“Wonderful location”

Hilton St. Augustine Historic Bayfront
Ranked #13 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 9, 2013

The Hilton Bayfront in St. Augustine is located in the old city. The location is excellent--you never have to get in the car. The room was fairly small, but it did not matter--we were always out on the balcony or out walking through the old town.
The staff was friendly and efficient. The room was clean and had an excellent flat screen HD TV. The toiletries were of high quality and the towels were large and fluffy.
The only reason this hotel did not earn a 5 from me is that the water pressure in the shower is low and also, smoking is allowed on balconies, which ruins it for non-smokers who want to enjoy their balconies without smoke coming from next door.

Room Tip: The balcony rooms which overlook the bay are a must! They are worth the extra money.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonGM-USTHD, General Manager at Hilton St. Augustine Historic Bayfront, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Thank you for your great review. I am sorry you had a water pressure issue, we have decided to install a booster pump so we can avoid this problem in the future. We are also returning to a non-smoking status as a hotel. Hopefully when you return again, you will find these areas corrected and to your liking.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,822)

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Loved the location!! Stayed first weekend in January 2013 with my family. Other than the location there is nothing exemplary. I would choose to stay here again because of the location. It is within walking distance of most things and the trolley will pick you up right at the door if you ask the doorman to ring them.

Room Tip: Choose upstairs room with a view. Rooms are tight but the location is great!! Staff not so personab...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

We are pleased to know you enjoyed being located in the midst of the historic area. I am sorry we were unable to "WOW" you during your stay. I hope you will return soon so we can make the stay a memorable one.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Nice location, great view, and excellent room! We stayed the 11/30-12/1 weekend and caught the parade. Even though it was raining, it was still lots of fun being able to watch it while eating breakfast and then from the balcony of our room.

It certainly is on the pricey side but as other reviewers have pointed out all the staff is top notch. They are very accomodating and helpful with anything that you require. We had dinner in the Aviles Restaurant and the "buffet" breakfast. The Avile Restaurant is excellent and could easily stand alone against any other restaurant in the area - it's not like your standard hotel food. This place is solid! My wife and I each tried the Prime Rib special which was all the prime rib you wanted for $22. Came with bread, salad, and a side. Awesome! Also have their ham and cheese croquettes as an appetizer. Food was great!

Only issue we had was that our bathroom was a little dirty but after our call down to the front desk, they quickly remedied the situation. There will always be problems, but that is really the sign of a good hotel - good management and quality people. I recommend!

Room Tip: Ask for balconies with a street view
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind comments and review of our hotel and historic city. I am sorry you had an issue with our housekeeping and am glad to know that it was corrected immediately. I assure you, we expect no problems in housekeeping ang I do apologize that we had to come back and correct the situation. Please return soon, we will make sure everything is perfect for your next stay.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

This hotel is in a perfect location - can't beat it ! That's the only great thing to say - otherwise it's actually really a disappointment being a Hilton - the rooms are comfortable/decent - but dated. The halls and carpet are in need of work. I was uncomfortable that the "key access" to the buildings were not used - pretty much open access from the streets - security odviously isn't a concern. We didn't eat at the hotel -- too many other great places in the area to eat and drink. The staff was ok - not exactly the Hilton Standard for Customer Service. The parking is a total rip off -- $21 to park -- really?

Room Tip: ask to stay on 2nd floor.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
HiltonGM-USTHD, General Manager at Hilton St. Augustine Historic Bayfront, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

I am sorry you didn't enjoy our decor. The hotel was required to build to standards required in the historic district and we chose to furnish the hotel in period furniture. Obviosly that precludes normal Hilton furniture and it would appear dated if viewed out of context. The hotel is secure at night as we have a security guard on duty and he locks all the accesses as well as monitors the traffic in and out. The hotel consists of 19 building interconnected and so while access seem easy, there are security locks at night as well as security cameras. Lastly, to build in the district requires special arrangements for parking and thus we charge for that amenity. I realize my answers will not satisfy your complaints but I wanted to let you know that we certainly have tried to address concerns such as you have raised. I hope you will return to our city agin.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Our stay here was wonderful and we would definitely come back.
Overall the pros were: great location, great views, lots of charm and character, clean, friendly staff, comfortable room, and great valet service.
Overall the cons were: slow service for the breakfast (might have been a one-time fluke).
We stayed here for our anniversary and they left a bottle of champagne in our room; what a great touch!

Room Tip: get a room with a view of the river and balcony if you can!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LadySeminole
HiltonGM-USTHD, General Manager at Hilton St. Augustine Historic Bayfront, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Thank you for your kind comments and review that you posted. Our effort is to provide the very best in service in all areas and I apologize the we aere lacking in the breakfast service. I will discuss this with our F&B Director immediately to prevent a recurrence in the future. Please return to sttay soon.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

You can't beat the location of this hotel - it's right near everything a tourist would want to walk to. That's also a minus if you have kids and aren't drinking yourself silly at night. Your rooms are right next to an unending procession of drunk revellers returning at all hours of the night. Also, some rooms are susceptible to the kitchen odors, giving your stay a cooked onion overall feel. Shower water pressure is weak. Otherwise pleasant staff. Not quite up to the Hilton name.

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank Hplatypus

I am sorry we didn't live up to your expectations. Our goal is to always strive to provide the very best in Hilton standards. I appreciate your constructive criticism and assure you we will make every effort to improve in the areas you cited.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

My wife and I spent Christmas 2012 in Saint Augustine Florida. We chose the Hilton downtown because of the Hilton Brand and we always stay with the Hilton. We were disappointed in the accommidations. The room was small and the furniture seems a little crowded. The staff was excellent and eager to please. My biggest surprise was the fact there was no microwave. I found out that the hotel was a partial refurbish of an older existing motel and new structures. I felt the room we had was part of the old motel as it seemed a little dated. As for the restaurant it was very good. Overall the price was a bit more that the accommidations provided as we had a great view of the alley and roof. Not impressed.

4  Thank RCL530

I am sorry our hotel did not live up to your expectaions. Let me first clarify that our hotel is entirely new construction, opening in 2005. It is actually 18 separate buildings interconnected by a corridor system. The buildings foot prints and exterior design, including balconies were built in compliance with construction requirements of the historic district. The buildings and furnishings are an attempt to replicate the Second Spanish Era of St. Augustine. Most full service Hilton properties do not proide individual microwaves in the room. I apologize if you expected one. When making reservations you will find the individual Hilton properties provide a list of their amenities in their information on the web site.

It is good to know our staff and restaurant were up to your standards and we appreciate that feedback. I hope you will return in the future so we can provide a better experience.