Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, St. Augustine Downtown Historic District
Ranked #43 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Their best attribute is their location, near the historic district and Vilano Beach but away from the main noisy road. I think they are trying to get better. Their breakfast was so so, with the kitchen staff being very friendly and helpful.
The room was ok, but for the price you would do better at other similar hotel chains. The bathroom had a problem with the shower faucet coming off while scalding water was pouring!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Benjamin M

Reviewed April 11, 2013

The room was ok clean but I did notice alot of paint chipping on the walls and on the ac unit. I was a little disappointed that there was no mini fridge or microwave in the room. The parking lot is more like an obstacle course which is weird but not a big issue. What was so great about the hotel was the location literally minutes from everything! Could not beat the location. Sheena was very nice at check in. The breakfast was good as well. I would say the hotel rooms need an update. All in all it was a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Krispy1488
Reviewed April 10, 2013

First, let me start with saying this was our favorite place to stay when visiting St. Augustine.
It's located on the outskirts of the town away from the traffic and noise but close enough to get there fast, either by your own car or provided transportation.
Now for the rest of the story. We just stayed here again and we were very disappointed.
We had read the trip advisor reviews and were a bit concerned but decided to go ahead anyway, believing many exaggerate their experiences.
I think now they were accurate.
The first thing I noticed was the condition of the lobby, including a spinning post on the lobby staircase. Next was the smell in the Inn, not sure what it was but it was not pleasant , also present in the room.
Next was the room, the first thing noticed was the smell, next the door stop on the wall was smashed through the wall.
The bathroom mirror paint was missing on a large section and the bathroom was not clean.
There were obvious fingerprints and dust on the chrome toilet paper holders for example.
The furniture is now dated with some edges worn off.
The beds are as far from pillow top beds as you can get, felt like plywood.

I read responses from Silvie M, Manager of the inn before booking and thought they are taking these comments seriously, I see now that is not true.

On the staff, it was 50/50 the check in was nice and friendly the check out was not, ignored and finally gr-umped at.

Before staying here again I will be reading future reviews carefully to see if they deserve another chance.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank lvinginparadise18
Silvie M, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, St. Augustine Downtown Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Dear Guest,
We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at Country Inn. If you had come and reported these issues to use, we would have gladly taken care of the situation immediately. We are taking these comments very seriously. We are sharing them on our weekly meetings. Please feel free to call me at any time if you need anything further.
Silvie Mcdowell

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Let's be brief here:

no hot water in the room. Called the front desk and was told "oh, just run the hot water for 5 minutes and it will get to your room." So we wasted water for five minutes and, yes, it did eventually get there.

poorly cleaned room. If you're missing a 38C blue bra from Victoria's Secrets, I know where it was -- on the floor of our room.

You know what really worries me the most? They'll figure out who I am and tell me to come back for a complimentary night!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ArmchairA

Dear Guest,
We are sorry that you had to wait 5 minutes for the hot water. We have the new tankless water heaters and you have to wait a few minutes for the hot water to come on. I have been visiting a couple hotels in this area and they have the same water heaters as our hotel and they have to wait a few minutes for the hot water as well. I addressed the cleanliness issue with my housekeeping staff to assure we do not have this situation occur again in the future.
Silvie Mcdowell

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Have no complaints! Well - the parking is a bit funny - would have been nice to know I had to go back out on the road to get into the parking lot - Other then that - everything was wonderful - clean room, comfy bed, great library in the lobby, well lit parking lot, friendly & helpful staff, entertaining breakfast fixer!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

We stay at Carlson hotels frequently. This trip we were in a 1 BR king suite with our 2 Children. The man who works in the dining area is terrific. I wish I had caught his name. He was friendly and funny and kept the very busy breakfast area well stocked, clean and running smoothly. We were allowed to check in about 2 hours early which was very nice, but the previous occupants left overs were still in the refrigerator. I expected to have fresh towels placed in our room at some point during our stay but they never were replaced. Good location, with great little Mexican place right across the street.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights at this hotel, and loved every minute of it. The staff was extremely helpful. Debbie at the front desk helped plan our whole trip-she even called and had a van come and pick us up to take us to our trolley tours. She gave great recommendations for sites nearby and restaurants. Otto works in the dining area where the complimentary breakfast is served, and he goes WAY beyond expectations. He made sure to ask every table how they were doing and how their food was, as well as collecting our dishes from the table as soon as we put them to the side! The only bad things about this hotel are: it is a bit farther from downtown than we thought when we booked; the elevator is a bit loud and scary; the pillows are very small. Other than that, we will be back every time we visit St. Augustine!

Room Tip: First and second story rooms are accessible by staircase as well as elevator, whereas the third floo...