the cheese until the dinners arrives, of course the chips are gone and they charge extra if you want more. There was no chorizo sausage in the cheese, it was absolutely terrible.
Now lets get to the dinners, bland no flavor at all and very small portion. This is by far the worst dinners we have ever had at a Mexican Restaurant. The kids would not even eat their dinners because they were so bad.
Now for the service, the waitress was rude and never came back to the table to see if we needed anything. Our waters all were empty and of course the margarita's never did arrive. We finally had to get up and ask someone if we could get water. We are not there long because the food is so bad so we ask for the check. The bring it to us and there is 18% added on to our already $100.00 BILL for tip because we have a part of six. So not only did we over pay for this horrible food but we paid an $18.00 tip for no service. We complained about the tip being added on and they did not want to hear it. Not only should we not have paid the tip but we should have refused to pay for this awful food.
Please do not visit this restaurant, it will ruin your day in this beautiful town. The city should shut this place down, what a ripoff. PLEASE for your family's sake do not expose them to such a terrible place.

4 Thank Paul S