“Hilton Historic Bayfront downtown St Augustine, FL”

Hilton St. Augustine Historic Bayfront
Ranked #13 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
GreenLeadersSilver level
Crystal River, Florida, United States
“Hilton Historic Bayfront downtown St Augustine, FL”
Reviewed June 25, 2012

The hotel was very clean. Great Location! Food was expensive at the hotel but plenty of other places to eat close by. Didn't like that we had to pay $21 plus tax every day for parking. Hotel is expensive to stay at but if you want downtown which we did you pay for the location. Staff was nice also.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Judy D
, General Manager at Hilton St. Augustine Historic Bayfront, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Thanks for your kind comments. Iam sorry ou found the food value lacking. Please stay with us again. Prior to arrival, check for ther food promotions that we offer for our guests. Feel free to contact me personally to have me assure you can dine with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
Steubenville, Ohio
Reviewed June 23, 2012

My teen son and I stayed here for three days/nights the first part of June. Some of the reasons I chose this hotel was because it offered a balcony, gym and a pool. Of course the thought of facing the bayfront was appealing. I booked a double queen bayfront room. I will start with the negative aspects:

The balcony was shared with the adjoining room. There was absolutely no privacy when the occupants of the room next door were on their balcony. There was a very short, open-slat fence used as a divider. The people in the next room were at the hotel for a family function and other members of their party would gather on their balcony therefore. There were times when 7 or 8 people were on the balcony.

We were given an adjoining room, ugh!!!!! Although the other occupants were not overly loud, I could hear very clearly their conversations when they were in the room. Not their fault, but a connecting room is just bad.

We ate dinner on Saturday night in the hotel restaurant, Aviles. The negative was there was a party of four younger adults seated behind us. They obviously had too much to drink even before they entered the restaurant. They were so loud and obnoxious. Making terrible remarks about some people who entered the lobby ( you can see the lobby from the restaurant). Also they used profanity throughout dinner. I'm not sure what the staff could have done, but I do think because their behaviour was so inappropriate that maybe something could have been done.

The lobby was very small and very dark. I realize that some of the Spanish style furniture is dark but I prefer more light.

The gym was tiny. A few machines in what basically looked like a hotel room.

I left my camera charger plugged into an outlet in our room. I called the next morning and left a message for housekeeping. She did not return my call. After several attempts, I spoke to the head of housekeeping. She said she did not see it but she had several blackberries, etc. I basically gave up. A few days later, we received priority mail a blackberry or a blackberry charger. Now, I have to send this back. I acknowledge they tried but now it's just a hassle.

The location of the hotel is great but really if you are staying in the historic district, most any location is convenient to the sights.

The pros are as follows:

The rooms were kept clean and were comfortable.

The view from the bayfront balcony was beautiful.

Coffee was set up in the morning in the lobby. Also, there was water with lemon available throughout the day.

The restaurant was very comfortable and cozy (minus the obnoxious people). The food was excellent and we had a wonderful server.

Although the pool area was small, it was nice with a pretty view of the bay.

The bartender was friendly and made a nice drink (I only stopped there once).

We used the back entrance a lot. It was located right on Charlotte St. The front entrance took you right to the bay and a quick walk to the Fort.

Although we were on the first floor the room was very quiet.

I think the hotel rates may vary on the season and week-end vs. weekday. We were there on a Thursday, Friday and Saturday and it was very expensive (well over $300 a night). With the issues mentioned, I feel that the rate is too high.

I would certainly stay at this hotel again but look for a lesser rate or room category. I would prefer a room with a private balcony even if it did not overlook the bay directly.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your positive comments. As far as your balcony issue, there are a few rooms that don't have a shared balcony, but most do. Please feel free to request one if available. Our balcony design was based on the approval granted by our historic review board, hence the shared balconies. Also we obviously displesed you on your stay.Hopefully you will return and give us another chance to prove we are up to your expectations from a Hilton hotel.
Reviewed June 16, 2012

The location is perfect for all downtown activities. The valet parking is 21 dollars per day but not having to drive and find a parking place is so convenient. The street parking is about 1.50 per hour so the hotel isn't overpriced in their fees. St George street is one block behind the hotel and the bay in the front is absolutely beautiful. We had a bayfront balcony which was very private although the upper floors had shared balconies. The service was friendly and prompt and the rooms were spacious and clean. We have stayed here several times and never been disappointed.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank raebuch
Its always a pleasure to hear from our regular guests, and even better when they have been consistantly satisfied with our service. QWe thank you very much for your positive comments.
Eatontown, New Jersey
Reviewed June 16, 2012

I don't know how this hotel received such high ratings! Aside from the historic facade and the friendly staff, there is not much to rave about this hotel based on our stay. Our room was dark, "close" and with the air conditioner not working properly and a second make shift unit in the room, it was very noisy (room 203). When the fan was not blowing, there was a loud humming sound coming through the walls from the room next door. Needless to say, we did not get very much sleep. The location was convenient for many activities in town which we were too tired to enjoy. St Augustine is a wonderful place but I would not recommend staying at the Hilton.

Room Tip: Avoid room 203.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank a-picky-lady
I am very sorry we failed to meet your expections. We strive to give a consistantly good service level to every guest. When we don't, we make every effort to correct the situation. In your case, we obviously tried but failed. I woulod galdly discuss some service recovery options. Feel free to contact me to discuss your concerns.
Elgin, Illinois
Reviewed June 13, 2012

This hotel is awesome! We loved staying here. The hotel had an awesome history to it. The pool was the perfect size for the hotel. The restaurant inside was delicious and gorgeous! We really enjoyed this place. Oh, and Patti McRoberts was the nicest, sweetest woman I have ever met! She really an awesome employee and made our stay so enjoyable!

Loved this hotel so so much!

Room Tip: Any room is beautiful! They are all just wonderful!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cricket060712
Thank you for your kind compliments. I appreciate your citing Patti's service as she is one of our very bestt guesr service providers. We will look forward tohaving you as a return guest.
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I stayed at the Hilton for a girls weekend. We paid extra to have a balcony and we did have a beautiful view of the water. The location to shopping and resturants was excellent. I appreciated the valet parking since there is not much parking downtown.
The room was comfortable and clean if a little tired in decor. I did not care for the low flow shower head. The stream of water was so weak it was hard to rinse my hair. I did appreciate the excellent bed and slept well.
The staff at check in was helpful and cheerful. I realize that St. Augustine has a strong Spanish influence but I found the lobby very dark. I did not eat at the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms in front facing the bay are a nice splurge
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
TooLittleTime65
Reviewed June 5, 2012

In May of this year (2012) I stayed three nights at the Hilton St. Augustine Bayfront hotel. I paid a tad extra to have a bayfront room and believe me it was worth every penny. The room was nicely done and very comfortable with a balconey that overlooked Matanzas Bay and the Bidge of Lions. The horse carriages waited for their rides just across the street so you could hear the horse hooves as they clopped down the street. St. George Street is about two blocks behind the hotel, and to reach Castillo de San Marcos (the fort) just cross the street and walk along the water about the distance of 2 or 3 short blocks. I took the Old Town Trolley on the last day of visit only to find out that in St. Augustine the price of the ticket gives you three days on the trolley. Had I known that earlier I would have bought the ticket on my first day - but I am a walker so until it started to rain heavily I enjoyed the walking. The trolley also provides a free connection to a shuttle bus that will take you over to the St. Augustine Lighthouse and Alligator Farm.

Back to the hotel - - There is a charge for valet parking but once you give them the car there is really no need to see it again (unless you want to get something out) until you leave. The hotel restaurant is small and I only ate there one time. As a picky vegetarian I found it difficult not only at the hotel but in the city itself to find a lot of vegetarian choices - but I'm sort of used to that now. The service at the hotel was very friendly and helpful from the valet, to the front desk and the room attendant. The only improvement I would make would be to the balconey which in the section I stayed in I shared with one other room. There is about a 3 or 4 foot high railing to separate the two balconey areas - I would prefer a trellis that perhaps went from top to bottom to provide a bit more privacy. Other than that you will love sitting out there at all hours of the day and night. The sunrise is spectacular and at night it's nice to just watch the lights reflect off the bridge.

Room Tip: Ask for a 2nd floor bayfront room. You will hear the trolley tour drivers during the day (they stop...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo