When we arrived at the hotel, the first room we were given had sort of an odd smell about it, and the floor was somewhat damp. The deadbolt did not function either. We talked to the front desk and they had no problem giving us a different room. The second room was much better.
The staff at the hotel was absolutely wonderful. I could not have asked for a friendlier bunch of people to deal with. They had a great deal of accurate information about the area, and were patient with all of the questions that I had. The bed was very comfortable, and the room was quite clean. Location-wise, the hotel was great. It was about two blocks from one of the Sightseeing Tours (Red Train) ticket purchase locations. It is also within about 1.5 miles of downtown, which I consider walking distance. It was also just a few blocks from US-1, which was convenient. Breakfast, for being a standard continental breakfast, was sufficient. The lady who was working the breakfast shift was nice and on top of things.
ORBITZ had microwaves and refrigerators listed in the amenities, but this turned out to be true ONLY for the suites, but not for standard rooms. This meant that we were unable to keep any leftovers from restaurants, and we had to throw food away after every single meal. I spoke to an Ortibz rep after our stay and was told that they would clarify this in the list of amenities.
The hotel also was in the process of replacing the hallway and stairwell carpet while we were there. We saw maintenance personnel working on a variety of projects while we were there.
Overall, the hotel stay was good. I may stay there again, but I would prefer to have a refrigerator and microwave in the room that I am staying in, especially to keep cold drinks cold during the hot summer months.
While you're in St Augustine, try the gyros at Georgie's Diner. They were awesome. We visited the following places, and all were worth the visit with the exception of the Fountain of Youth, which was a waste of eighteen dollars. I'll review that separately.
- Ripley's Museum
- Ripley's Ghost Train
- Sightseeing Tours Red Train
- San Sebastian Winery
- Downtown St. Augustine
- Georgie's Diner
- Barnacle Bill's
- Fountain of Youth
- Der Pretzel Haus
- Our Lady of La Leche Mission
- Greek Orthodox Shrine
- The Old Drugstore
- The Old Spanish Hospital
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, Hotels.com, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, St. Augustine Downtown Historic District reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Country Inn & Suites St. Augustine Downtown Dist Hotel Saint Augustine
- Country Inn And Suites St. Augustine Downtown Dist
- Country Inn Saint Augustine
- Saint Augustine Country Inn