“Nice hotel and close to attractions” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Comfort Suites Downtown

Comfort Suites Downtown
Ranked #44 of 79 Hotels in St. Augustine
Madison, Alabama
“Nice hotel and close to attractions”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

Have stayed a couple of times during side trips to St. Augustine, it is an older hotel but clean, and friendly service was experienced on each stay. The breakfast was the average Comfort Inns breakfast. I will stay here again just for the convenience of being close to the historic district of downtown. You can walk to everything as parking can be an issue in the historic part of downtown. You do have a 5 dollar a day parking in the hotel parking lot but it is worth it since you can walk to the St George St area and the fort from here easily.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Courtyard32258, Manager at Comfort Suites Downtown, responded to this review, September 6, 2016
Thank you for staying with us at Comfort Suites.
We are currently changing our management team and we are making an effort to respond to all reviews.

We hope you had a great time and we look forward to seeing you stay with us in the future

Comfort Suites Management.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Holiday, Fl.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

This is very close to the historic part of the city, 5 min or less. Facility was very clean, had been renovated, they do charge 5 a day for parking however, the rate including that was still resonable. The breakfast was the standard for Confort Inns. The staff was very friendly and helpfull. The bed was excellent.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tom b

Ormond Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

We checked in here on Halloween. 42 San Marco Avenue, Saint Augustine, FL, US, 32084.
I was confident that after staying in the choice hotel on I95, that this would be the same or better. The desk person was taking care of a couple in front of us, a man behind her and someone on the phone. I praised her for her multitasking when it came our turn, she was not entirely focused on us however.. From the time we arrived to the time we departed, it did not appear that there were more than 20 vehicles in the parking lot. Once we began unpacking I finished by putting things in the bathroom, where i noticed there was no shower curtain. I went back out to the desk, and waited for her to get off the phone. I am not sure how I choose the accessible room but I did, however all we wanted was a king bed. I asked if we could get a room with a shower curtain? I wasn't snarky about it. She told me that prior to our arrival, she had asked another manager if we could change rooms if we saw we were in an accessible room and was told no we couldn't. Not pleased I went back o the room, thinking that it was not my fault if the bathroom floor got wet, but my Fiancee went back to talk to her. He asked simply what it would take to move. She then explained what she would have to do. Call someone who would then call someone. He asked if she would, and she did. We waited 10 minutes for her to call our room. I wanted to walk to the gas station we could see though the alley window view had. My fiancee went up to see if she got approval and let her know we would be out a moment so she didn't call our room and find us not in. She ignored him while he stood there another 8 minutes then he finally wrote down that we were stepping away, 4 minutes later she said she got approval.. and we moved to the room next door with a shower curtain. I admit i was frustrated that we had to ask twice, that apparently we were part a discussion before we arrived, that in a hotel that was not booked solid we had this happen at all. Positives: the beds were comfortable, the room was clean and spacious, the breakfast was Continental as advertised, and the sound level was quiet. Do not forget that you will have to pay the 5.00 parking fee as all hotels along the shore are working on keeping people from taking spots that are for guests. However, not all hotels do this, they just give you a card to place in your car window. The next morning we were checked out by another person that just didn't seem to notice us. The staff we encountered were decidedly distracted and didn't give the same warmth we encountered at other places.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank victoria g

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

My family and I just enjoyed a long weekend in St. Augustine to celebrate my daughter's 12th birthday. This was my first time staying at this hotel, and honestly, some of the previous reviews had me worried. I was also a little concerned to find that we were on the third floor directly next to the elevator. No need to worry. There was no noise from it at all. Our room was clean, spacious, and we loved having a balcony. The air conditioner worked great, the bed was super comfortable, and all of the linens were clean. The $5 parking fee is well worth it because the hotel is within walking distance to all the attractions we came to see. Parking by the fort is much pricier, IF you can find a spot. I felt completely safe walking to and from the hotel, even late at night. The staff was very friendly and the continental breakfast was great. My daughter was especially fond of the strawberry waffles. The only complaint I would have would be the price. It was comparable to the other hotels within the area, I just feel all the hotels a bit over priced.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Lindy E

Toronto
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

I had given this hotel a poor rating in 2009 but since then, understood that they went renovations that were supposed to address some of my biggest complaints. Because of its location (it's literally within a 5 minute walk of the fort), I wanted it to be better and gave it one more chance. Unfortunately, I won't be staying there again. The renovation did address one of my complaints before about the old carpets but I ended up having an identical problem as last time with a room air conditioner that went off and on with a bang throughout the middle of the night, and I wasn't even in the same room as last time! Moreover, the bathroom wasn't as clean as it could have been and the hotel has now added a $5 daily charge for parking. Also, when you login to their Internet, it asks you if you would like to pay extra for the high speed. The parking surcharge just felt to me like a tricky way of making a rate seem lower as you can issue parking passes to guests for free to ensure that tourists aren't using the parking lot without staying there. So, after many stays at this place, I gave it one more post-renovation chance and it was a swing and a miss for me. It just hasn't improved enough and is a far cry from the place I once enjoyed staying at back in 2005-2006.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank RCollier
Thank you for staying with us at Comfort Suites.

We are currently planning for another renovation. You might want to give us another shot after this one is completed.

Travelers are raving about these St. Augustine hotels

Mabank, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed here on our trip to Port Canaveral. As a matter of fact, all along our trip we stayed at Comfort Inns or Suites. At first I was reluctant because of the $5 Parking charge but since it was downtown we went for it anyway.
The Room with Jacuzzi we had originally booked was upstairs at the very end of the Hallway, which would have been very inconvenient for my Husband, so I changed to an accessible Room at the first floor. The Room was very comfortable.
The location of the hotel is great for sight seeing. We took the trolley around town the next morning and were able to leave the Car at the Hotel until our sightseeing was over.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Annegret W
Courtyard32258, Manager at Comfort Suites Downtown, responded to this review, September 11, 2016

Lemont, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

Got the last room available on a Saturday night. Easy walk to fun! Able to get pizza delivery til 3:00 am. The staff was nice. However, I know there are haunted areas nearby, maybe at this hotel too, but I woke up smelling like I had slept with a dirty old man. More unfortunate is that we had requested clean bedding delivered to the room at checkin, we got them direct from dryer (still warm). So where did the awful smell come from? Didn't stay long enough to critique much else. To make up for that, we rented a scooter next door. Now, that was fun!

• Stayed August 2012
4 Thank 0CheapTrick
Shefali P, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Downtown, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Thank you very much for your recent review. Guest feedback is very important to us. Your comments have been forwarded to the management team to help improve future stays. Next time visit Choice Hotels website to book the best available rate when traveling.

Thanks,