“A Fun, Off-the-Beaten-Path Attraction”

Wolf's Museum of Mystery
Ranked #51 of 186 things to do in St. Augustine
More attraction details
Owner description: Wolf's Museum of Mystery is the personal home of Wolfgang Von Mertz. It houses amazing and rare items from all over the world to include the following galleries: An Alien Mortuary A Shotgunned Sasquatch Exhibit A Horror Movie Theatre Room A Dark Art Gallery A Lizzie Borden Bedroom A Voodoo Room A Cannibal Kitchen A 40 Foot Carnival Gift Shop Even an Countess Elizabeth Bathory bathroom and much much more. It's always changing and what makes the museum especially unique is everything is for sale! So visit Ali, Wolf, their husky Chinook, Mr. Nibbles in the lobby, Burt - the man eating rabbit in the courtyard, or one of their three cats always meddled somewhere in the home. You won't regret the experience! $5 Entrance Fee
Bethany Beach, Delaware
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“A Fun, Off-the-Beaten-Path Attraction”
Reviewed April 11, 2014

When I knew I was going to be doing St, Augustine solo, due to being a golf widow, I knew Wolf's would be my first stop. I love all things "strange" and this definitely didn't disappoint.

Now, this place isn't for everyone, but they make that well known from the get-go with a sign on the front porch. The highlights for me were the stuffed giraffe, the beautiful husky, the infant gas mask, and the delicious popcorn. Interesting combo, I know. The $5 admission fee is a sweet deal... What else can you do for $5? And, yes, it can be used as store credit. Unfortunately, everything I wanted (and I wanted a lot) was out of my budget.

The coolest part for me was seeing the Manson letters and realizing the Wolfs are from Delaware, like me!

I would recommend this to anyone who likes the unusual. This is nothing like The Lightner, so I have no idea how they could be compared. It's definitely apples and oranges.

Thanks to the Wolfs for welcoming everyone into your home! I hope to return one day.

Visited April 2014
3 Thank 256HeatherS

Medford, New York
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“I was really disappointed in Wolfs”
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

This was one of the things ideally wanted to see. The collections were somewhat interesting on the first floor, but the second floor horror rooms I found to just be silly. The 5 dollar admission can be used against a purchase, but honestly nothing I would want to buy. They are a store that charges admission. If they didn't do that, I'm sure they would be out of business. If you like interesting collections, head to the Lightner museum, which was fascinating.

3 Thank Computergeek60
St. Augustine, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What a collection!!”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

It's hard to imagine that all of this is just one man's collection. From antique movie paraphernalia and real skull caps, to Lizzie Borden's purse and a butler who will creep you out at a quick glance, this place is a MUST SEE. The owners are very friendly and will engage in conversation. It's only $5 to get in, and they'll give you a $5 gift certificate good for anything in the store. (everything in the museum is for sale, I understand) Don't miss this creepy little treasure of a museum!

Visited March 2014
Wolfmertz, Owner at Wolf's Museum of Mystery, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
We are lucky to get people like you to visit with and then who go the extra mile and take the time to write us a big fat review. Thank you very much!
Miami, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Brilliant idea”
Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

Being an educator of anatomy to medical students, I found this place as not only as a sanctuary, but a unique and eclectic home away from home. I would have been elated to meet the great Wolfgang in person and commend him on his brilliant masterpiece, only his brain could have conjured up this.My 6 year old son keeps asking when we are going to return. Good thing we visit the St. Augustine 4 times a year.

Visited March 2014
Wolfmertz, Owner at Wolf's Museum of Mystery, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Best comment given to date and you made my entire month Professor! Upon your next visit, I absolutely would love to meet you and yours! Thanks again!
Florida
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“If you enjoy oddities, you're in the right place!”
Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

My son & I love odd collections and we were eager to visit on our recent trip. We had a lot of fun looking at the collection! A human brain, iron lung, ceremonial skull caps, Charles Manson postcards and much more. What an eclectic collection on the macabre. You can tell the owner put a lot of love into this collection. Be on the lookout for the residing spirit too! For $5, you can't lose!

Wolfmertz, Owner at Wolf's Museum of Mystery, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. Hope to see you again!